Yet Another PT Lass :/ (Rolo) RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Tria has had PT for bit now, and she's on steroid therapy. She's doing "okay" but not great, but what do you expect from a 32 month old lady? And now Rolo definitely has PT. I've been getting funny feelings about little Rolo, suspecting PT, and then suddenly she was eating normally again, and the warning bells in my head silenced for a bit. She was supposed to have a very vascular, smallish but hard tumour removed next week, but it looks like it won't be happening. Poor little lady is advancing fast through the symptoms, and I often find her face first against a wall just standing there, confused. :sad3:

I am going to try the bromocriptine on her, as she's a relatively young girl, decent health, and a chance to live a little longer I hope. She's already had her first dose of dex and bromo.

She arrived looking bright most of the time
may4Rolo9.jpg

She was very excited about her new life and all the freedoms it entailed :mrgreen:
may8Rolo.jpg

and tonight :undecided:

may28RoloPT.jpg

may28RoloPT2.jpg

but even though she's a bit confused she's not stupid, and knows when to take advantage of time for a little grooming while she's supported. :giggle:

may28Rolo3.jpg

may28Rolo2.jpg

may28Rolo.jpg

My sweet Rolo-icious. :heart:

OMG so adorable. That poor baby :( How old is she? She seems way too young to have to put up with this. Then again, that's PT for you I guess.

Poor baby :hugs: If the tumour is mammary the Bromo may help reduce it's size as well. I'm crossing my fingers it helps her.

Goodness, looks like she went downhill pretty fast since last night... I'm so sorry, sweetie, it's so tough making a call between how bad the PT is and how it would affect the outcome of an operation...

Rolo, your utterly-unofficial godmothers are rooting for you!

My plan was if the PT stayed more as a suspicion or at least very mild symptoms, I would let her go through the surgery, which would likely amp up the PT, but then start her on dex and bromo as soon as she showed symptoms, but since she has them a week prior, there's just no chance now. Rats with PT stop healing, so there's no way I would put her through surgery. Its a nasty little tumour though, so I will be watching her symptoms and that beggar carefully. She's a little more active this morning but there's not a lot of change. Maybe tonight? :sad-p:

Poor little thing; can you just keep her as comfortable as possible, keep up the meds, and just love her? Do you think she's suffering at this point, or just somewhat weak and confused. This is always so hard; I don't know how you do it, having several with a variety of illnesses on the go. You must be very strong. Sending love to little Rolo, and all your fur-babies.

Ratticus said:
Poor little thing; can you just keep her as comfortable as possible, keep up the meds, and just love her? Do you think she's suffering at this point, or just somewhat weak and confused. This is always so hard; I don't know how you do it, having several with a variety of illnesses on the go. You must be very strong. Sending love to little Rolo, and all your fur-babies.

I prefer my PT cases to be one at a time, but life never quite works like that :p Neither girl is suffering, PT is not a painful condition, you just need to make sure they get good and liquids and monitor them all the time.

I might put Rolo and Tria together so I can monitor them more easily...they are both sweet gentle rats and would accept each other instantly. The only worry I have is Inca. Inca would be alone, and she's one rat-aggressive girl. :( Also my 3 legged dynamo has developed a tumour just above her stump, and that will need to be removed, and she needs to be spayed (she's a youngish adult). A 3 legged rat cannot have a tumour on them. Inca attacks any rat that comes near her...there's no preliminaries...so now I shall add her to my worries. :roll:

It's been my experience that anesthetics really progresses PT, scary fast.
Poor sweetheart...it may be a slow one or bromo might be successful on her too.

Sweet Rolo, it is hard to see her getting PT. I hope that she accepts the Bromo and that it helps. Are you starting her on the full dose, or working her up to it? I don't know whether the few days of Bromo helped my girls Cadillac & Caramel. They soon refused to take it, and my attempts to keep them on it had given them strong aversions to many foods. But they are doing pretty well on Pred now. Caddy is a little confused, and Caramel is thin and frail, but they both have the will to live. I am hoping that the Bromo helped somehow.

And Inca :( . That is tough news. You have a lot on your plate right now.... what am I saying? It is not just right now, it is a constant. I so admire your energy and strength.

Well it looks like Rolo might have to chance surgery anyways. The little tumour is even nastier. A rat scratched it and it bled the other day but it was just a thin line of a scratch. Now its a big rough scab above and a blue thing below.

May29Roloslump.jpg

We are going to try to keep her on the PT meds up to and after the surgery to see if she can make it through, because IF that thing doesn't come off, we will lose her anyways. MY poor Rolo. :cry:

Back