Worried .....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
The ratties and I moved to Godmothers on Thurs/Fri for a couple of weeks as I am rat sitting for her.
I am concerned about some of my ratties

My group of 4 seniors .... all around 2 years ... I think ...

Solomon is wayyyy overweight and has dropped about 40 grams this month down to 683 g. He has developed hed in the last month. Since moving he is now wheezing. I had him to the vet on Friday and he was doing ok but now he is much worse. I have him on baytril, clavamox & lasix. Solomon looks horrible - someone has been barbering him and he is now missing a lot of hair.

Petite Grise
was doing so much better on heart meds that she gained weight. The added weight gain has made her breathing much worse. Petite Grise is on meds because she has a deformed spine that puts pressure on her chest and the organs in her chest, making it difficult for her to breath. She is on baytril, zithro, benezapril, atenolol, & lasix. She is slowing down and wheezing so the lasix has been increased to 3 times/day. She too is not very active but has lost 26 grams this month and is down to 444g.

Molly is aging and slowing down.
Alberta is aging, slowing down and very fat.

As for the others:
Easter and Paul's baby boys are 8 weeks old today. One of the boys has started wheezing. He is now on clavamox.

Christmas started wheezing since moving so he is now on baytril & clavamox.

Petra (1 yr old) started wheezing since Friday so she now on baytril & clavamox.
Matthew, her brother, has now started wheezing and is going to be started on baytril & clavamox tonight.
Moses was 1 in Nov and his brother, Aaron, died of a heart attack in early December. Moses is on baytril because he was showing signs of myco. Like his brother Aaron, Moses is very overweight but since moving in with Miriam and her family, he has become a bit more active. i am wondering if heart meds might relieve some of the stress on his heart until his weight (hopefully) drops a bit. Moses and Aaron were on a diet and exercise plan for about a year but no significant changes.

And of course Easter and Storm were spayed today and so are now on pain meds and antibiotics.

So far, the remainder of the 32 ratties are doing ok ...

In March I found out that i could buy 40 Ib bags of oxbow locally for about the same price as a 30 Ib bag of Harlan Tech. I switched everyone to oxbow. They love the new oxbow formula and prefer it over harlan but it turns out that oxbow has more calories :sad3:
All ratties had a significant weight increase :cry4: .... and none were too thin to start with :roll: .... so everyone is now back on harlan.
I am thinking of trying to get the old formula of oxbow to facilate weight loss ...

Any ideas?
I am particularily worried about Solomon and Petite Grise .....

The stress of the move is probably what caused all the wheezing in the rats. It will take some time for them to adjust and no longer be affected.

Thanks Jorats,
that is what I am hoping but they they keep sounding worse ....

Wondering if it could be the air, it seems much dryer here ... and the last few days the weather has gotten a lot colder too.

My fat monsters gained on oxbow too I am thinking about stoppingnthem from eating that food for a while.

I to think it is probably just the change in air that started the wheezing, hopefully as they adjust they will feel much better.
....of course the extra weight makes everything more serious. I am thinking it is more important to watch their weight...none of my rats have been fat but I have had a few heavier boys and they where the ones who either died suddenly or had more health problems.....I have cut out all treats and feed only Harlan and a small amount of veggies......since doing this I have had a big improvement in health. I have not had anyone on meds for .......a long time. For the older ones I would make their blocks mushy...but still only give blocks...not add anything to it....and small small portion of veggies. Half a cooked carrot would be enough for 4 rats....and 8 to 10 blocks daily.....I would leave 4-6 hard and make mush out of the rest (with just warm water) Getting weight off them will go a long way in helping their health problems....

What a handful! I can't imagine looking after so many, especially on meds.
My boys all gained a bit on oxbow as well :/ I wonder if they even still manufacture th3 old formula?
Hugs to you and all your kiddos, I hope those under the weather start feeling better, and that you take care of yourself and don't get too worn out.

Thank you !!

Great minds think alike Dahlas LOL ! I have been doing those things for over a year .... my rats know that treat means a piece of carrot, broccoli, field greens etc. My rats are very large but usually don't become overweight until middle age starts slowing them down. (Can't believe active trim baby Storm was 240 g at 6 weeks) Thank you for the suggestions .... helps to know I am on the right track. And thanks for the reminder that I need to keep a focus on weight loss. Hard to get them to lose weight living at my mothers because they no longer have a large free range area (Just a tiny one) :(

Easter and Storm seem ok today ... all stiches are still in. Petite Grisse seems about the same.

Very worried about Solomon .... after a year of trying to get him to lose weight he is finally losing weight because he is so ill. Tried the seamy bathroom last night but it did not help. Also tried a puffer, but it didn't seem to help either. Going to try switching from clavamox to zithro today and trying benezapril in case it is his heart. Started him on lasix 3xs/day yesterday. Wondering if pred might help his breathing and his legs .... he can no longer use his back legs .... he went from trucking (with a ot of effort) around the room a week and a half ago to not being able to use or move his hind legs this week .. way too Fast!
I was unable to get Solomon in to see a rat knowledgeable vet today so have an appointmet tomorrow.
Thinking of trying to find the money and have xrays done on him, Petite Grisse, Moses and possibly Molly & Alberta.

