Albert gets a home!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY DID IT.... THEY ACTUALLY ADOPTED MY LITTLE RAT MAN OUT TO SOMEBODY ELSE!!!!!!!

MY LITTLE DUDE!!!!!!

:gaah: :redhot: :rant: :cry4:

I can only pray that he went to a rat lover. Goodbye my little nose.... you were not meant for me. :tearful:

0.0!!!

I can't believe that!
I guess they weren't 100% sure they'd be able to adopt him out and grabbed the first sure chance they saw? :( I'm so sorry Jen!

Thanks gals... I am also still in a state of shock. :(

What bugs me most is that I was not told, on Friday, that he was either scheduled for viewing or would be at the shelter, for viewing, on Saturday. A classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing (typical for state and govt... :redhot: )

I will call again tomorrow and make absolutely certain that the guy I spoke with yesterday really knew what he was talking about! Right now, I have no faith that any info I'm receiving is accurate. :gaah:

On another note.... this one is really scary! The Montgomery County Animal Control & Humane Society has a white rat.... age and GENDER unknown????? HUH???? Age... ok.... but GENDER???? :shock: Please don't tell me that their staff is just as inept as the employees at PetSmart and Petco!!!!!! :shock:

There is no picture displayed so I can't do any evaluating of age, health, etc. on the little thing. All I know is that the name is Roquefort Personally, I would only name a boy Roquefort.... but hey.... perhaps Roquefort IS A BOY. :)

I will give them a call and knock them out! :scolding: :laugh4:

I am still mourning my little Albert but am hopeful that he landed in really good hands.

I am still happy I ordered my travel cage. I don't have one and I think owning one is important. :)

Thank you both again, very much, for your support of my miserable circumstance. It helps to ease the anger and upset of having lost out on a little guy I so much had my heart set on. :heart: :hugs:

:rose: :love6: you are loved little Albert..... even if you have no clue that you are :love6: :rose:

It sure does feel like a loss doesn't it? We start loving these little critters even before having them in our home.
I'm so sorry Jen. :sad3:
Let's hope the pew will work out for you.

jorats said:
It sure does feel like a loss doesn't it? We start loving these little critters even before having them in our home.
I'm so sorry Jen. :sad3:
Let's hope the pew will work out for you.

Thanks Jo, it is hard. The hardest part is not knowing what kind of people he landed with. That little rat man would have had everything he wanted, needed and more if I had gotten him. I just wish it were possible to find out if his new owners are as dedicated to his well being as I would have been.

It is a real rollercoaster ride trying to deal with both the upset of having lost out on him and the worry that his new owners could possibly be indifferent to his needs. I am hopeful that I will be able to get some info out of them tomorrow. They will definitely hear about their bad handling of those who were interested in obtaining Albert. It was badly organized on their part and I find it insufferable that I was kept in the dark regarding his status. If their system doesn't work then they need to FIX IT! No wonder people are so skeptical about animal shelters. :redhot:

I will look into the little nose in Rockville. The poor litte furmel. How would you feel if the people caring for you were not even competent enough to figure out if you are a guy or a gal??? :smiling:

Hey Jen,

When I adopted Bella and Lisbet at 26 months of age, they were surrendered by their owner of 2 years as males...and they are completely Nekkid! :doh:

It happens.

I hope this next little furfriend is the one for you. I am sorry to hear your Albert is gone. :hugs:

Maybe you connected that strongly with Albert because you are destined to be together but possibly not in this particular lifetime for him. :nod:

Oh Jen....that sure is the pits, I can imagine how upset you must be

Maybe the foster care family kept him? (just throwing that out there...)

and I totally agree with Sheleigh (totally by memory spelling there...hopefully i got it right... :oops: )

Maybe you connected that strongly with Albert because you are destined to be together but possibly not in this particular lifetime for him
:nod:

Thank you Shelagh and Cityratt!!!! I am hopeful that he landed with the foster family. He is such a darling, little, guy!!! I would have LOVED to have taken him home.... and possibly had 4 rats as opposed to three... :roll:

I have just gotten back from meeting Roquefort. :heart:

This little man was turned over to the Montgomery County Shelter on Friday and what concerned me was that they did not know his GENDER!!!! Get crucial!!!! I mean.... it's bad enough that Pet Stores don't have a clue but a SHELTER???? GIVE ME A BREAK!!! :scolding:

They now know that Roquefort is a HE (his little gonads will never add up to Goli's but hey.... THEY CAN'T EXACTLY BE OVERLOOKED EITHER!) :roll:

He is in beautiful condition. No visible mites, no porphyrin staining, no malocclusion and no crabby, unfriendly little attitude problem. I am guessing that he is in the ballpark of 3-6 months of age and he was more than happy to explore under my sweatshirt before peeing on it. :laugh4:

I have filled out the adoption application and will hear back from them in 3-5 days. I just called them back to give them some info, I didn't have with me, and made a point of asking if anyone else had submitted an application for him. I am not a resident of Montgomery County so it is possible for me to get "bumped" if a Montgomery County resident wants the same animal.

