The Forbidden Foods List!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SQ said:
green beans are ok, besides they are mostly the pod.

I think "raw dry beans" would be uncooked dry beans

They should just say uncooked legumes, that is why peanuts are included in the "beans". Green beans are legumes, so fresh ones should be cooked as well. Fresh ones still contain the hemagglutinins which are the antinutrient we are trying to avoid.

Since most people aren't aware of all the different foods that are legumes, here are the most common ones:
List of Commonly Used Legumes
asparagus bean or snake bean
asparagus pea
baby lima bean
black bean
black turtle bean
Boston bean
Boston navy bean
broad bean
cannellini bean
chickpeas
chili bean
coco bean
cranberry bean
Egyptian bean
Egyptian white broad bean
English bean
fava bean
fava-coceira
field pea
French green beans
frijo bola roja
frijole negro
great Northern bean
green beans
green and yellow peas
kidney beans
lima bean
Madagascar bean
Mexican black bean
Mexican red bean
molasses face bean
mung bean
mung pea
mungo bean
navy bean
pea bean
Peruvian bean
pinto bean
red bean
red eye bean
red kidney bean
rice bean
runner bean
scarlet runner bean
small red bean
small white bean
soy bean or soybean
wax bean
white kidney bean
white pea bean

jorats said:
Yogurt on occasion is fine. The problem with lactose, I believe is like us, being intolerant but a wee bit doesn't hurt.
As for the veggies you've mentioned, I'm pretty sure those are all fine. Again...everything in moderation.

i'm glad to hear its okay occasionally, after i started reading everything i got nervous. sophie likes to lick out the stuff i can't get out of the container with my spoon and goes nuts over it.

Watch out for the sugar in the store bought yogurt.
I'm sure a few licks is fine, but I know that a lot of the flavored stuff has a lot of sugar.

I started Giving Punzel some more goodies, she is loving her Naners and she loooooves puree blueberries and apples. I will try her with some puree butternut squash too. She also loves coconut, i only give her little tiny slivers of it. She likes yogurt, and honey, but doesnt like carrots or straw berries. Oh but Raspberries-- her and i fight over them heehee

I am really bad at keeping fresh produce around. It always goes bad so fast, and I feel like i'm wasting it. My boys most get baby food, natural kind, where the ingredients are like "bananas and water" or "sweet potatoes and water" I like this because its cheep and I can keep it way easier. I try and get enough fresh for them once a week or so, the natural grocery store up here is good about letting you buy just a little of something.

Okay, so curious on a couple items....I haven't really seen them in the lists although may just be blind right now.

One is broccoli and cauliflower...I remember being told not to give broccoli because of how much gas it produces, not sure on the cauliflower.
The second is onions. Pretty sure they're toxic to cats or dogs or something, but wasn't sure on rats. I'd never want to give them raw, but what about cooked? Any difference in the type? (red, white, green?).

Thanks!!!

Onions should be safe if cooked, but if you were giving them somethink like left over stirfry or spaghetti sauce or something, you're probably safest to pull out the pieces you can easily identify.

I give broccoli and cauliflower all the time, cooked and raw. If I can handle the farts, so can they.

Moon said:
Onions should be safe if cooked, but if you were giving them somethink like left over stirfry or spaghetti sauce or something, you're probably safest to pull out the pieces you can easily identify.

I give broccoli and cauliflower all the time, cooked and raw. If I can handle the farts, so can they.

haha Thanks Moon!

My trio seem to love carrots. The apple I tried to give them for breakfast wasn't a big hit, but it may be because I have my own apple trees so it was fresh and maybe a bit tart. The pear slices were more popular.

What about sugar snap peas, fresh ones? Can I feed it to them in the pod, or should they be shelled?

Back