The Forbidden Foods List!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and as for those yogurt bites - Claire and Alice won't take them from me anyway so I have no more reason to buy them heheh.. Anyone else have rats that hate them?

My ratties like the yogis, fruit flavored over cheese. They really despise those freeze dried yogurt bits that are sold in the baby food aisle. In fact, they really don't like any of those dried fruits or veggies, like Just Tomatoes.
Our girl Dusty,the one with all the respiratory issues is such a princess, her Highness will only eat her special meal of baby cereal, etc. with watermelon. Go figure.....

Haha, I've found that I'm eating healthier because I'm more conscious of what my ratties eat and I always make our plates at the same time so we can eat together.

Lisette said:
Haha, I've found that I'm eating healthier because I'm more conscious of what my ratties eat and I always make our plates at the same time so we can eat together.

haha I've been doing the same! I'll do up veggies and grab out some for them before adding my dressing or garlic depending what I'm making..even last night we had spaghetti so I pulled out a few noodles each for them before adding the sauce lol

That's what I thought. Read something online about a person who fed that and I immediately knew that wasn't a good idea. I can stand peppers myself, too bloody hot.

Hmm... is the link on this post old? I tried clicking it and it's not working. :(
I had a question about oranges. A long time ago i read you shouldn't feed oranges to a rat but when i got Pickle back from the Vet he had a piece of orange in there with him, he didn't touch it tho, or the carrot. He's a bit picky about his veggies and how cooked he likes some of them. :giggle:
So can you feed oranges to a rat? And someone mentioned tomatoes. Really?! I'd think it would be toxic if you didn't remove the branch or the little green leafs on top of the tomatoe... i mean you can't eat leaves from a tomatoe plant, you'd get sick so maybe this is where "No tomatoes for rats" come from?? I make myself vegetable soup sometimes and they love when i give them cooked carrot or pieces of tomatoes.

And the yog drops... i got them for my boys when they were kids and well... they would stash them the yog but never ate them.
So i wondered if maybe they tasted nasty and i had one. I gotta say they were really sweat and tasted awesome just like human junk food! I ended up eating it all. :oops:

I also had a taste of the Oxbow regal rat and it taste like crap, not apples. No wonder they didn't want it. :sick2:
Sorry if i'm scaring anyone with my curiosity! :cheeky:

The Pet Rats Canada website has been down for a few months now. That's why the link isn't working.

I've heard that oranges are not supposed to be fed to male rats but I've also heard that they'd have to eat like ten times their body weight for it to matter. I've never given my rats any kind of citrus fruits simply because they love plain old bananas and apples more.

Yogies are awful for rats, they're so full of sugar that I'd never feed them to my rats. My rats get their lab blocks, and fresh veggies daily. Once a week as a treat they get fruit. They're more than happy on this diet, in fact they go NUTS for their veggies as if it was a treat!

Thanks for the info! :bow:

Aye, i don't buy the yog drops anymore, i only did once.
I gotta admit i used to let them eat like kings tho but now that's all gonna change.
Crank is too fat and Pickle had tumors. I told my boyfriend not to let them cheat while i'm gone too!

The FORBIDDEN FOODS LIST can also be found Here:

http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html

Forbidden Foods
Generally, if you would eat a food, you can give it to your rats. Here are some exceptions and notables:
raw dry beans or peanuts—contains antinutrients that destroy vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches, and causes red blood cells to clump
raw sweet potato—contains compounds that form cyanide in the stomach
green bananas—inhibits starch-digesting enzymes
green potato skin and eyes —contain solanine, a toxin
wild insects—can carry internal parasites and diseases
raw bulk tofu—can contain bacteria; packaged raw tofu is safe
orange juice—forbidden for male rats only, d-limonene in the skin oil, which gets into the orange juice during squeezing, can cause kidney damage and kidney cancer due to a protein that only male rats have in their kidneys. Pieces of the orange fruit are okay if you wash the orange-skin oil off of it after peeling it.

Foods to Feed with Caution
carbonated beverages—rats can’t burp (but they can fart!)

Dried corn can contain high levels of fungal contaminates which has been shown to cause liver cancer in rats. Corn also contains high levels of both nitrates and amines. These two compounds can combine in the stomach to form nitrosamines which are carcinogenic.
Other foods high in nitrates include beets, celery, eggplant, lettuce, cucumber, radishes, spinach, collards and turnip greens. Therefore, I suggest you limit the amount of these foods in your rat’s diet. Some fresh corn is fine, but if you feed your rats blocks, try to avoid brands which have corn as the first ingredient.

Mold Warning
Spoiled or moldy food can contain deadly toxins. Never give nuts, grains, vegies or other food that looks or smells odd or spoiled. Don’t buy too much food ahead. Molds can grow even in sealed plastic bags. When cutting up veggies, cut off the dried part that has been exposed from previous cutting and throw it away. If you see mold growing on a food, throw the whole thing away. Do not attempt to cut away the moldy section. Invisible mold filaments penetrate deep into the food.

Thanks for the update! :D
By the way, is salad okay? They love chinese cabages, bokchoy, icerberg salad and fresh herbs.
I don't see how any of those could be bad except maybe the chinese cabage cause it's cabage... what if it's cooked?

I give my rats field greens from the grocery store.
They also like pieces of tomato and cucumber ... sweet pepper not so much.

Be careful of foods that can cause gas.
Gas can be dangerous and kill according to my previous vet.

Are raw fresh green beans okay? my guys love them. Dose Ray dry beans mean ..like kidney beans and stuff?

So, if avacado pits are toxic, what about the avacado itself? My ratties had a couple small pieces in some vegetarian sushi last weekend... They loved it :p no seed of course!

Wikipedia!

Toxins

Some kinds of raw beans and especially red and kidney beans, contain a harmful toxin (the lectin Phytohaemagglutinin) that must be destroyed by cooking. A recommended method is to boil the beans for at least ten minutes; undercooked beans may be more toxic than raw beans.[8] Cooking beans in a slow cooker, because of the lower temperatures often used, may not destroy toxins even though the beans do not smell or taste 'bad'[8] (though this should not be a problem if the food reaches boiling and stays there for some time).

Back