Man sounds like alot of stress for you right now, I hope everything works out for you SQ. Btw I didn't know or was aware of oxbow having alot of calories. But several people here at Rat Shack suggested that brand for my boys since Mazuri wasn't exactly the best for them either. I was quite enough that one was said over the other, Mazuri did ok with my boys, though they didn't really seem to like it that much and would naw at it and ignore it and just eat their oatmeal instead. I switched to another brand of food, forgot the brand of it, but it was extremly fattening, and I believe it caused skin problems for my nakie Dax, during that time, someone here, I can't remember, lots of people suggested to me though lol, that oxbow as much better for my boys. So I had to buy this specifc food from a pet website since oxbow is not sold here in my local pet stores. I get it, my boys love it, and are eating it well, no skin issues or weight gaining at all so far and they've been on it for about a month. Not sure if its cause they get alot of play time or maybe this diet just works for them. But its oxbow and oatmeal they get, with occassional treats, and none are fat lol

I think some rats just like all other animals and people gain and keep weight on very easily....and yes not having a large free range area does not help.....keeping a group of animals together in a cage is always tricky with weight gain and loss...you don't want the greedy ones to gobble up all the food and the others to go with not enough.....
I hope Solomon and all your other rats...get better soon. They are all VERY lucky to have you...

Good quality lab blocks are: Oxbow Regal Rat, Harlan Tech 2014, and Hagen/Living World hamster extrusian blocks.

Oxbow Regal Rat is one of the top 2 blocks (if not the best).
My middle aged and senior ratties are less active and thus started gaining weight on the oxbow as it has more calories then the harlan which they were used to. They may have also been eating too much as they loooove the oxbow.

Thanks Dahlas.
I will do my best to keep weight loss a major focus for everyone.
I really miss being able to have an entire living room as a free range area for rats

I started Solomon on heart meds yesterday and his condition improved significantly, although he is still in bad shape.

Solomon and Petite Grisse had xrays at the vet today.
Petite Grisse's heart looks ok .... but she was extremely upset and very very angry when she was returned to me.
Some cuddling quickly had her feeling much better.

Solomon's heart is very enlarged, so he has conjestive heart failure .... I am very glad I started heart meds yesterday.
I added atenolol and I will be adding digoxin in a few hours once the drug store gets it made up.

Solomon has a recheck scheduled for Monday to see if he is doing ok or if it is time for him to be pts.
All ratties enjoyed their treat of field greens earlier today.

Solomon is not doing as well as I had hoped ..... and his front paws are clubbing (pt?). Going to give him some sub-Q fluids and continue to hope for the best. He will not eat the meds and fights being syringe fed them, but he does enjoy the treat of field greens after the ordeal is over. He also enjoys it when I groom him with a warm wet cloth.

Tommy is now making loud breathing noises so he will be joining his siblings on baytril. :(
Petra, Matthew, Moses, Christmas and the baby boy are all sounding normal now ... no more wheezing or loud breathing noises. They will be on antibiotics for a few more weeks.
Petite Grisse is doing the same, at least her meds keep her stabalized at a level that gives her a good enough quality of life.
Easter and Storm are doing well ... still on pain meds and antibiotics. Storm has removed all of her stiches and Easter has one or two missing.

Godmother's rattie girls are all doing great. Stella continues to be the picture of health due to the bromo & pred & baytril she is taking for pt.

May06Solomoneatingbanana.jpg

Solomon eating a piece of banana

May06MollySolomonandAlberta.jpg

Molly, Solomon, and Alberta

May06SolomonandPetiteGrisse.jpg

Petite Grisse and Solomon

May06MollygroomingSolomon.jpg

Molly grooming Solomon

May06Solomongrooming.jpg

Solomon grooming

Solomon was diagnosed with chf last week. His heart is very enlarged and he is on heart meds, antibiotics, and a puffer.
I have given him sub-Q fluids twice this weekend.
Solomon makes horrible breathing sounds - some of the time.
He will not take his meds so I have to syringe them into him - very very stressful as he fights it
But he loves his banana, field greens, broccoli and mushy lab blocks.
He gets stressed and panics.
Solomon developed hed very fast less then 2 weeks ago and has very little mobility.

Solomon is obese as he doesn't exercise much and has been on a lot of meds sweetened with nesquik over a long period of time.
Solomon seemed happy out in the play area when the pictures were taken.

Sol has a vet apt tomorrow ... I think he will need to be pts ...
I am really really struggling with this :sad3:

He almost looks like a Zucker rat, and I believe they can end up with serious health issues. I am sorry to hear he is panicky and you are having trouble getting meds into him. Are you just topping up his fluids, or did he stop drinking?

Oh SQ, I'm so sorry... poor Solomon. His obesity can also be caused by the CHF. He's a beautiful boy and you've done so much for him already.

Poor little man...I wouldn't know what to do in your situation unlike what your doing. You seem to have a good handle on things despite, I hope he pulls through for you though SQ :(

lilspaz68 said:
He almost looks like a Zucker rat, and I believe they can end up with serious health issues. I am sorry to hear he is panicky and you are having trouble getting meds into him. Are you just topping up his fluids, or did he stop drinking?

Solomon is getting lasix 3xs/day, and has limited mobility .... he is in a cage with his 3 friends and I am not sure how much he is drinking.
I gave the sub-Q fluids as he was dehydrated (re back of the neck skin test)

I dread putting him to sleep but listening to him breath and fighting with him re meds, breaks my heart.
I just want whatever is best for Solomon, don't want his breathing to become an emergency, and want to make sure his quality if life is good enough.

Solomon, and the love of his life, Rachael (rip) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20789&hilit=Solomon&start=0
Btw, Solomon is a cuddly, loving boy who, once socialized, has been my snuggle bug :heart: :heart:

Back