Adella's Tumour Removal Today - GREAT Update :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that IS crummy news. I'm so sorry she wasn't given much of a reprieve. Enjoy what time you have together, and give her some scritches from us. :hugs:

I'm so very sorry to read this love. She certainly deserves so much better than this, but I'm glad she ended up with someone who gave her every possible chance. :heart:

I just emailed her 3 brothers mom in Ottawa for an update on Adella and Helene decided to check over her boys. She found that Nero has a lump on the side of his neck below the jaw, it's well under the skin, feels firm and possibly attached and is somewhat mobile. :( They are taking him to the vet tomorrow. :undecided:

Quick pics taken by Helene of Nero

from above (can't see much from this and the side view)

Nerolump1.jpg

from the side

Nerolump2.jpg

But when you pull back the skin a little, whammo there it is! This is what Adella's looked like just seemd to be a little lower down...

Nerolump3.jpg

Poor poor Nero... :sad3:

Not good news ... we did an aspiration at the vet and it was mostly red blood cells and a bit of lymphoid tissue. I showed the vet the pictures you sent me. She thinks it's sitting higher on Nero so she's doesn't think the thyroid is involved but it is attached and there's no telling to what.

The little guy is going into surgery Monday. It is very sad but at the same time, that guy has been on borrowed time since May where he had the most shockingly fast acting pneumonia or whatever the heck it was I have ever seen.

In a matter of less than 6 hours he went from perfectly fine to unable to take more than a few steps before laying down lethargic and what, to me, looked exactly like agonal breathing (the mechanical breathing that happens just before death during euthanasia) with a wet clicking sound. I was in shock and certain he would not make it to the vet ER alive. More than 1h in the oxygen tank only perked him up for a few minutes. 48 hours later with little more than Baytril and hand feeding of ensure and oatmeal and he was running and jumping OVER stuff instead of going around them and his regular vet could see nothing wrong with him. You don't get miracles often with rats, I consider that one to be one of the few we get.

I am a little encouraged that the mass is very mobile and appears well encapsulated with only a tiny strand is attached to something else (as opposed to something weirdly shaped or intertwined with many other parts of the body). What it is attached to, however, is the big question. The location is also particularly dangerous for a mass. If it's linked to an organ or some big blood vessels, it's probably going to be very difficult to get it all or out at all. If it's muscle, then maybe all of it could come out.

Even if this only buys him a few more months of mobility and quality of life, I think it's worth it. He's the most energetic of the trio and has ample ahem ... fat reserves shall we say ... to carry him through not eating a lot after surgery.

So keeping my fingers crossed while keeping in mind the reality that these guys have crummy genes, got a horrible start to life and essentially the odds stacked against them. That they turned into such trusting, sociable and friendly rats despite that is a massive blessing.

eagle said:
lilspaz68 said:
So am I..for her 3 boys, the boys Tanis adopted, and the four I still have. :(

Oh this little one is related to Yar, Boomer and Cubby

Adella is their sister and Nero is their brother...Helene had already adopted him, Figaro and Gaston (remember the blue hoodie?) by the time you came down.

Back