A lesson learned the hard way baby picture heavy day 30 up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

Well we were not expecting this to happen but we can only take what comes at us. We had the kids at my brothers for a few days because they were doing inspections on the apts. I went to visit and check on them and found that Hermione looked even more bloated then normal. We had noticed she was gaining a bit of weight but thought she was just going through a growth spurt and into those kinda awkward teenage years. I really thought she had megacolone when I saw her and made an appointment to take her to the vet for the next day.

So I took her upstairs with me to tell my brother I was leaving and was telling him and his girlfriend that Hermione had to come with me 'cause we had a vet appointment tomorrow because I thought she had megacolone. Well Barbie (my bros' gf) says " I think I just saw her belly move."

My jaw dropped and I looked closer at her belly. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I saw little hands pushing on her belly. Miss Hermione had to have escaped and got to the boys somehow BEFORE we got them Neutered. This is a very hard lesson to learn in why people should not keep intact males and females in the same house. We were always very careful and thought we had everything covered but obviously if they really want out to get it on then they're going to do it.

I took Hermione home and got her set up in a tote because we had no extra cage except for the hospital cage but I wanted her to have something a little bigger so she could move a bit more once the contractions started. With in an hour or two of getting her home she starting going into contractions. I kept a close eye on her and then had to hurry and pick up Ang. When I picked her up I told her " Hermione is giving you a birthday present right now!" She gave me this weird look and I told her she was having babies. We both were not impressed but also a little excited to see her have them.

Once we got home she was still have contractions and didn't have her first baby till about midnightish. She did really well. She had 14 babies. Two of them were still born. The next day I think she passed another baby so she would have had 15 babies. This is a lot of babies for a small girl. Hermione is only we think around 4 to 5 months old.

This was a very unfortunate situation for so many reasons. 1- There are A LOT of rescue rats out there needing homes 2- She's a high white and we're sure the father is Tiberious because of the babies colours and markings, he is also a High white.

From day one we had 11 babies alive today by day 10 we have 8 alive. I'm sure there are many reasons why some of them didn't survive. It's sad but I suppose it is good in a way, because less babies to find homes for.

Hermione has been an amazing mother she's fine with us picking up the babies and petting her and them when she's feeding. She's very good at what she does. We were also very happy to see great milk bands on the babies as hairless rats sometimes have a hard time lactating.

We have found homes for the four girls and are looking for homes for the boys. Obviously if we can't find them homes they'll be staying with us and getting neutered asap. We've been taking pictures and making a baby log every day to keep track of their progress. All of the babies are high whites and dumbos. There are 4 girls and 4 boys. The 4 girls there are 3 black capped bare-back's with dark eyes and one light eyed light capped bare-back. The 4 boys there are two black capped bare- back's with dark eyes and two light eyed light capped bare-back's. The light eyed kids markings are just starting to show up, I'm not sure what colour they will be.

We weren't going to post about these kids at all because we know there are some people on the forum that would be ready to jump at this and have a bunch of negative comments. There's nothing you could say that could make us feel any worse. It was an accident, it happened and we're taking ownership of it. So we thought we might as well post about it so others could see out there that accidents can happen and if you do have intact males and females in the house together it would be best to get them fixed asap because things can happen very fast with out you even knowing.

Now that you're all tired of reading here are some pictures from day 1 to day 9

Hermione the mother an hr or so before going into
DSCF0072-3.jpg

Tiberious the father
DSCF0073-2.jpg

Hermione- I would like the babies out now
DSCF0071-2.jpg

Day 1- 12 babies that lived
DSCF0002-9.jpg

Day 2- 2 babies died during the night. Hermione feeding the kids
DSCF0015-9.jpg

Day 2
DSCF0011-4.jpg

Day 3
DSCF0016-8.jpg

Day 3
DSCF0002-10.jpg

Day 4
DSCF0010-4.jpg

Day 4- The girls
5girls.jpg

Day 4- The boys
5boys.jpg

Day 5- two more babies died a girl and boy each
DSCF0032-2.jpg

Day 5
DSCF0025-2.jpg

Day 5
8babies4girls4boys.jpg

Day 6- The girls
meholdingthegirls.jpg

Day 6- The boys
meholdintheboys.jpg

Day 6
kidsmovingaround.jpg

Day 7- The girls
girls.jpg

Day 7- The boys
boys-2.jpg

Day 7- Hermione taking some time away from the kids.
Hermionetakingsomemetime.jpg

