What would you do if you didnt have Harlan or Oxbow?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I nomally feed any rat block where corn is like the 3rd ingredient and also where the protien is below %18. Mazuri it pretty good, I think petsmart sells it.

Suebee herself created the mix because of a dearth of lab blocks in her area. She actually recommendeds quality lab blocks if you can get them over her mix. You must follow the ingredients very closely to get the optimal nutrition and watch for the optionals like dried fruit.

Since I cannot get Harlan now, and have never tried Oxbow due to the expense, I am stuck with Mazuri 6F. Its 16% protein and comes in 50 lb bags.

Btw the mazuri you get in those teeny bags at PetSmart are actually the 5663 formulation and are 23% protein. Still better than Kaytee, Sunseed, etc...but just so you are aware.

At one time, I fed my rats the Nutriblocks with is now the Extrusion for Hamsters. It's 16% protein and a lower fat too. If there was a time where I couldn't feed Harlan, I would feed that again.

Well, I bought a small bag of that one time and it smelled REALLY bad. I dont know if it was just me. The expiary (sp?) date was about a year from then. It didnt smell like Harlan at all. What do you think?

It must have been your bag cause I went out and bought one to see and it did not have a bad smell at all. Try it again, if again you find it's very bad smelling then you might want to go with something else.

A good quality dog food might be a good bet too. I like Natural Balance vegetarian formula. You cant free feed though. I fed mine only enough to last thm the day and they did very well.

Mine are currently out of Oxbow so they get chinchilla food mixed with dog food or LabDiet. It's been weeks without Oxbow and we're getting antsy.

Edit: and we're running out of the dog food/chin food mix. :shock:

Back