-

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum! You will find that there is a great thread under Habitat for people showing off their CN(or FN) and you can get a lot of really awesome ideas for decorating/toys/etc. Lots of people sell hammocks or liners(like me) who will be happy to keep your ratties supplied should you decide to purchase hammocks. You will love your CN! And good luck on getting your new rats, just a heads up everyone here encourages adopting from a rescue rather than through a breeder, as most are at worst, unethical, and at best, uninformed. =/ But whatever you decide to do, we will be happy to laugh and cry with you, help you work through medical issues, and share lovely pics of our wonderful pets!

Nice start, it would drive me nuts to have a cage and no ratties! but it is good to be prepared. How long of a wait for the rats?

Dollar baskets are a favorite in my cage......

ametropia said:
Litters should be arriving in March via the breeder so there's a bit yet.

Be careful, there are more backyard breeder ratteries in BC than anyone cares to remember or knows what to do with. Not to scare your or anything, just a warning! :giggle: There's actually a good rescue(Little Mischief Rescue is what its called I think?) in BC that always has rats in need of good homes, as well.

And don't worry, sewing hammocks is a breeze. :cheeky: Plus, there are a bunch of tutorials all over the internet(and some on the forum) so I'm sure you'll fall into it easily!

I'm on the waiting list with SITH Rattery in New Westminster (http://www.sithrattery.com/).. which is good because I live in New Westminster. That worked out well! :)

Yeah I've seen several patterns and how-to's so I think I'll be ok.. I hope :D

The CN holds ten, healthily. Twelve at the absolute max. It's really not a good idea to get both genders unless you neuter or spay(although spaying is recommended because it so greatly reduces the chance of mammary tumors - 80% or more!) because if one gets out, you can have unexpected babies - and there are more rats needing rescue than can ever find homes, and you don't want to add to that problem. As long as you have one gender, or castrated rats of either or both genders, you can shut them in one half while you clean the other, or use half for a sick cage when necessary, etc...

I can understand feeling obligated to the person you are already on the waiting list for, but I did want to add that SITH does a lot of work with LMR. Plus I wanted Lynden so if you wanted to take all the female babies I would love to give mommy a home here with me ;) Or how about taking one of the babies plus rats from SITH ? LMR is very flexible when it comes to great homes with their babies. They are currently keeping 2 boys for me until I can get over an illness in my cage and get down to Vancouver to pick them up. I actually really wanted mommy+baby but LMRs vet can not spay until 250g and it would take 4? months I believe for a baby to be big enough to spay.

I would never split Lynden up from her babies unless someone else wanted to take one of her babies, or I could take both her and the baby she is paired with but since its going to be months until her babies can be spayed its more of a pipe dream for me then anything. :(

I just wanted to add, introing young girls in my experience goes pretty smoothly.

You do realize that if the babies are born mid-march, you would have to wait until the end of april to actually get them home! More than two months away!! That is such a long time...

On the other hand, you could adopt from LMR and take rats home with you in a week or two, provided all checks out and goes well of course. And of course you would be helping homeless ratties at the same time! :cheeky:

I am sure the folks at SITH would be fine with this. If they have a waiting list already it sholud be really easy to find buyers for the rats you aren't going to take.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the cage!

I bet a month or so after getting your babies you'll be dying for more. Then we can help with intros ;)

Do you have any pictures of the expecting mom, from the litter you are waiting for? Are they rexs? or dumbos? You have a lot more will power then I would have. If I had that cage sitting empty, I don't know if I would wait til the end of April to fill it! lol

Back