What is Ri doing this for?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What vet did you go to?

I'm sorry, but I am still convinced that it could be PT, and in that case the clock is ticking in terms of getting your baby proper treatment.

I originally went to my usual vet, but I wasn't impressed with him because all he did was listen to her heart and felt her abdomen and said she was fine. We then went to a larger main vet which is actually closer to us, and they actually listened to all the symptoms, and then felt her abdomen, listened to her heart, felt how her legs moved, observed her walking around, and then weighed her. They said because they don't have a scope small enough to check her ears, we can't be sure, but she seemed pretty confident that it was an ear infection. I have Baytril and Metacam to give her twice a day.

Hi, if the video is that short you can send it to [email protected] and I can upload it for you. :)

A Pituitary Tumor is a tumor on the pituitary gland, which is under the brain. It is not in any way visible on or outside the rat, only it's symptoms are, which include weight loss, lack of coordination, sometimes excessive bruxing or chewing, "clubbing" of the paws, difficulty holding small objects or foods in the front paws, head tilts, lack of balance, or uncoordinated walking. It can come out of nowhere, and it, unfortunately, fatal. The only thing that can be done is treatment to minmize the symptoms, and slow the growth of the tumor. It is unfortunately very common in rats, escpecially females, therefore whenever we hear of symptoms such as Ri's, we instantly jump to this horrible condition.

Hi, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't seem to be able to email videos to people, only photos

Hi, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't seem to be able to email videos to people, only photos
How about you take a series of photos of her eating a cheerio on a flat surface?
Take a couple, where we can see her hands, face, position, legs, body shape, etc.

How about you take a series of photos of her eating a cheerio on a flat surface?
Take a couple, where we can see her hands, face, position, legs, body shape, etc.

I screenshotted some from the video. I shall email them to you now

Here's the little cutie!
What a pretty rat, love the coloring.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

Last edited:
I see PT not inner ear infection for Ri. :(

This pic, the stance, the big confused eyes, how she is taking the treat

unnamed7-1.jpg~original

It doesn't look like she's able to hold the treat, and is chasing it down her chest and under her belly. I bet she also turns to the left while eating as well? See how her feet are pushed soooo far forward for balance? This is another PT symptom.

unnamed4.jpg~original

I see PT not inner ear infection for Ri. :(

This pic, the stance, the big confused eyes, how she is taking the treat

unnamed7-1.jpg~original

It doesn't look like she's able to hold the treat, and is chasing it down her chest and under her belly. I bet she also turns to the left while eating as well? See how her feet are pushed soooo far forward for balance? This is another PT symptom.

unnamed4.jpg~original

I was afraid of this being your answer :/ I'll take her back to the vet soon if she doesn't get better. Do you suggest to do anything else?

When you are at the vet, ask for prednisolone, and EITHER bromocriptine or cabergoline. It is unlikely that they will have the cab or bromo in the office, but both can be ordered. Bromocriptine can even be called in at a normal, human pharmacy-- I get mine at a local CVS for $45 per 20 tablets, which last me a little over a month. It is much cheaper than cabergoline, escpecially if you compound it yourself(as simple as crushing the tablet, mixing it with a bit of water or other liquid, and giving your rat half-- as long as it is the 2.5mg tablet).

I think I'd treat for PT. What got me was the wide stance of the back feet; I've seen this in some of mine. I've had rats with ear infections where they usually roll, but when rats sit with wide 'kangaroo legs' like that...it was PT. I'm so sorry if this is the case. I'd be asking the vet for some prednisone, maybe dex first, then going to pred afterwards, and some bromo, and just getting whatever quality time you can with her.

I just saw your post for Cabergoline; fingers crossed this helps your little one. Did they give you any pred or dex as well? My heart and prayers go out to your little one for a good and lengthy response to the meds.

I just saw your post for Cabergoline; fingers crossed this helps your little one. Did they give you any pred or dex as well? My heart and prayers go out to your little one for a good and lengthy response to the meds.

Carol, it was Joanne who got the cabergoline, not Rita, she's only gotten a diagnosis of inner ear infection so far from her vet.

When you are at the vet, ask for prednisolone, and EITHER bromocriptine or cabergoline. It is unlikely that they will have the cab or bromo in the office, but both can be ordered. Bromocriptine can even be called in at a normal, human pharmacy-- I get mine at a local CVS for $45 per 20 tablets, which last me a little over a month. It is much cheaper than cabergoline, escpecially if you compound it yourself(as simple as crushing the tablet, mixing it with a bit of water or other liquid, and giving your rat half-- as long as it is the 2.5mg tablet).

I cannot treat her for PT until my mum and my vet agree that it is in fact PT. My mum is against the idea, and my vet thinks it's an ear infection

Show your mum this topic and show her the symptoms of PT, and it may help her see that this is what your rat is suffering from.
I am very sorry and I hope you get to start the treatment ASAP!

Back