Abscess, tumor, cyst or something else?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy, it is looking weird...

I have no idea how this transfers over to rats, but sometimes, my skin goes through a similar process if I pick a scab on my arm or someplace where the skin is usually taunt. It will swell up a bit as if it is a "bump" and the skin around it will be stretchy and a different color. Essentially, it looks a lot like what's on your sweetie...

Well I went ahead & got her scheduled for 3:30 on Monday, since I'm just feeling a bit off with this one. I'm going to go ahead & bring my laptop loaded with all the pics in progression, because I think he might have a better idea if he can see how it's changed over the course of a week, especially since some of the earlier pics really seemed a bit odd to me (the wartlike phase). I know that I myself can see things in the photos that I really just don't see when I'm looking at her in person.

Rolled borders around the lesion now...

I would go for excision of the lesion. It's making me nervous. If it was a simple injury, it should have been healed by now.

I'm glad you're taking her in but still praying it's nothing to worry about

I wonder if her grooming it is partly responsible for the hair loss around it etc?

Petunia, that's a good idea- it could be that.

Only 2 more days until Monday, good luck! :)

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, the slowness with which it's resolving has me concerned, along with those dark spots in the middle. It just doesn't really look any smaller at this point. I also pondered about whether the fur loss was due to overgrooming/cleaning, and that's the least of my concerns at this point. It was the slight brownish spots showing just under the incision this morning that prompted me to just make the appointment for Monday, as they felt like a backstep.

On a separate note, I went to take her nightly photos & noticed what appears to the tip of a poo sticking out of her butt (I know, let me just pile it on for you, right?). I figured I'd give her an hour and then just check to be sure it just a stubborn turd, but do let me know if this seems like even more cause for alarm. I've never had a rat with a poo stuck before and I'm hoping that this isn't somehow tied into everything else.

8730822294_6869c6b938_z.jpg

8730821146_6c507026eb_z.jpg

8730820902_59502dc2a3_z.jpg

8729699877_8fa231844b_z.jpg

8730820974_7b7ce4016c_z.jpg

oh crap, pun intended :?
I've had a constipated rat (Smidgen, who had very large tumors, one near her butt) and even for her, it never was as dry looking as that is, nor did it get stuck like that

do you have any KY jelly you could use? I'd try either soaking her butt in plain warm water, and/or using some KY jelly all around where the poop is sticking out, cuz that is gonna be uncomfortable coming out

poor girl and you too!
you really need to cut a break, it seems it's been one thing right after another lately
:/

I was going to try giving her some olive oil/bread. Honestly, I was afraid to try and "assist" her until I heard from some more knowledgeable people, in case this wasn't a poo but something worse (prolapsed rectum, something else sticking out, I don't know). I didn't want to go poking it until I was given the ok to do so.

I don't see how it could hurt to sit her butt in a bowl of warm water, that has to be so uncomfortable....
but I really don't know, that doesn't look like normal poop either

what has she been eating?

it's too late for olive oil to help, that is past where anything ingested is going to make any difference at all, so whatever help she gets has to literally come in from the bottom, if that is, indeed poop

gawd I hope it is, cuz I don't think a prolapsed rectum should look like that either, not a healthy one anyone, it should be pinkish
That color strongly suggests a cancer, if that's not poop

damn this is just awful.

gonna do some searches on rectal prolapse and GI cancers in rats........

violet976 said:
ok, just checked her again & it's gone. Boy do I feel like such a paranoid mommy right now. :heart:

oh thank goodness!! whew!
so yeh it might be a good idea to add some fruit to her diet, I think that helps more than olive oil, but I'm not sure

I know my guys could never have to much fruit without getting loose stools, so I figure fruit is good for constipation

I hope you don't have any more scares this weekend!

ETA: it seems rectal prolapse isnt' too common
there's this though:
rectal prolapse:
We don't see this all that often in rats. It seems to be seen more with
mice, and there is more information pertaining to them.

There are various causes for a rectal prolapse (which includes masses).
In addition it can result from colitis due to an infectious agent. One of
those agents is helicobacter spp.
Increased endoparasite load can also be a contributory factor. I don't know
if your vet treated for possible internal parasites, but since the vet has
been following regularly and Roddy is doing well with the treatment he is
receiving the vet undoubtedly already considered this.

A veterinarian (a vet should perform this unless he shows you how to
carefully to do this procedure) can try reducing the prolapse with moistened
cotton micro swab. This may or may not resolve it permanently depending on the
cause of the prolapse, and if inflammation is resolved.

Thanks Petunia. I'm going to sleep well tonight after that short scare. I'll give her some extra nanners & mango tonight as well. :giggle: Monday can't come soon enough.

Oh gosh. >.<
I never thought I'd have to say thing, but fingers crossed it's a turd.

Edit: thank god it's just that. Got any prunes around? :cheeky:

Aida said:
Oh gosh. >.<
I never thought I'd have to say thing, but fingers crossed it's a turd.

Edit: thank god it's just that. Got any prunes around? :cheeky:

As a matter of fact... I just bought some this week. & Gizmo actually seemed to enjoy them. I guess I know what we're snacking on tonight.

Bindi was allergic to Baytril. Every single time I gave it to her, these lumps would appear every time she had baytril.

198475_10150129679241409_6157528_n.jpg

@ HopeFloats: thanks so much for that info. Gizmo has been on Baytril a few times already & I've never seen any issues, but I'll certainly bring that up to my vet as well just in case. This opening, however, happened a few weeks after she had been on baytril for her surgery, and she had been on baytril/zithro for about 3 weeks before that, so I doubt it's the issue.

It could be something else though an allergic reaction in general. We gave bindi baytril 3 times each times had large lumps appear. When we had sendai here, her whole neck and face swelled up, that was the last attempt for her for baytril. It was just odd it showed as 3 different lumps but it was just after we started baytril every single time. Luckily she was never sick so I didnt have to worry about what meds to give her.

Sigh. Day 6 and I think it's time to start worrying. Definitely protruding more today & it looks wartlike again. Thankfully her appointment was made for tomorrow afternoon, and I'll bring the laptop with the progression pics as well so the vet can see what this has been doing. Definitely looking concerning now though.

When looking at the photos, know that that whole middle section looks like it's forcing it's way out. It's no longer even remotely flush, and where it looks in the photo like it's raised, it most certainly is. This is shaping up to be a tumor, isn't it?

8733244208_76baa4b818_z.jpg

8733244066_dac5d91b0f_z.jpg

8733243964_9160be7566_z.jpg

8733243836_4e1038c272_z.jpg

Oh darn. >.<

Just try not to worry about it for now, she will be fine tomorrow, and then we'll know. Good luck then!

Back