-

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks great! One tip though, since your rats will be babies, you are going to want way bigger litter pans for now, with something like Yesterday's News in it...cause babies are POOP MACHINES! lol
SITH is the only rattery in Canada I would ever consider. They have been breeding for a very long time and are quite experienced. Plus, they do work closely with the rescue.
You will have so much fun with the "several" babies... say something like 4 to 6... you will constantly be in stitches with their antics. Too much fun!!!

it does look good. I love the dollar buys, I get the winter stocking caps and attach them to the side, no sewing required and my girls love to lay in the hats. I use scarves as well, I turn them into corner hammocks or an extra walkway. You will be amazed and how you will look at everything differently with rats LOL now everything I see, I think how can i connect that to the cage? If I cut this out will it work better? lol

A group of babies is a blast, we have 3 babies here right now and they crack me up, non stop running and popcorning. I cannot wait to see your new babies, you have a great start on a cage now it is just missing something to mess it up for you :)

I fold a rim down so they can, I have found the bigger ones are better for the males but hard to find. My girls are little puff balls in them, and if they cant get out they just chew through it LOL

Isis likes to leave her head out of it, but bindi and pika love to curl up in a ball
155521_482503801408_634516408_6240944_6238941_n.jpg

really i tried sewing, didnt work out for me LOL now I look for any way not to sew LOL>.... I have tons of plastic in my cage....easier for me, just wash them in the sink...Each do have at least one hammock but I am not a fan of sewing..........

Mine adore sputniks :) No sewing required and they last forever. Mine like to sleep on fabric too though so I still use hammocks.

I'd suggest a second litter box, most rats are too lazy to do all that walking to use the litter box LOL!

Your cage is looking good :)

ETA: In case you don't know what a sputnik is, here it is in my old cage:

680006.jpg

You will find your rats will want to eat in their litter pans which is quite normal. Many animals will use the place where they toilet to mask their scent and he smell of good food. Some rats will even prefer to sleep in their litter...again, very normal with rats.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but uh... rats like to eat in their litterboxes (sometimes) or stash food in there. So distance from the food is not an issue. :lol:

I've heard that girls were really easy to intro, and babies are super easy as well. Many times all I've had to do with adult to baby intros was let them play together once, and then they were fine together. Baby to baby intros should be even easier! I think you should get some from LMR now and get more from SITH later. Remember that the CN can comfortably hold 10. :D

ametropia said:
One of the reasons I'm not sure I can go with LMR is because of their requirements for adoption.. I have Agoraphobia (google or wiki it) and it is very, very difficult for me to consider someone coming into my home for a "home visit". I just think it might be outside of my comfort zone.

I'm sorry to hear about your agoraphobia and totally understand that you're not comfortable with strangers in your home. I wonder if LMR might make an exception for you, maybe if you provide a lot of photos of your cage and home? Or maybe you could go to some other place you feel safe while they do a home check with your husband? Sorry if I seem rude, it's not my intention. I just think it would be great if you could get both rescue rats and breeder rats. :)

I have had a lot of experience with seemingly good rat breeders, only to find out about their shady dealings later. Because of this, my future rats will hopefully be rescues. Fingers crossed that SITH is as reputable as they seem and you have a good experience with them.

I try not to give people advice unless they ask for it, because I know I hate when other people tell me what to do! :lol: I'm glad you didn't take offense. It sounds like you have a good amount of control over your life and your anxiety. If you are considering LMR, it might be better to contact Susan as I have heard at the moment she is handling all the rat adoptions.

Well socialized breeder rats are certainly a joy. SITH sounds great and I hope you won't be disappointed. :)

Back