Albert gets a home!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifervb

I have stumbled over a third party ad, from Small Angels Rescue in Frederick, for the Fairfax County Animal Shelter.

The little man is a black and white hooded rat (age unknown) and he has been at the shelter for about 2 weeks.

He is a gorgeous little guy and since I am still mourning over the fact that I can't get my hands on the little rat man, in Halifax, NS, I am seriously considering giving this lonely little dude a new home.

My question is; what is the success rate of intros for adult males? Ben is neutered but Basil is not. Basil, on the other hand, is extremely gentle and non-aggressive. Aside from looking for any health problems, what else do I need to look for if I go to view this little guy? Can I assume that his behavior towards me will be a good indicator that he would be friendly with my resident males? The shelter has no clue how old he is but he doesn't look that old to me.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am considering going to see "Albert" tomorrow and would like to do so with some of your rattie expertise under my belt! :love6:

Hugs,

First of all, rats really don't show their true colours until about 1 to 2 weeks of being settled into their new homes. There is so many factors that can alter their behaviours like smells, sounds, habitat and the presence of other rats.
So just meeting the new guy won't tell you how he will be with your boys.
If you are ready to neuter both Basil and new guy, then I'd say give it a try. I've always been successful with all my intros. Sometimes some require neutering or more patience in picking the right time for intros.
I for one would say go for it... if you are up to the challenge should there be one.

Just thought I would add my imput about what you said as far as "if he's friendly with you, does that mean he will be friendly with other rats".

My alpha Kira is the sweetest girl in the world when it involves people. Shes spunky and a typical active girl but shes also super sweet and probably one of the most people loving rats that I've ever had....but if you put her with rats she doesn't know she will tear them apart. Shes sooo mean I can't even believe it sometimes...even to her own her own cage mates. Shes always pushing them around and forcing them on the ground and won't let them near the food bowl...the list of all the cruel things she does goes on and on. Infact the only reason she has cagemates is because I introed them as babies. She gets so much worse as she gets older and I can't do any intros now because she just won't accept new rats and I'm terrified that if I even tried she would severely injure them.

Just thought I would let you know. :nod:

I also completely agree with what Jo said.

bruxxy said:
Just thought I would add my imput about what you said as far as "if he's friendly with you, does that mean he will be friendly with other rats".

My alpha Kira is the sweetest girl in the world when it involves people. Shes spunky and a typical active girl but shes also super sweet and probably one of the most people loving rats that I've ever had....but if you put her with rats she doesn't know she will tear them apart. Shes sooo mean I can't even believe it sometimes...even to her own her own cage mates. Shes always pushing them around and forcing them on the ground and won't let them near the food bowl...the list of all the cruel things she does goes on and on. Infact the only reason she has cagemates is because I introed them as babies. She gets so much worse as she gets older and I can't do any intros now because she just won't accept new rats and I'm terrified that if I even tried she would severely injure them.

Just thought I would let you know. :nod:

I also completely agree with what Jo said.

I wonder if Kira is super possessive about her humans and hence feels the need to dominate the others. My rat Crackers was a little like that. She wasn't mean in the slightest and she never bit or attacked the others, but she still was the alpha rat. She had this aire of extreme confidence and refused to let the others dominate. She was *very* into her humans and I think that inspired her to be the alpha.

Thank you!!! It occurred to me, after posting, that my statement about meeting the little guy, to see if he was friendly, was probably one of the stupidest things to write... I mean DUH.... All my little guys behaved differently when I brought them home!!!! Don't you just LOVE brain f@rt moments!!!??? :laugh4:

I have spoken with the animal shelter and little Albert is currently in foster care. They will call me on Monday to set up a meeting.

I am pretty sure that I will be taking this little man home with me. He is just a darling little fellow!

Here is a link to his picture... (hands off... I saw him FIRST!!!! :laugh4: :love4:)

http://www.petharbor.com/

enter zipcode: 22033
find shelters
Fairfax County Animal Services (8th one down)
search now (at top of list)
search type: adoptable pets
animal type: others
define search: Breed: rodent
search now
Albert is still on page one

Sorry that I couldn't provide a direct link but the website wouldn't let me save the picture and it didn't offer any other link other than the Petharbor one!

What do you think? He still seems to me to be pretty young.... like around my boy's ages (between 12-15 months)

I wish I could have met him today but I am still happy that he is in foster care! That means that he won't be euthanized anytime soon!!!

The shelter employee was not able to tell me much but she did say that he had been "abandoned" by one of the family's older children (gone off to college or something and left Albert behind) and the parents were not interested in maintaining his pet.

At least they didn't deposit him in an alley to fend for himself. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I think the little guy would like living with me, Ben and Basil.

Yes, if neuters are necessary... then neuters will be done. I want a merry threesome and not a group of testosterone generated aggression. :wink:

:love6: The little fuzz bundle :love6:

well geez jennifervb, if you're willing even to neuter him to have him, and you want him then you better take him and sort things out.
I was actually kinda steaming at the suggestion that 'if' you were ready to neuter him then give it a try. It's made to sound like removing a hangnail. Neutering is major surgery, and not every vet is good at it. It's not something everyone should consider as an ease to intro's. If you have a good experienced vet that's one thing, but if you don't then it could be a death sentence, or long months of painful nursing for the mom & suffering & healing for the kid. I don't think it should be touted as a simple remedy - or a first remedy - more like a last remedy.

You get your Albert, I'm gonna hope & pray he's good with Ben & Basil right off the bat. Dreaded intros are no fun.

Sorry Fidget, I know you've had quite a difficult experience with neuters and vets. But I stay true to the fact that neuters should always be considered when having a stressed out rat. But you are right, I should always mention that you need a rat savvy vet.

