A lesson learned the hard way baby picture heavy day 30 up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mistakes happen, you just learn from them and carry on, you don't have to beat yuorself up over it. You are a good rat mommy and got your boys neutered and etc. :) Beautiful babies, they are so precious. That Day 9 picture is HILARIOUS. :laugh4:

The lesson they learned, and I hope other people learn from this, is that it is impossible to keep female rats away
from intact male rats in the same home. Accidents can and will happen. Their males are now neutered so this can't happen again.

I would also give mom baby cereal with some olive oil mixed in with it, some pasta as soy baby formula.....and maybe some puppy/or kitten chow.
She does look a bit thin and needs to make lots of milk.

When I first saw Hermione, I thought she was double rex. She must of had her baby fuzz still.
She sounds like she's being fed well...but being a nakie, her metabolism is faster so make sure she gets plenty of the extra protein, if she's still getting blocks, make sure they are 20% protein.

Wow, I can't believe how FAT those babies are!!!!! She is one milk producing machine! Little roly-poly sausages! So adorable....it looks like they're going to have hair too.

OMG the babies are to die for. At first I thought you might have some hairless babies on you hands but now it does look like they will all have fur, but I guess only time will tell. (I was under the impression that hairless babies do get hair and then it falls out, so we'll see!)

cool.. i think we will get her some baby cereal and puppy or kitten chow good idea... also we need to get more ensure, we ran out a couple days ago. we've been giving her EVOO in a blended mix i make for her. i add peas, apple peel and carrot peel also a bit of cranberry. i even added a bit of potato and corn to one mix. anything i think has lots of vitamins. we have made sure to give her lots of turkey and egg , some hamburg ... and other stuff.. shes actually a bit pudgey-er than before.. she is a thin girl, prolly cause she cant sit still for very long.. and shes youthfully fast ... plus she is still growing. but the babies seem to be very healthy, and have gained a good weight fast, so i think that means that we are feeding mommy well.?? its still a learning experience.. but we will try to get her to gain some more weight.. lol..

thanks guys

Day 11 pics

The boys
DSCF0051-3.jpg

The girls- they move around a lot
DSCF0071-3.jpg

DSCF0027-4.jpg

DSCF0020-4.jpg

DSCF0017-5.jpg

DSCF0014-8.jpg

We'll have some day 12 pics up a bit later.

Day 12

Little girl
DSCF0027-5.jpg

This little girl was grooming her self in my hand then started to groom me and fell asleep :heart:
DSCF0024-2.jpg

Gotta clean those feets
DSCF0022-5.jpg

lol they didn't like the dangle shots
DSCF0019-7.jpg

DSCF0011-6.jpg

DSCF0010-6.jpg

We were cleaning Hermione and the babies cage. She really wanted out.
DSCF0006-7.jpg

Hungry kids
DSCF0004-8.jpg

We're going to pick up some puppy formula for Hermione tomorrow
DSCF0001-8.jpg

DSCF0051-3.jpg

I love the little beige faced boy in the middle......he is a real cuitie. The dark one on the end next to him is pretty darn cute to......oh hey they all are.

Congrats on you new little babies! And I don't see why anyone would have negative comments , this happens to so many people , and it is rarely intentional. I did not realize how fragile these babes are , we were lucky , when my bro's rat Sally had her babies , she had 14 , but they all lived. I can't imagine them passing away a couple days later , we were already so attached. I am sorry that some of yours passed , but they all look so well taken care of , happy , and adorable! Best of luck , but with all the people on here wanting them , I am sure they will have new homes soon!

Ewa said:
And I don't see why anyone would have negative comments , this happens to so many people ,

Accidental litters are happening way too much and that's why there would be negative comments. People who keep intact males and females in the same home are just asking for trouble.

I really do wish people would learn from these postings... but sadly it doesn't seem to be the case. Everyone has a mindset of "oh that won't happen here"... and then a few months later... :wallbang:

At least with Linds and Ang, they've done the right thing and neuter their boys. They've taken steps to assure this accident will never happen again. :thumbup:

Accidental litters are happening way too much and that's why there would be negative comments. People who keep intact males and females in the same home are just asking for trouble.

I agree. We should have had the boys neutered way before we did but it just seemed like one thing after another for money issues that we couldn't get it done. Stupid money. At least they're neutered now.

Well looks like one of our homes fell through. A friend at my work was going to adopt two girls but when her son saw her friends rats he freaked out. He's 5 and is autistic so she doesn't want to push the rat thing on him 'cause he can have some bad episodes. It's too bad 'cause she was really excited to adopt them. She's going to slow try and expose him to ratties so maybe one day they can adopt some.

So we have two girls adopted and I think Ang and I are going to keep the other two girls. So then it's the four boys that need to be adopted.

Velma are you still interested in adopting two? :cheeky: :nod: lol

lindsayfawn said:

I agree. We should have had the boys neutered way before we did but it just seemed like one thing after another for money issues that we couldn't get it done. Stupid money. At least they're neutered now.

Well looks like one of our homes fell through. A friend at my work was going to adopt two girls but when her son saw her friends rats he freaked out. He's 5 and is autistic so she doesn't want to push the rat thing on him 'cause he can have some bad episodes. It's too bad 'cause she was really excited to adopt them. She's going to slow try and expose him to ratties so maybe one day they can adopt some.

So we have two girls adopted and I think Ang and I are going to keep the other two girls. So then it's the four boys that need to be adopted.

Velma are you still interested in adopting two? :cheeky: :nod: lol

Oh I am very tempted.....I really like the two fawn hooded boys......the dark capped one are cute to.....Can I have a few more pictures please?

Back