Why is my ratties nose bleeding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple

I have a rat who is a really bad sneezer and now her nose is bleeding. Does anyone have any idea why. Please don't tell me to bring her to an emergency vet as they don't deal with exotic pets and will just put her down. Is this something that can wait till Monday??? Oh gawd please help.

Any chance it could be porphrin?

Is her nose still bleeding?
ice or corn starch may help slow or stop bleeding .... don't know how well they work on the nose.
She might have scratched the inside of her nose ...

I went in the rat room at 1:30 and found blood shed. If was everywhere, on all the other ratties, the wall, handing ball, litter pan on the floor. everywhere. I cleaned her up but you can see it is coming from inside her nose. It almost sounds like she is going to drown then she sneezes and its everywhere. My son has had to change his clothes twice already. Just got a call from my vet. She thinks she broke a blood vessel in her nose.

My mom's rat had that... the bleeding eventually stopped. Do you think you could try to apply some pressure on the top of the nose? Make sure you don't plug the nose though.

I am in chat with Maple, after some discussion, it seems it was likely a nick inside the nose with all those bountiful capillaries...its stopped bleeding and she's eaten :)

Thanks everyone, after 4 hours of blood I am totally drained. Don't know what it was but I hope it NEVER happens again. My beautiful little Gaddy, I just love her to death :heart: . Now if I could just stop crying. :(

Sorry Dee but this was NOT Poryphin, it was blood and it dripped from her nose for a very long scary time.

Now that things are totally undercontrol, you can see her nose is just spotting.

I'll put my precious little girl back with her family when she's not so busy. Poor thing is totally drained.

I can't thank everyone enough, its so nice to have support when you don't know whats happening. :heart:

:hugs: Glad to hear she's doing better. It's hard to believe that so much blood can come from something so tiny...and from something tiny on something so tiny like a nose. Clooney cut the inside of his mouth once and bled more than I thought possible...I was so scared! It sounds like she probably broke a vessel maybe from sneezing in the first place...and then the blood caused her to sneeze more. Poor thing.

Well Gaddy decided to do it again. I'm not sure about this "nick in the nose" thing but I really hope that is what it is. Thank goodness round 2 only lasted for half an hour. Mamarat can you give me alittle more detail about your experience with nose bleeds. (how many, how long, male, female age etc) and do you know what caused them. I have never seen this volume of blood before, it literally drips from her nose like a humans would and then she has to have a long sleep. If I wake up to this mess again tomorrow, I'm going to take pictures before I clean it. I hope she will be OK, she is such a happy, friendly little thing. :heart:

Bless your heart...I wouldn't know what to do and would probably hit the floor if I walked in and one of my babies was sitting amidst a bloody scene like those pictures. I'm sending up some prayers and healing vibes your way. :hugs:

pshuga03 said:
Bless your heart...I wouldn't know what to do and would probably hit the floor if I walked in and one of my babies was sitting amidst a bloody scene like those pictures. I'm sending up some prayers and healing vibes your way. :hugs:
Thank you....and the blood spots in the pictures were small sneezes AFTER all the major bleeding stopped. She is the only one sleeping now, not a good sign as she should be playing with the rest of the family. I hope she feels better when I get up. fingers crossed. Going to bed now, pooped beyond belief, just hope I can sleep :gaah: Sleep tight Gaddy and I hope for a better tomorrow. :heart:

Back