What would you do if you didnt have Harlan or Oxbow?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok...sounds good. I think I did find a supplier of Oxbow and I think I will buy the 40lb box. If there is some left by the end of the year and a half, should I put it out for the squirrels and chipmuncks? :D And one more question, who is that some rats decide that they dont like oxbow and go on hunger strikes? Why isnt it the same with Harlan or another kind of food? Why is Oxbow and only usually Oxbow? I would think that they would love it because of the appple taste..which sounds good to me. Any explanation to this weird (and annoying) situation? lol...the things we do for our ratties. :heart: :hug4:

Oh, I dont agree feeding dog food or chinchilla food by itself...it would have to be with another rat food like Harlan or Oxbow. But I do give them each one peice of dog food everyday as a treat as they love the turkey flavour...yummm.

I think it's because of the apple flavour. Silly rats. But I know if mine only at Oxbow, they would eat it, they just wouldn't gorge themselves on it.
I've never ever had a rat (over 200) ever go on a hunger strike. I can't see them not eating to survive, it's a natural instinct. They would certainly lose weight because they would no longer be living to eat, rather eating to live. But that doesn't mean it's an unhealthy weight loss. I had a girl she barely weighed 250 all her life. She just didn't want to eat, not even Ensure or baby cereal. She became skin and bones as she got older but... she did live to 38 months. :thumbup:

Well that just makes me feel bad..lol. I know oxbow is one of the most healthiest diets and I would really love to feed it but I kinda feel bad that if they dont like it, they have to eat it. Would I be a mean Mommy if I made they eat it? I dont think I have any other choice, really. Other than Oxbow it would be Suebess or some other kind of food from the petstore which is out of the question. Yeesh...*crosses arms*

If you couldn't get your hands on HT, then I would give a mix of Oxbow and Extrusion. Don't fill up the bowl until it was all completely eaten.
Then there are those rats that absolutely adore Oxbow, my NB rats will only eat the Oxbow.

When I first had rats, many moons ago, there were no lab bloack to be found in this city and no one wanted to order them in for me, so I fed my rats Debbie Ducommum's diet. Actually, Ducommun's book "Rat: Practical, Accurate Advice from Expert" was a life saver when I first had books!

Luckily, the Barking Lot in Fredericton will order Oxbow.

Ok but I dont know if i would want to feed anything else but Oxbow because then it would last me longer (the 40lb box) which means I'm just waisting more. Yeesh...Why cant they sell and in - between size, not a tiny 3lb and wopping 40lb. Oh well..I guess I will just show a little tough love and and say to them.."this stuff is good for you and your gonna eat it and thats final"!! lol.

Oh, and Jo, what are NB rats?

Ratlover101 said:
so itll be good for about 2 years frozen? or less?

Harlan will last from the milling date (which can be found on the bag)
3 months for an open bag
6 months left out
1 year frozen

I put mine in large ziploc bags and freeze it.

jorats said:
Linda, do you still feed that diet?

No, I now feed my rats Oxbow and Harlan with veggies and fruits. I used Debbie's diet about 10 years ago when I first had rats and there was no rat blocks to be found in this province.

I think it's on Oxbow's website. I am in the same boat as you but thankfully I have the LabDiet which the boys adore unfortunately it's 20% protein but it's only temp. till the Oxbow comes in. Oxbow seems to be on b/o from every supplier...

Apparently they are for next year (2009) also they are revamping the website for the first of November. Alot of pet food companies don't say they are changing their foods until the last moment, take Canidae dog food they just came out with three new formula and didn't tell a soul (but I'm sure they were rumours) but then look at Petcurean they having a press release on their website saying they are releasing two new lines of dog food come the first quarter of 2009.

I hope to be in Animal Nutrition one day and work for the good companies...

Back