Day 7
DSCF0005-8.jpg

Day 8
DSCF0025-3.jpg

Day 8
DSCF0023-2.jpg

Day 8- Hermione is a good mom
DSCF0001-7.jpg

Day 9- Girl 1
girlfour.jpg

Day 9- Girl 2
girl3.jpg

Day 9- Girl 3
girl2.jpg

Day 9- Girl 4
girl1one.jpg

Day 9- Boy 1
boy4.jpg

Day 9- Boy 2
boy3.jpg

Day 9- Boy 3
boy2.jpg

Day 9- Boy 4
boy1.jpg

DSCF0069-3.jpg

DSCF0061-2.jpg

Day 9- The girls. They're getting very big and very soft. They feel like velvet. Maybe they'll all have fur?
DSCF0037-6.jpg

Day 9
21-1.jpg

Day 9- How that little guy is comfy laying upside down I do not know
18-1.jpg

Day 9
10.jpg

Day 9- The boys
DSCF0022-2.jpg

I have a few video's as well that I'll put up later. They're taking forever to load on photobucket. I also have all the pics and video's we've taken them on my facebook which is under Lindsay Horsman.

no bad comment from me ... Other then there cute and life happens we can't control all things as long as there safe healthy and cared for thats the main thing.

they remind me of callie so much rip callie <3

:shock:

I hope that they all stay healthy and you have no more losses. Whats it like going from all girls to all these boys?? lol!

(edited my original post)

They are beautiful babies....I hope the sweeties that are left make it...

We have already talked about this, I know you guys feel very bad that this happened. Your boys are now neutered and it is another good example of why we can't keep intact rats or the opposite sex in the same house. They are just so determined.

Those two light colored boys have my name on them......all they need is a drive to NS.......Or I need to make a trip to NB :wink2:

Those two light colored boys have my name on them......all they need is a drive to NS.......Or I need to make a trip to NB

lol Velma if you want to adopt them we'd be willing to meet ya half way.

I'll have some day 10 pics up later when I get home from work and try to get those video's up.

Nothing bad to say on my end.. The most important part of making a mistake is recognising it and owning it. You've already beat yourself up, there's no need for anyone else to. They're beautiful and it looks like you're doing a great job.

Is it natural for several babies of a high white litter pass away? Is it nature culling the weakest kids from the litter early because of the high risk for megacolon?

Is it natural for several babies of a high white litter pass away? Is it nature culling the weakest kids from the litter early because of the high risk for megacolon?

Our vet said it could be because of the megacolon but also could be from her being so tiny and young and having such a large litter. It was pretty sad going to count the babies the next day to find some gone but that's how nature goes I guess.

lol Well if Velma doesn't adopt the light eyed babies then you could adopt the black capped boys. Ang and I were talking and we kinda want to keep two of the boys. It'd be nice to raise at least two from birth to have that experience. I think we can handle taking on two as we'll be losing two soon I think:(

Mya has started with PT we're quite certain as she's showing a lot of the signs. I can tell she's getting ready to let go and Emily isn't doing well either her tumor came back in the same spot under her belly clsoe to her legs which is making it hard for her to get around. I think she may be starting with HED as well poor old girl. Emily is the last of our first 4 kids.

No bad comments here either. You're a good rat Mommy and accidents happen. They are absolutely beautiful...I'm so glad you are far away from me...always wanted a dumbo :heart:

Ahh, I forgot about her age! Poor doll, she's still doing an excellent job all the same. I bet you had to hold your breath before checking. :(

Ahh, I forgot about her age! Poor doll, she's still doing an excellent job all the same. I bet you had to hold your breath before checking.

Yeah we knew two of the babies were probably going to pass away when she first had them because they were gasping a bit. poor things, was really sad made me feel pretty helpless. But as mom says everything happens for a reason so I guess she was only meant to raise 8 bubs.

Here some day 10 pictures. I'm a little behind as today is day 11 for them but I'll get those up when I get home to take some day 11 pics. They're doing well and we noticed some of the kids have little teeth! They're so cute!

DSCF0033-1.jpg

DSCF0032-3.jpg

They're getting harder to take pictures of in my hand. They don't like to sit still anymore lol
DSCF0030-4.jpg

Feedin the kids
DSCF0002-11.jpg

DSCF0003-11.jpg

DSCF0004-7.jpg

DSCF0011-5.jpg

DSCF0013-6.jpg

DSCF0014-7.jpg

DSCF0016-9.jpg

Sleepy and full of milk
DSCF0018-6.jpg

DSCF0019-6.jpg

DSCF0021-2.jpg

DSCF0023-3.jpg

DSCF0025-4.jpg

DSCF0027-3.jpg

DSCF0026-2.jpg

Did Hermione go naked on you? I'd beef her up a little more.
Love the nursing pics...

Go naked? lol she's always been naked. We've been giving her ensure, turkey, eggs and the other usual stuff to help her with feeding. Is there anything else that we could be giving her to help her along?

Back