I was told that I am the only application they have received on Roquefort so my chances of getting him are good. If no applications are received by the time they assign me an interview then I can no longer be bumped. Pray hard!!! He is a lovely, little, man. He looks like a baby Basil. :love6:

From what I was told; the owner deposited both Roquefort and a Gecko with the Shelter because there was no time to care for them. Too bad the owner couldn't have figured that out before bringing them home. :doh:

Whatever the case; If I can adopt Roquefort then I will not judge the owner so harshly (I know.... am I a bleeding hypocrite or what???!!!!)

and yes... Roquefort's name will remain the same. He looks like a little wedge of cheese. :tumkiss:

Pray for me. I will keep you all posted. :hugs:

I just read this entire thread and I'm so sorry it didn't work out with Albert. :(

But at least there are always more rats out there needing a good home and whoever you adopt will be very lucky. :wink:

bruxxy said:
I just read this entire thread and I'm so sorry it didn't work out with Albert. :(

But at least there are always more rats out there needing a good home and whoever you adopt will be very lucky. :wink:

Thanks Bruxxy, :hugs:

It was hard with little Albert. Such a beautiful little man. I am praying that he landed in good hands.

If the Montgomery County Animal Shelter is any indication; Albert went to a good home. The shelters have a rigorous application program in place which makes it hard to bs them. If I am selected for an interview; they may actually be coming to my house to see Ben and Basil and the situation they would be placing Roquefort into.

With the information I received today; I was left to believe that all shelters have the animals' well being at heart. If that is true then Albert will be ok and all I will have to do is nurture my bruised ego that he didn't come to me. I think I may just manage to handle that. If not, I will come to my friends here and ask for a butt kick to help me get over myself. :)

awe Jen

Its always so hard when you wanted to give the little fur-bum such a good home. And you cant help but hoping that whoever adopted him will do the same (eventhough its hard to picture someone else loving our individual pets as much as we love them ourselves). It seems that that shelter really does care who adopts their animals, which eventhough Albert didnt come home to you, he went home to someone who will hopefully love him the same (for the sweet little man he is).

Now you have a chance to get this cheese boy out of a shelter where the staff are less educated about rattie care. This may have been a blessing in hiding - because now you have room for this little man. Eventhough facing the fact that Albert has gone to another forever home, you now have the space to take in this other sweet soul.

We're all pullin for you on this end. :cuddle:

Thanks Cityratt, :hugs:

Now everyone needs to pull hard for a new turn in the drama!

In addition to praying that I will be able to adopt little Roquefort.... I received a call from the Fairfax County Animal Shelter indicating that the info I received, on Saturday, telling me that Albert had been adopted, was false.

I have just gotten off the phone with the Montgomery County Animal Shelter and I am still the only applicant for Roquefort.

Heaven forbid but, if things continue on their current path, I may be mother to FOUR little rat men!!!! :shock:

If this happens; how do I quarantine the two newbies???? I only have the bedroom to put them in! I know that Roquefort is in a cage alone but he is in a room with cats, rabbits and a few other hamsters.

Albert is in foster care, with a volunteer from the shelter, and I am not sure if he is the only animal there.

Would I be able to keep the new boys in the same room in separate cages? I really don't have any other options!

Any feedback would be HUGELY appreciated!!!! Although there is no guarantee, at this time, that I will land either of the two boys, I want to be prepared!

I won't desert either Albert or Roquefort if I am approved for adoption, of both boys, by the respective shelters and need to figure out how best to quarantine them and get their fuzzy, little, butts to the vet for exams!

Pray hard for me please! I would really love to give these two boys a forever home. :love6:

oh wow. thats an interesting turn of events.

Left hand - meet right hand. Eesh....

well if this had to happen to anyone im glad its your Jen (some people would just give up on one of the two of those little guys) Not that you should be object to such termoil!

I dont really know what to say about quarentene....maybe bathroom?
Ill leave that up to one of our resident experts :)

I am so excited for you. I would quarantine them in the same room. Can't wait to find out if both boys are coming to you, lucky sweeties. :happydance: :joy:

Cityratt said:
oh wow. thats an interesting turn of events.

Left hand - meet right hand. Eesh....

well if this had to happen to anyone im glad its your Jen (some people would just give up on one of the two of those little guys) Not that you should be object to such termoil!

I dont really know what to say about quarentene....maybe bathroom?
Ill leave that up to one of our resident experts :)

LOL!!! I agree with your "left hand - meet right hand" statement!!! Geeeeeez... how much more confusion can the park in a potential adopter's head??? :roll:

I spoke with Rebecca from the Fairfax County Animal Shelter today and we are setting up a visit with Albert. I found out that the volunteer, who is fostering him, is a rat lover and has other rats in her foster care. She will be able to give me more info on Albert and his little demeanor.

Rebecca seems pretty interested in having me see Albert. She was surprised just how much I do for Ben and Basil. What really blew her mind was the fact that I get insurance for my rats. Since speaking with me; she is now "in the know" about Harlan Teklad Blocks, Oxbow Regal Rat food, distilled water, fresh fruit and veggies and rat health insurance. LOL!!!!

She is also informed about The Rat Shack and I told her that I would tell Lisa (the foster mom) about The Rat Shack in the hopes that she joins. :)

I just received my Ferret Barn carrier from Martins... man, that is one AWESOME quarantine cage with alot of room for a furface!!!!!! :happydance:

It would probably go to Albert since he is larger than Roquefort.

Back