Jen, I followed the link, followed the instructions and found Albert! He is gorgeous!!! and you better hurry and get him cause if my mom sees him, she'll ratnap him for sure. black and white rats are divine!!

Fidget said:
well geez jennifervb, if you're willing even to neuter him to have him, and you want him then you better take him and sort things out.
I was actually kinda steaming at the suggestion that 'if' you were ready to neuter him then give it a try. It's made to sound like removing a hangnail. Neutering is major surgery, and not every vet is good at it. It's not something everyone should consider as an ease to intro's. If you have a good experienced vet that's one thing, but if you don't then it could be a death sentence, or long months of painful nursing for the mom & suffering & healing for the kid. I don't think it should be touted as a simple remedy - or a first remedy - more like a last remedy.

You get your Albert, I'm gonna hope & pray he's good with Ben & Basil right off the bat. Dreaded intros are no fun.

Thanks Fidget! Trust me, no one will be getting neutered unless there is no other alternative. Neuters are only used as a last resort in my book. I am still kicking myself for having had Ben neutered. I read that neutering him would reduce his chances of prostate cancer only then to have found out (on the Rat Shack) that prostate cancer was very rare in males! OY!!!!!

Fortunately, my vet is experienced with rodents and Ben's neuter healed beautifully. Dr. Davis made it very clear that she will not do scrotal neuters. She said that they are dangerous and are more prone to infection that neuters through the abdomen. Ben did not have alot of pain and he healed quickly. Dr. Davis is the only vet I trust to neuter my boys.

I think you are right Fidget. Unless there is a really good reason.... Albert will be coming home with me. Kinda got my heart set on that little man. :love6:

jorats said:
Sorry Fidget, I know you've had quite a difficult experience with neuters and vets. But I stay true to the fact that neuters should always be considered when having a stressed out rat. But you are right, I should always mention that you need a rat savvy vet.

Jen, I followed the link, followed the instructions and found Albert! He is gorgeous!!! and you better hurry and get him cause if my mom sees him, she'll ratnap him for sure. black and white rats are divine!!

LOL!!!! Let her try!!!! She is in Canada no? :wink:

I am 3 miles from Albert's shelter.... let's see if your mom can get there faster than I can...

If she does... no harm done! As long as that little man winds up with someone I know will love and nurture him; then I will survive. :)

Jo knows (thankyou Jo) a vet here did a scrotal neuter and my StevieJoe died within an hour of coming home. Then he did an abdominal one on Alfred and the boy had to go back into surgery to remove a deep abscess and almost died, then was so sick he ate nothing but ensure for about a month and a half and we both suffered thru many painful irrigations of his surgical holes. That's the difference between a vet doing a neuter and a good vet doing a neuter.

jennifervb said:
jorats said:

I am 3 miles from Albert's shelter.... let's see if your mom can get there faster than I can...

If she does... no harm done! As long as that little man winds up with someone I know will love and nurture him; then I will survive. :)

lol!! ya, she's too far away. :wink2:

Oh God, Fidget, no wonder you are so wary!!! I would be too in your situation! The poor, little, guys!!!!!! :tearful:

Both my exotic animal vets love rodents and are very careful when doing surgery. I have not had Dr. Richards do any neuters but Dr. Davis did Ben and he had absolutely no problems. No abscesses, no infections and a very small, clean, incision. I took great care in following her instructions on giving him meds and monitoring his sutures.

I am able to call, free of charge, with any questions or concerns regarding my boys. Dr. Davis and Dr. Richards are wonderful doctors. I am lucky to have them so close to my home. :)

I just ordered my travel barn carrier, from Martin's cages, for Albert. My quarantine cage was this pathetic rabbit cage from PetSmart and there is no way that I want Albert to while away 2-3 weeks in that cage when he is in quarantine! The little man deserves his Martin's. :) :love6: :heart: :banana: :love4: :thud:

Oh Albert is wonderful!! Those eyes!! I would say he's between 5-9 months old myself off that pic, but who knows. My guess is under a year for sure. :)

Yeah you have to take him home now, if the meeting goes well. I think he's got "almost-old" soul eyes. Very aware and he'll be a love in the end. :D

jorats said:
jennifervb said:
jorats said:

lol!! ya, she's too far away. :wink2:

Hey!!! Never underestimate the willpower of a rat lover!!!! If I had been able to take a week of leave... I would have driven the 2400 miles to get that little man out of Halifax, NS!!!

Braindead? Possible.... but hey.... it is SO MUCH FUN!!!!! :banana:

lilspaz68 said:
Oh Albert is wonderful!! Those eyes!! I would say he's between 5-9 months old myself off that pic, but who knows. My guess is under a year for sure. :)

Yeah you have to take him home now, if the meeting goes well. I think he's got "almost-old" soul eyes. Very aware and he'll be a love in the end. :D

YAY!!!! It's a grand thing to be on the same page with you guys!!! Isn't he fabulous?!!! Yep... I've got to take him now!!! :love6:

I'm already planning his arrival.... just ordered his new, quarantine, cage.... will be signing him up for VPI insurance and taking him in for his physical.

Pray hard for me that no one beats me to him. I think I will call the shelter again, just to make sure that they still have my contact info! God help them if they sell him out from under me!!! From what I was told; I was the only person interested in adopting him. He is not at the shelter and meeting needs to be arranged with the foster family.

I just want to make sure that what I was told still holds!

Oh man! You don't have him roped & tied yet? Oboy, I sure hope he's meant to come to you if you have your heart set on him!

OMG, Jennifer, you are killing me here. He is soooo beautiful, gorgeous, those eyes...I am in love. :heart: (in Canada :gaah: :( )

He's so handsome! I hope you don't mind, I thought this would be easier. :D

iydfdh.jpg

Back