Will this cage work???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattieRyan

So my brother brought me these two cages. The would work perfect except everything is wire! Including the bottom and the shelves! So how can I tweak it? I can't cut out the wire bottom or the will be able to escape and the cage wouldn't be stable :/. Need to figure this out cause the babies will be 5 weeks this Sunday!! Ahh. Lol

23D23AAD-F463-4FC7-8B29-DEB03149A2C3-5450-0000036065252DFF.jpg

Is there a way to place those plastic pans inside of the cage, ontop of the wire cage floor?

If not the first cage I had for my 8wk old girls had wire shelves and I placed liners on them. Towels folded up, then moved on up to cage liners untl I could get a different cage.

You can have plexiglass cut to size to fit over all the wire floors. For shelves, you can ask they drill a few holes around the edges and attach them with zip ties so no one goes surfing.

If it's wire, the rats may pull up the fleece or rip it and they could get seriously injured. Martin's cages wouldn't be as big a deal because they have small grids, you're putting the fleece down to pad the floor as much as to prevent legs getting caught but most cages with wire floors have much bigger spaces in between the wires and they really need to be covered securely.

Other ideas for covering wire floors are stick on lino tiles and coroplast, attached in the same way I described for the plexiglass.

Oh mine is really tight nit grid wiring i put the fleece because I thought it would give some resistance to bumble foot later

Would the 44 dollar cage at the top be ok for two rats? I like the second one because it is bigger but I need two and can't afford it at this time :(

2E1212C4-FA03-457D-A421-DF4E91EAA1C8-5696-00000394307CE8A7.jpg

As a temporary cage .... but the bases are really much too small.
You want a powder coated cage with a base of at laest 30 inches by 18 inches and height.

I have covered small wire floors/shelves with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on.

You could try purchasing some coroplast, and cut it down to to the cage bottom size, and then put fleece over that, as a temp fix at least.

Or what if I covered the grate with this stuff? It's rubbery and I believed used to line shelves or drawers. I would put shredded paper on top of it.

861A1361-270F-40E6-95D5-112F8DFEEF63-5852-000003B29AE32899.jpg

They will chew that stuff really quickly. I also suggest coroplast... it's not too expensive for a large sheet and it is easy to cut into the right size. You simply need to ziptie it. It's also waterproof, so cleaning it is a breeze. It makes nice shelves and flooring.

mia9_28 said:
They will chew that stuff really quickly. I also suggest coroplast... it's not too expensive for a large sheet and it is easy to cut into the right size. You simply need to ziptie it. It's also waterproof, so cleaning it is a breeze. It makes nice shelves and flooring.

I agree with this. Those cages that you currently have look good (I dont know the measurements though or how many rats you want to put into them). Just find a way to fix the grids. Coroplast would work perfectly and you can cover it with fleece.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/white-c ... nch/924854

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/white-c ... nch/924855

Ya I use coroplast to block areas where I don't want my ratties to venture so they can secretly chew something up :giggle: but you can cut it like I said to fit in the base of the cage. You can then put fleece on it, and fleece is very absorbing, and since coroplast is water proof, clean up should be a breeze. I'm assuming if you want to block the bottom and shelves with fleece, you're gonna litter train?

As far as litter training I don't really know how to do it. Lol. There will be two rats in each cage. Where do u get this coroplast stuff from?

I got mine off ebay personally lol, a whole 100 sheets of it!

As for litter training well I learned that off youtube lol. Basically you encourage your ratties to use the litter box by moving their droppings constantly into the litter box, maybe cut up some fabric they urninated on and also move it into the litter box, make sure the boxes are located in places where they appear to go potty the most. For my pack it was mostly in the corners. My girls still haven't gotten it yet, they just go everywhere lol

RattieRyan said:
As far as litter training I don't really know how to do it. Lol. There will be two rats in each cage. Where do u get this coroplast stuff from?

Just keep putting their poopies in the litter box and they will quickly get the point!
You can get it at home improvement stores such as Home Depot, at sign stores (they are meant for making signs) or online, but I believe shipping is expensive. Ask around at the home supply stores in your city and you may get lucky!

You could also use stick down tiles on the wire. They can be cut to size and are pretty durable.

I've moved this thread into the habitat section :)

Back