Willow rushed to the vet this morning

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am PRAYING you are wrong on your concentration. :sad-p:

that it was a typo and it really was 50 mg/ml

And even if its 50 mg/ml, your vet is using the low end dosage of 5 mg/kg...most vets use 10 mg/ml as a matter of course now.

at 10 mg/kg, if your baytril is 50 mg/ml, she should be getting .07 cc twice a day

at 10 mg/kg, if your baytril IS 5 mg/ml, she should be getting .7 cc twice a day!

No matter what your girl is being underdosed.

We give 10mg/454.4 g of baytril, twice a day - although some others don't give as much ...

If you were giving 10 mg/454.4g then she would need to be getting 8.1 mg of baytril twice a day. (That would be 1.6 ml of baytril at 5mg/ml strength, twice a day)
If you were giving 2.5 to 5mg/454.4g (RCMA chart) then she would be getting 2 mg to 4 mg of baytril twice a day. (0.8 ml would be 4 mg of baytril at 5mg/ml strength, twice a day)

At 0.04 ml of baytril that is 5mg/ml, she is only getting 0.2 mg of baytril twice a day.
That is an extremely small dose.
If you were giving her 0.4 ml of baytril (5mg/ml strength) then she would be getting 2mg of baytril twice a day, which is a very low dose.

She is being way underdosed.
Please talk to the vet immediately.

nope not a typo...that's what they wrote on it in pen...why would she underdose her? So she should be getting .7 twice a day then? Weird that she would make that kind of mistake. She's been highly recommend by one of our friends that used to have ratties.

I know Dunnet checked Zumi and Yuki this week-end (Saturday) and she said Zumi was doing better but still medium Myco and Yuki has a very mild Myco. Zumi weights 326.01925 grams, Yuki 283.495. They both get 2mls 0.3 twice a day.

Edit : Maybe I have the wrong weights though.. I think she said 11.5 once for Zumi and 10 for Yuki... But not sure.. Plus I converted it to gram on the net. I know Yuki and Zumi are big for females but Yuki is rather light, Zumi is heavy. Dunnet though Zumi was a male when she first saw her, before she really inspected her I mean. At first glance, she does look like a male.

2nd Edit : Not trying to switch the subject towards my rats, just trying to help see what's going on XD

.3 twice a day...I'll work backwards.

yep 5 mg/kg...for the girl who weighs 326 grams is .33 cc

so .05 for a rat that weights more? Call them and make sure its not supposed to be .5 cc's instead.

tell them you are very confused. one girl weighing less gets almost 10 x more...
see what they say, and report back :cheeky:

BUT underdosing is a very dangerous thing!

Yeah but for thw weights, I'm not sure at all. I have a bad memory. :wallbang:

But I know the adult male of my boyfriend weights about the same as Zumi. Yuki is obviously alot lighter.

I didn't see this before I dropped the girls off to the vet. I called and she's going to ask Dr.Gallon for me about the dosage. lol I was like umm the people at the rat shack want me to ask about this to figure it out 'cuase they think she needs a higher dose lol So we'll see what she has to say. I haven't even met the women yet, she's a busy lady.

I just skimmed the replies, so please forgive me if I look like an idiot. But it appears that Lindsay says the concentration is 5 mg/ml. If Willow's dose is .33, then that would be a 5mg/kg dose. This is what our vet would recommend as a starting dose of Baytril.

With more and more rat owners educating themselves, and more and more exotic vets coming on board, we are now in a position to have many different opinions. With that said, I don't want to disagree with anyone....I'll just give my two cents on how we do things based on our vets recommendation.

We always start at a 5mg/kg dose. With doxy, that never goes up. With Batyril, it gives you room to increase, should you not get the results you need in a specific amount of time. I have rarely had to go higher than a 10mg/kg dose over a the course of a rats life. My belief (and our vet's as well) is if you hit them with the higher doses right off the bat, you don't have much more wiggle room in the future, if they relapse.

I also would like to throw in my comments about chronic respiratory/congestion that could very well be the result of a heart condition instead (as well as respiratory problems resulting in heart issues). It is EXTREMELY hard, for even a very experienced exotic vet, to detect heart irregularities in rats. You have to have a very intuned ear because their hearts be so fast. Over the years I've had many rats on antiobiotics that never really seemed to clear up those wet sounds and congestion, no matter what the dose. Our vet Dr. S (who joined our clinic 2 years ago) has a super intuned ear. Heart issues in rats are VERY common and often go undetected. You can throw all the abs you want at it, thinking it's a respiratory problem. :sad3:

I might recommend, that if you don't see in improvement in Willow's condtion, that you have your vet consider trying a short course of Lasix. This can help pull that extra fluid off her lungs and around her heart. The heavy breathing is also a sign of heart issues (as well as respiratory). Enalapril is a very effective heart med. We actually have 7 rats on lasxi and enalapril right now, and they are doing great. 2 of them are now 32 months old!

Something else that really helps in both the respiratory and heart cases, is daily nebulizer treatments. Many are not in a position to get the set up. But we bought ours 7 years ago and it's more than paid for itself. We use a combo of Saline, Acetylsistein (breaks up the mucus) Aminopholline (brochialdialator) and Gentamicin (ab).

Hope that helps some.

So Leslie asked the vet for me about the meds and she said because of the concentration of the baytril .04 is the right amount because it's more then enough for her with how much she weighs and so on. I can tell Willow is feeling better, her sides arent' going in as much as yesterday and she actually came out in the playroom to great me.
So we'll just keep a close eye on her.

Thanks for all your concern and help everyone!

Edit: We were posting at the same time I think Velma lol That helps a lot knowing all this info! I think we'll watch Willow for a few days and if she's still kinda ify we'll have to ask for some more meds.

Willow seems to be doing a little better, her breathing doesn't seem as rushed and and quick so that's a good sign. Her furr is still a bit puffy now and then and she's a little slower then she was before. Poor girl sure has had a rough go. I'm sure she'll feel better too now with the revolution treatment. Keeping a close eye on her for sure.

Back