When rats outlive tumours *GRAPHIC PIC*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
My sweet Vincent developed a tumour when he was around 30 months old. Before that, at about 29 months old, he had rear end degeneration and lost the complete use of his two back legs. But that didn't stop him, he could motor around better than his cage mates. He then loss the better part of his sight, his pink eyes became cloudy. I thought it was cataracts but it's not, just part of aging, so when the tumour popped out I thought for sure Vincent would not out live the tumour. At the time Vincent was also on meds for a pretty bad URI. Time went on and Vincent kept living and making the best of his days despite having a huge tumour grow on him. Meanwhile, I started to feel guilty and struggling with the idea of having the tumour removed. Finally, at 37 months old, I've managed to save a few dollars and I chose to have the tumour removed. The tumour was so large, it was totally sucking the joy out of Vincent's life. It was at the point where I thought, if he died on the table, then better for him.
My vet checked him out, told me his lungs were clear enough for an op and it felt like the tumour was not really attached.
Today at noon Vincent was put under, had a huge piece of him removed and recovered quite well. He's still not in the clear, his blood pressure is the concern because his heart is used to pumping massive amounts of blood to the tumour and now that it's gone, it has to regulate itself. It's going to be critical for the next 48 to 72 hours.
I felt tremendous guilt having Vincent live 7 months with a tumour. I want him to have the end of his life tumour free.
The tumour was 296 grams and Vincent now weighs 372 grams. So that tumour was almost half his body weight. It was a benign mammary tumour.
Here is Vincent with his tumour:

Vincenttumour.jpg

And Vincent now:

vincentnotumours2.jpg

vincentnotumour.jpg

Vincent seems pretty happy, eating and keeping warm. But will be praying very hard that he makes it past these next few days.

Oh Jo how awful....I hope Vincent makes it. It is so hard sometimes to know what the right decision is.......I know you love all your ratties and that you make the best decision for each of them...They are so lucky to have you.
Give sweet Vincent a kiss from me.....

That really was one BIG tumour, how hard for both of you to deal with.

*sends all the healing thoughts I can muster*

I feel good healing vibes coming Vincent and your way JOanne. He has been though alot and now he will be awarded to live a better life than yesterday with the tumor. I know you will keep us posted. Give him a well deserved hug and kiss for us.

Ann

Awwww sweet boy! That must've been hard for you and he to live with.

You are soo brave to have done this for him. :thumbup:

I wish I could do this for Saffi as well, even though hers isn't as big. :sad-p:

Lots of healing vibes coming from me and my crew too! :hugs:

I just checked on him and he's doing pretty good. He's been eating like a little piggie all night and then grooming himself.
I'm so hoping he makes it past this hurdle and will live at least one month happy and tumourless. :joy:

I just checked on him, he's awake and moving about. He loved his baby cereal this morning. I'll be taking a pic of his huge incision.

WOW that thing is HUGE. Jo, I would have done the same thing in thinking if he passed on the operating table it just would have been the best for him. BUT thankgoodness he made it through. Tough old guy hang in there Vincent and Jo. Lots of hugs and kisses.

Is he really happy trying to groom the places the tumour stopped him from getting to? Freya did that, she was sooo happy just grooming again :D

he looks good! Scary incision but his eyes are bright.

You go little Soldier!!

Wow! I am so very glad that he is doing ok.
I had the same struggle with Mickey, and he was around the same age and in pretty much the same condition as Vincent. It is so very tough when they are that advanced and not well, I remember struggling so much with whether I was going to get it removed. In the end, Mickey passed away before it started to really impede him.
I am wishing him the best for his recovery.

He hasn't tried to reach down to groom himself. But he's motoring so well without it now. He had lots of upper body strength from having to crawl around with that huge mass so now when he moves, I guess he forgets that the mass isn't there and goes too fast.
He's doing good tonight, he's on metacam twice a day still. He will have another full day/night alone and then I'm going to put him with his buddies. (bro Pascal also 37m, Mielle 37m and Archie 25m)

Back