Young males soon will need a new cage...?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda1472

I have two young male rats, about 6 weeks old. I know they will outgrow their current cage soon (im guessing in a month or two). This is what i currently looks like, though iv taken out the wheel for more room and they dont even play in it.

7258638320_a92264e9e6.jpg

7258636484_e344cd64a5.jpg

7258634688_4a2108cb53.jpg

Now ill be bale to buy a new cage as soon as my old fish tank and accessories sell, (hopefully within a month), and these are the cages im thinking about. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice on them or other cages, and help me narrow my search to two or three cages.
My budget (for now) is max 85$ and i live in canada (shipping).

Thanks

The cages im thinking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Deluxe- ... 6653623-20
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-First-E ... 929&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-First-M ... 6653623-20
http://www.amazon.com/Petco-PETCO-Rat-M ... 6653623-20

The first one and the last one are no good ... the bases are too small.
The first cage seperates very easily from the base - a huge danger if you have other pets or if they would be in danger if they got out when you were not around. The bar spacing in the first cage is too large for small rats.

The middle 2 are ok, but the comfort wheel included is not a very good wheel, so a waste of money - the silent spinner is a much better wheel.
You are unlikely to be happy with either of those cages, for several reason but mainly because of the "pee rivers" - the groove in each of the shelves. :?

If you order from the US you will have:
shipping costs (free shipping is usually only within the US)
possibly duty
brokerage fees which may be $100 or more
hst

I would suggest you check out flowertown chin http://www.chinchilla.ca/
and also your local kijiji
40 inch long rabbit cages with added homemade shelves make nice cages for a couple of rats - but bar spacing is too wide for small rats.

I'd say the middle two are good size and lots of levels, but may be frustrating to clean and the like. No one will tell you it's a bad cage for the rats, but it may be a bad cage for you because of how hard it is to get inside it to clean, etc.

Thank you everyone. And yes i have been looking in Kajiji but everything advertised for rats are the same size as the cage i have now or even smaller.

I was also hoping which cage from Flower Town chinchillas would you recommend, so far i only see cages way above my price range, plus my parents have to be good with the pricing, even if i do have the money.

I have the second link cage! I am so happy with that cage, it is the best. My two rat girlies play around in it all the time. They never have gone to pee on the plastic shelves, they only go to the bathroom on the main level. It's very easy for me to clean, actually! It's been a great investment so far. :)

I have two of the exotic's cage's superimposed so it's an 8 level cage now :). My girl's love it, I do too but yes it is quite bad to clean (I called that cage all the bad word's I could come up with when I had to clean it) but u adapt (I no longer take the shelves out I wipe the shelves down with vinegar and without the base I toss it in the shower to scrub the bars).

Thanks everyone, after talking to my dad he feels bad that we bought them a small cage, he told me we should of just bought a large cage the first time, which made me fell bad because i didnt think they would let me get a large one right away. Anyways i think we may go out today and just get one from petsmart. I will get back to you if we do and tell ya what cage we got ^^

Update: I was going to buy a second hand cage but it was sold and it was too small in the end. So now i have these options: Im putting them in order of what i think my dad will choose. If you have experience with one of these cages or another you like better tell me (Our budget is below 80$. Thanks

New Large Economical 4 Levels Ferret Chinchilla Sugar Glider Rats Cage For Small Animal or Bird
517DQ7ku7iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Price: $69.95
Rats held comfortably: 5
4 Slide-up exterior food and water access doors 2 Large Slide-Up access front doors,
2 smaller slide-up doors on side for breeding boxes, bottom grille.
Comes with 3 ladders and 3 platforms.
30"Length x 18"Depth x 36"Height

Super Pet My First Home for Exotics, Large
61C9ATT74lL._AA300_.jpg
aw2t2.jpg

Price: $73.58
Size: 30"L x 18" W x 30"H
Layout: Includes 3 comfort shelves, 3 safety ramps, a cozy hammock, an 11" exercise wheel, and a pet name plate.
Rats held comfortably: 4 rats

Super Pet My First Home Multi-Floor, Large
61Mh2NS6AoL._AA300_.jpg
61xYIHwi2JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Price: $59.01
Rats held comfortably: 4
18.1 x 30.2 x 29 inches
Snaps together easily with no tools required
Includes deep plastic base, 3 Safety Ramps, 3 Comfort Shelves, food dish, and toy

The last two cages are almost identical in size except the second has large bar spacing. Honestly, all those cages look like going to be a pain to clean and you'll have to modify the first somehow to use more of the space. I would buy something used now and save money to buy a better cage in the future.

This is an ok cage if you add a homemade shelf or two - I use it for my fosters and I'm quite happy with it for it's purpose http://london.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessor ... Z364841003 -- Because your rats are babies though, the bar spacing may be too big though.

This cage is also quite big AND the bar spacing will keep baby rats in http://london.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessor ... Z364841003 You'll have to make some shelves for it but I think you'll be much happier with this one than the others.

Thanks, my dad and i tried the whole used cage idea, but it didnt work out. And i also didnt like the idea on spending 40$ or so now, which would need modifications, and then spending 70$ later, when we could just spend 70$ now and have a good cage. Thank you though, that was our first though, in till we did research and tried contacting people on Kijiji.

so my dad finally emailed me back, and he said its totally up to me, im not sure, one is bigger, but it has all wire, while one is smaller but has plastic. Of course i would add toys/Hammocks (already sewed five, though might not fit all of them ^^. And im going out today to get toys for the 'new cage')

Which one would you choose?

The second one because of bar spacing, and because I don't like the slide up doors on the first one, because gravity makes them slide closed too. I think its harder to get your rats out while holding open the door. And you wouldn't want it to slide down on one of your ratties accidentally.

Thank you guys, my mom and I had a talk on pros and cons and we have decided on.....

Super Pet My First Home for Exotics, Large

I also bought toys for them to add when even i get the cage (ropes to climb, and some little balls that you can put treats in for them to get it etc)

When ever i get it i will show you it and how its set up. Thank you for all your help and advice!

Im having a hard time finding a site that will ship to me, or if they di its over my budget. I only found one so far. Can sny one help me? As long as the cage is 80$ and under

Im in London Ontario
Postal code is N6H 0E3

Have you checked the stores on your area? or asked if a store will order one in for you?
The only place I know of to order from in Canada is flowertownchin and they do not sell that cage.
If you were to order from the US, the shipping and brokerage fees would likely be huge. :(

Back