The Forbidden Foods List!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rats think that fruits and veggies ARE spoiling! You just have to find the right fruit/veggie. They don't know that to us, chocolate (or other sugary foods) is a "treat", so they won't feel deprived, don't worry! So stay away from chocolate and go for, as Jo said, bananas. Or a recent favorite around here, seedless red grapes.

Thanks...does this include those choc drops for Rats?? do you know the ones in the little red packet from most pet stores; there's yoghurt drops, milk drops and choc ones. which should I get?

The little red packets of chocolate, I remember reading them and thinking they weren't so bad. But I still wouldn't give them too many.

Thanks! well i'll stick to the yog drops and milk drops then - can anyone reccomend one of those over the other?

Oh and some last questions, cheerios; am I suppose to be giving these to my Rats as a treat only? if so weekley? daily?

Veggies I know can be given to them everyday, but what about fruits?

Fruits have sugar, so don't give as much as veggies. Mine get fruit every second day, and only a lil piece.

Don't bother with the yogurt drops at all... they're just junk. Stick to cheerios and all the other fresh stuff mentioned.

I don't think all rats are. Some are, just like humans. I'm yet to find a reliable survey. My rats have had dairy (over 80) rats without problems. If they were LI I'm sure I'd have seen something.

All rats are lactose intolerant. They do not have the enzyme required to break it down. This is a fact.

From Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=4758&page=22
Poor performance and cataract formation occurred in rats fed lactose or galactose (Day and Pigman, 1957); diarrhea was also observed in weanling rats fed α- or β-lactose (Baker et al., 1967).

Like with humans you'd get cramping, poor digestion, poor bowel movements. And from what I quoted above, cataracts. Just because you think your rats did fine, you have no idea what they struggled with internally.

Wouldn't you be able to tell if they were in discomfort?

I don't know much about cataracts... never had a rat with it (it's the cloudy eye yes?)... :oops:

Rachael said:
Wouldn't you be able to tell if they were in discomfort?

I don't know much about cataracts... never had a rat with it (it's the cloudy eye yes?)... :oops:

Rat's hide their illnesses pretty good. Also they cant come out and tell you that thier bellys hurt.
& yes its the cloudy eye.

Why is corn not allowed to be feed to them?? All rat foods have dried corn in it. I am going through my food right now and taking out the corn. Is there a food without corn in it? if so please let me know. I was wondering what some of you feed your ratties. I feed them the pet blocks, rat food, fruits, veggies, and whole grain crackers, baby food, dry cereal.

Back