The Forbidden Foods List!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We mainly feed lab blocks like harlan teklad, Oxbow, Mazuri breeder F6, Extrusions(for hamsters but also great for rats),and if you can not find any of those or can not get your hands on them you can give kaytee pro heath blocks and with daily veggies and such with all blocks given. Most do not even give a seed mix, most seed mixes is only junk to rats anyways.

Also corn contains mold if given the chance such as them getting wet i would think or sometimes you see brownish ones in the bag.

dried corn, It can have high levels of fungal contaminates which can lead to liver cancer. A little fresh corn is fine.

Where do you get your lab blocks from?? I would also like to know what types of veggies you feed. I try to stay away from the green leafy vegetables that are come from Mexico, because of the high qualities of lead.

I think I am going to go here. The stuff you find at pet stores just don't cut it anymore. They have very limited selections.

You want a lab block to have LOW protein (under 18%). You want their diet to be roughly 80% good quality Lab Block, and 20% fresh, healthy foods (veggies, mostly). And NO SEED MIXES. It's the equivalent to feeding rats McDonald's all the time.

Sometimes I get seed mix donated to the rescue, I keep it on hand in case I need to bribe someone to sit still for pictures, but other than that I don't give it at all.

Treats should be kept to a bare minimum. I give treats like whole grain sugar free cheerios maybe twice a week. Mainly though, my rats think their veggies ARE treats. Haha!

If you have any other questions about good lab blocks readily available in Ontario, feel free to PM me :)

Veggies Include:
Kale
Romain Mix
Baby Greens
Broccoli
Shredded Baby Carrots
Cauliflower
Cucmber
Corn on the cob (Occasionally)
Frozen Peas Thawed in Warm Water

Is there a list of safe fruits and vegetables? I haven't been able to find anything about blueberries... Are those ok?

I'm so happy to hear that! I was eating some blueberries yesterday and my boys and girls were going crazy!! Lol. I will be sure to give them each one today to try. :)
Thanks!

We have 4 rats that all seem to dislike most berries, especially blueberries and we live in the area of Maine they call the "blueberry capital of the world". Go figure. :giggle:

We give our ratties occasional treats of raw unsalted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. They have been recommended by the Rat lady as well as others. :?

Also when our rats are ill and/or have lost weight, we have been told to feed them yogurt, also baby cereal mixed with Ensure. Are these not dairy products? :wallbang:

Now, the main reason I'm posting here is that I have never seen on the good and/or forbidden lists about summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers, radishes,celery, kohlrabi, turnip, beets or beet greens, swiss chard, spinach. Does anyone have any info on these veggies? :panic:

Yogurt on occasion is fine. The problem with lactose, I believe is like us, being intolerant but a wee bit doesn't hurt.
As for the veggies you've mentioned, I'm pretty sure those are all fine. Again...everything in moderation.

Ok guys. Call me stupid, but the dried corn question hasn't been answered for me. I have forti-diet and several other lab blocks, and all contain corn meal. Also, that Crafty rat store some of you guys suggest, sells a set of 4 dried corn on the cobs for rats. I bought a bag of dried yellow corn on the cob for my rats, and they love them as a treat. I break off single kernels hand hand feed them.

As far as i can tell, all of the lab blocks contain corn meal (which is made from dried corn).

I understand that Corn is bad for some animals such as grazing animals. Corn fed cows for example get bleeding stomach ulcers from corn, as their stomachs are not made to eat corn. They were meant to eat grass. Fortunately (or unfortunately) they go to slaughter long before they die of corn-induced bleeding ulcers. Corn fattens them up for market faster than free-range.

Anyhow, I don't understand the corn-conundrum. Can anyone address this?

CrocHunter said:
Ok guys. Call me stupid, but the dried corn question hasn't been answered for me. I have forti-diet and several other lab blocks, and all contain corn meal. Also, that Crafty rat store some of you guys suggest, sells a set of 4 dried corn on the cobs for rats. I bought a bag of dried yellow corn on the cob for my rats, and they love them as a treat. I break off single kernels hand hand feed them.

As far as i can tell, all of the lab blocks contain corn meal (which is made from dried corn).

I understand that Corn is bad for some animals such as grazing animals. Corn fed cows for example get bleeding stomach ulcers from corn, as their stomachs are not made to eat corn. They were meant to eat grass. Fortunately (or unfortunately) they go to slaughter long before they die of corn-induced bleeding ulcers. Corn fattens them up for market faster than free-range.

Anyhow, I don't understand the corn-conundrum. Can anyone address this?

The corn in the mixes can have a fungus on them which is not good for the rats. Fresh corn on the cob can be used as a treat. Mine love it, but as I said used as a treat.

Also, Corn Meal has been processed so that it can be digested.
Whole corn can't really be digested by anything, so it isn't really nutritious, which is why it should be avoided as an ingredient in pet food... but if its been processed, the nutrients are released.

I'm getting a lot of different info here. So whole corn (dried or fresh?) can't be digested? I don't understand.

If it is ground up, that suddenly makes it ok? Don't the rats grind it up when they chew it?

Fresh corn can be eaten and passed just fine, but pretty much nothing can digest it and get nutrients from it... Its fine to eat, its tasty, it just passes right through. (i'm sure you've seen this if you've eaten any corn)

If a food company processes it by turning it into a meal, then the nutrients can be accessed. Mealing is more than just grinding it up...

The only harm in corn is that sometimes it gets moldy, which often happens in the seed bags you can get at the store.

Did some research. Looks like the only part of corn that isn't digestible is the outer membrane. Everything else is very digestible. Inside you'll find carbohydrates, and a small amount of protein, along with a few vitamins and minerals. Of course, if you don't chew, you'll never get to those items inside.

CrocHunter said:
Did some research. Looks like the only part of corn that isn't digestible is the outer membrane. Everything else is very digestible. Inside you'll find carbohydrates, and a small amount of protein, along with a few vitamins and minerals. Of course, if you don't chew, you'll never get to those items inside.

Exactly. Although it's not a good food for dogs, it's perfectly fine for rats. I've been trying to dispel the myth that corn for rats is bad. It's a whole grain and a great source of energy for rats.

Unlike dogs, rats get their energy source from carbs, not protein and not fat which is why dog food is not good for them.

Thanks a lot everyone for your opinions. Its a lot better for me to get all of your experience rather than just my own research. I got pretty nervous when i saw corn on that list of things not to feed.

Back