Zeus -Still at the Vets...HOME :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Zeus or Daddy Zeus as I call him arrived with all his sons on Sept. 29, 2010. The sons were 4-5 months old including little Chaos. Chaos was the only one in the group who had high white markings and had to be pts for late onset megacolon. :sad3: he looked like his mom apparently.

The others are variations of beige and fawn and are moderately sized boys. Daddy was always small, but stocky. Well hes been losing weight little by little and I should've been weighing him, but I didn't :doh: I started really worrying at how light and bony he was. I thought he was about 6-7 months old when I got him, but maybe he was a full adult? Making him old? He looks like an old rat now. He feels like an old rat, BUT he's losing weight more rapidly than an oldie should. His feet were cool today, and his nail beds dark with no lung sounds (he's never had a URI) so I am starting him on diagnostic enalapril for the weekend, and next week I'll take him in to see Dr Munn if there's no real response. He's a darling boy, loves all rats, is my soother and peacemaker of any group and can be put in with a total stranger and just be his sweet self.

When he arrived with all his sons (looking at camera on right)
TorRescuesSep2910.jpg

sep29KeiranandDad.jpg

Oct 11
oct11Daddy2.jpg

oct11Daddy1.jpg

With his sons and Eli on Nov. 6
youngboysupforadoptionnov6.jpg

With his bigger son Hermes (he also feels a bit like Daddy these days) on Mar. 14
mar14HermesandZeus.jpg

Apr. 7
apr7Zeus.jpg

and today
jun25Zeus5.jpg

jun25Zeus4.jpg

jun25Zeusfeet.jpg

jun25Zeus2.jpg

jun25Zeus3.jpg

jun25Zeus1.jpg

And with Thomas to show you the size comparison (Thomas feels more solid and heavy)
jun25ThomasandZeus.jpg

jun25ThomasandZeus2.jpg

I need to buy a new scale as mine died a 5short0 time. ago...t.hanks Ze.us for the help tuyping :D

As everyone knows the meds really really helped Zeus to bounce back and to gain weight, and energy. He bounced around, and played with Thomas until recently. He took a big downturn...I was hoping it was just an adjustment of dosages he needed but it was much more. Last night I watched him and held him, as it felt like little shocks were running through his body, his heart beat was thudding and felt erratic. I was sure he would pass overnight...he didn't. I am taking in my boy to Dr Munn, but I don't think he'll be able to help poor Doosers. I am going to let them know, that he should be pts if he's suffering and his prognosis looks poor. There's no fight in my miserable little man, he's confused and not feeling well at all. He looks sooo tired. :sad3:

:sad3:

You already bought him some quality time... poor Zeus.

Good luck at the vet. And if you have to help him cross the bridge, I have no doubt it will be for the best. :hugs:

You would think that after all this time, and so many rats I would deal with these things better, but once I stop concentrating and start not taking deep breaths, I need to call the clinic. I wanted to know whether he was still on this earthly plane or if faint hope should continue.

They did a prelim exam, and they are going to do an x-ray to see what's going on there, and will try to treat him if its something they can, after seeing the x-rays. Obviously they will be looking at his heart and looking for enlargement, masses, etc. The next 24 hours will be critical and he is going to be staying there. IF he doesn't respond to treatment then they will let him go. :undecided:

We never get used to losing friends - and rats are friends. I'll be thinking of both of you - sending healing vibes to poor Zeus and stay strong vibes to poor Shelagh... :hugs:

I'm so sorry, Shelagh... Zeus is such a sweet man, I hope there's something they can do... but if there isn't, you know you've done everything you can. I know Zeus knows that too. ::hugs::

Ratty Momma said:
It never gets easier ...we will be thinking of you both in the next 24 hours :heart:

The 24 hours starts once they have done the x-ray late this afternoon, and have determined if they can treat it. He could be pts after the x-ray or if he doesn't respond to treatment, so its still scary, and I have a very long time to wait for any news.

:hus: I can't imagine how you feel right now

Just remember you are one of the greatest rat moms I know!

I hope everything works out for the best :heart:

:hugs: watching eagerly for updates. :hugs: I'm so sorry you have to wait so long to find out, it's truly such a helpless feeling.

Are you home now? If so, go subject some unwilling participants in some forcible rat snuggles. :heart:

Back