Worried About Tilley's Eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzle87

Tilley was recently diagnosed with cataracts by my vet. She did an eye pressure test, it was normal, looked at it and it was just a white dot on her pupil, etc. Well, now, the eye with the cataract has a bit of porphyrin on it and the eyelid looks a little puffy. She also has been squinting a bit. This is my first time dealing with cataracts but I'm pretty sure something else is going on too. I looked closely and don't see any scratches or anything on her eye.

Pics:

oct19021.jpg

I didn't want to show this next one, because it makes her look crazy, haha! She has maloccluded teeth and was trying to brux at me, even just trimmed her jaw alignment is off :(. Sometimes I wish I had had her teeth removed when this started like a year ago..

oct19022.jpg

Oh, and she's being seen Friday about this and to get her teeth trimmed.

Omygoodness... That last pic is adorable, love that look.
It looks like she's got a leaky eye. I'm sure it's not due to the cataract. Can you put polysporin eye drops in her eye, twice a day for about a week. It might help clear up whatever shes going through. Could be something as simple as a plugged duct.

Haha, yeah, it cracked me up when I uploaded the pics onto my computer and saw that!

Thank you, I really hope that's all it is. I think I actually already have polysporin, I'll go check and see if it is still good.

She doesn't seem to rub at it, but she either keeps that eye mostly closed, or blinks it way too frequently :(. She is very clumsy so an injury wouldn't surprise me.

Dazzle87 said:
Nope, no smell. This is weird, right? lol

That is good, no underlying infection, most likely a scratch then, it will take time to heal probably. I had better luck with eye ointment over drops, but either should help keep any infection at bay in the meantime.

You're good, lol. The vet "showed" me where her eye had been scratched (I honestly don't know what she showed me haha) and gave me some tobramycin. So hopefully it heals quickly!

Dazzle87 said:
You're good, lol. The vet "showed" me where her eye had been scratched (I honestly don't know what she showed me haha) and gave me some tobramycin. So hopefully it heals quickly!

Great news!!! You don't want to hear of glaucoma etc, a nice simple scratch should heal up just fine :thumbup:

Dazzle87 said:

Temple had the same thing. Had me super worried, His healed with those drops in a few days and his eye looks a lot better :)

Her eye is getting worse. The area around it is pretty inflamed, it looks like the eye itself might be swollen, and the eye is looking a bit dried out. I'm off to the vets in a half hour, I will update when I get back.

Thank you.

Well, this is why we see the vets lol. She said the eye is healing. She said it looks bigger because there is a lot of scar tissue built up, and the scar tissue is what is making the eye look so dry. She said it may take a while to heal because the cornea has a poor blood supply. So, I'm very happy to hear it is going well with her eye :joy: I guess they really do often look worse than they are. I'd normally post pics but my camera has died unfortunately :(.

Poor thing! I mean you for your camera dying :) and the rattie as well. I hate eye issues. I get paranoid every time i see a funny looking eye. I am glad it is healing.

Hahah, thanks for your condolences for my camera. It really does suck, I didn't realize how much I relied on it.

And yes they are scary! This is pretty much my first eye issue in any animal so I didn't know what to expect other than what I've been able to read about (but that never gives the whole story).

I had one, in my cat. I cried in the vets office because my dog bit him and he went blind in his eye LOL i am sure he thought I was nuts.

Aww poor kitty, I would have cried too. When it is happening to your animal it always feels like the end of the world. They know that :wink:

Back