-

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ametropia said:
Also, after thinking about it long and hard, while we could potentially bring home more than 2 to 4 rats with the cage that we have, I would in all honestly prefer to bring home less than more. The more I thought about having 6 or even more rats, the more I realized that the time I could dedicate personally to each one of them would suffer.

I'd rather go with less and spoil them rotten.

It's funny, I started out with two, then one passed away and I got a new pair, and then I gave into temptation and got another pair... at the high point I had 7, and then the oldest died so now I have 6. I find 2-3 to be an "easy" number, and honestly I don't think 6 takes any more effort (or they don't get as much attention) as 4, but I would like to keep no more than 4 in the future. It just seems like a more "reasonable" number. Not to mention it sounds better to potential landlords than higher numbers, if I ever have to move again.

... sorry for the tangent. I'm not sure what my point was there. :lol: I think I was trying to say that while bigger numbers seem daunting, they're really not that much more work. And you still get to spend time with individuals. But I think it's a good idea "getting into" or I guess re-getting into in your case, to start lower.

But at the same time I think a double CN would seem empty with only 4 (or less) in it. It seems big for my 6.

I think rat babies peak in adorable-ness at about 4 weeks.

ametropia said:
And I'll just come right out and say it now, even though I'm likely to be berated for it: These rats originally came from a petstore. But, we have the resources and the time to properly care for them, and are fully committed to treating and sticking with even a sick rat (none of them appear to be sick, one appears a little stressed and we're keeping an eye on her, but they've had a big day). I'll be taking them all for a vet check in the very near future, but I just want them to settle in for a bit first.

WHY would we berate you for ADOPTING rats that NEED a home?! It's absolutely wonderful that you were in a good position to take them and did so. We don't have problems with rats from pet stores, we have problems with people who support the pet mills by purchasing rats at pet stores!

Also, if after three weeks they are healthy and have no issues, SITH should have no problems selling rats to you still if you were wanting more as long as you did introductions properly.

CONGRATS! They are gorgeous little ladies :)

They are so cute. Most here may not like the pet store Idea, but i have never been put down here for having pet store rats, and I am not shy about it or why I do get them LOL I understand both sides but i have my reason for the ones i do chose to bring home. This is the first forum I have not been belittle for making a choice, which is why i am always here. They are going to love running around in that cage! I have 3 black hooded girls, they are all nuts I almost think it is the hooded part LOL your solid one looks like my edgar! She still looks like she has that dull coat.... mine changed and started to shine up around 7 weeks. they also look younger than the others? none of them look that old. That first one on your hand looks the biggest, at least 6 months? that seems to be the age girls kinda slow down.the smaller ones look like they are around 2-3 months old? hard to tell in pictures..

I love the names, rizzo is my favorite!

They are gorgeous! And as an FYI... I've had plenty of rescue who have originated from a pet store and were suppose to be feeders, ended up living to a good old age and remain healthy. :)

I am pretty sure the vast majority of us on here have rats that originated in pet stores, or were offspring of rats that originated in pet stores. Thats what the majority of rats in rescue situations are. For me I care more about what someone supports. Buying direct from a petstore/ backyard breeder supports irresponsible breeding, but adopting from a rescue/spca/etc supports rescuing rats already in need. I think its wonderful that you helped four needy ratties. I look forward to pictures!

They look adorable! I would say from the size they're in the realm of 3 months old.

I'm sure that a lot of people here got their first rats from pet stores not knowing any better (I know I did) AND in your case you are more or less rescuing as you did not go to the pet store and buy them, they came from your friend.

Congrats. Enjoy them. :D

Be careful with the cat, I have heard stories of cats needing stitches because a rat attacked through the bars. Maybe someone else with cats will weigh in.

Girls seem to be better with other animals. My girls love my dog... My boys, well nahla have 4 new scars on her nose from sticking it to close to the cage..... My girls dont like our cats but they never see them they are kinda strange, they wont come out of my daughters room and have been like that since they were kittens lol......

Some rats are more inclined to do their own thing, it's not a big deal. Give them some more time to settle in and you may still see a change. It's early days yet.

I have noticed if it is on the ground they pee on it or in it but my girls only pee on the lower level where their litter box is.. I generally only hang tunnels in the lower level the stff that has to sit on the floor like that bed I put on the upper leve and it survives longger. It might help.i

Back