Willow rushed to the vet this morning

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

I had to rush Willow to the vet this morning. Last night we noticed she was breathing a little hard. She's been quite congested lately and we've been giving her baeytril but I don't think it has done much. This morning she was breathing extremely hard to the point where she is almost open mouth gasping.
I had to drop her off because Dr.Gallon was doing surgeries so she's going to look at her when she gets out of her current surgery...I hope they call soon....I have a feeling it won't be a great outcome. She's lost so much weight, she wouldn't even eat anything yesterday. Poor girl sure has a hard run at life, she's had so many different complications since the day I got her....just have to wait and see I guess... :(

Awww poor willow. You might want to consider adding doxy to the baytril and possibly a steroid to open up the lungs.

I hope she's okay and gets to come home to you. :sad3:

I called the vets and the receptionist said Dr.Gallon got to look at her and she has a bad respiratory infection. She's going to put her on some meds and we'll see if that will work for her. I have to pick her up in 2hrs. I hope the meds work

Awwwwwww hope it works out for Willow. :sad3:

Huh, question, but, you rushed her to the vet... Does that mean you can drop a rat anytime at that vet when it's urgent and they'll take a look at them when they can? Just wanna know cuz I'm moving to Moncton in late june early july and I know they have an emergency system in place. Sorry if I'm a bother and out of the subject. ^^''

Poor Willow, I hope she feels better, perhaps they gave her oxygen too.
Many times Baytril is just not enough and something else must be given... you try adding doxy and if that doesn't work then you add Zithro, if that still doesn't work, try dex/prednisone along with an abs.

Darkblade, many of use develop such a good rapport with our vets that it becomes our second home and our rats are allowed to be dropped off and seen by the vet without the costly emergency fee.

Huh, question, but, you rushed her to the vet... Does that mean you can drop a rat anytime at that vet when it's urgent and they'll take a look at them when they can? Just wanna know cuz I'm moving to Moncton in late june early july and I know they have an emergency system in place. Sorry if I'm a bother and out of the subject. ^^''

We can drop our ratties off with no extra charge. Probably 'cause we go there A LOT. They even let me bring in Griffin the night before his neuter 'cause I couldn't bring him in the morning. Was so nice of them.

Willow seems to be doing ok, she's moving around but still breathing kinda hard. They gave her some oxygene. Dr. Gallon has her on .04 of Baytril twice a day for 14 days. She has an upper respiratory infection. She's hoping that the high dose of baytril will work for her. She said we should notice a difference in about 3 days. If not then call her.
I got the instructions from the vet tech 'cause Dr.Gallon was doing surgies all day so she was able to see Willow in between the surgeries. So that was really nice she was able to do that for us!

We'll be back there tomorrow to bring Alice in for her tumor removal so I might finally get to meet her then and ask her some more questions if Willow should be on any other meds. But if she feels she should be on just baytril maybe it's good for now? I've heard great things about this women.

If a rat has an attack like that, I attack with a combo of meds not just up a med she was already one. But you can wait the 3 days watching your wee girl for a relapse carefully.

Lemme double check the dosages first.

.04 cc twice a day.

What is the concentration of the baytril and an approx. weight of your girl?

Back