What is Ri doing this for?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RitaRocks

Just recently I have noticed that when Ri goes to her food bowl, she'll be holding food then fumble and drop it, before sort of dozing off in her bowl. Her eyes will half close and she'll half fall, before catching herself. Is there a reason why she's doing this? Should i be worried? She's also not really wanting to come out of her cage. She usually hops right out but she just sits there looking at me now
EDIT: Also, when she's on my shoulder, she just slides off instead of adjusting herself like she usually does. And when I'm holding her, she will let her legs dangle off my hand

Last edited:
How old is Ri?

If she's somewhere around 16 months or more, offer her a small light treat like a cheerio and see if she sits up and eats it properly or if she's unable to grasp it well with her front paws.

This is called the Cheerio Test and we are testing for signs of PT.

This is Calla failing the PT test

http://lilspazrats.wikispaces.com/Health+Care-+Pituitary+Tumour+-+Failing+the+Cheerio+Test

You can also post a video of her walking around and eating, as this will help us determine if its possible PT or maybe inner ear infection.

How old is Ri?

If she's somewhere around 16 months or more, offer her a small light treat like a cheerio and see if she sits up and eats it properly or if she's unable to grasp it well with her front paws.

This is called the Cheerio Test and we are testing for signs of PT.

This is Calla failing the PT test

http://lilspazrats.wikispaces.com/Health+Care-+Pituitary+Tumour+-+Failing+the+Cheerio+Test

You can also post a video of her walking around and eating, as this will help us determine if its possible PT or maybe inner ear infection.

I tried the 'cheerio' test about a week ago, and she seems fine when she's out of the cage. The thing that worries me most is that she's not as lively as she was, she seems really subdued. Ri is 2 and a half years old now. I just tried the cheerio test again and she only dropped it twice, looked aroun and then picked it up with her mouth again.

I tried the 'cheerio' test about a week ago, and she seems fine when she's out of the cage. The thing that worries me most is that she's not as lively as she was, she seems really subdued. Ri is 2 and a half years old now. I just tried the cheerio test again and she only dropped it twice, looked aroun and then picked it up with her mouth again.

Can you try for a video?

The best thing to do is upload the video to a hosting site like photobucket or youtube, then you can put the link here for us to see it.

I tried uploading it here, and it didn't work, and I made an account on photobucket and tried to upload it there and that didn't work either

Hi, if the video is that short you can send it to [email protected] and I can upload it for you. :)

A Pituitary Tumor is a tumor on the pituitary gland, which is under the brain. It is not in any way visible on or outside the rat, only it's symptoms are, which include weight loss, lack of coordination, sometimes excessive bruxing or chewing, "clubbing" of the paws, difficulty holding small objects or foods in the front paws, head tilts, lack of balance, or uncoordinated walking. It can come out of nowhere, and it, unfortunately, fatal. The only thing that can be done is treatment to minmize the symptoms, and slow the growth of the tumor. It is unfortunately very common in rats, escpecially females, therefore whenever we hear of symptoms such as Ri's, we instantly jump to this horrible condition.

Were you ever able to get a video?

I got 2 videos, one better than the other, because she's not really interested in food at the moment. Unfortunately, the better video somehow didn't save, so I have the not so good video which I'm about to email to someone who said they'd upload it for me.

I got 2 videos, one better than the other, because she's not really interested in food at the moment. Unfortunately, the better video somehow didn't save, so I have the not so good video which I'm about to email to someone who said they'd upload it for me.

She may appear not interested in food because she cannot eat it. You might have to start syringe feeding or try getting her to lick off your finger. You may have to start baby cereal mixed with ensure if she does in fact have PT.

Hi, if the video is that short you can send it to [email protected] and I can upload it for you. :)

A Pituitary Tumor is a tumor on the pituitary gland, which is under the brain. It is not in any way visible on or outside the rat, only it's symptoms are, which include weight loss, lack of coordination, sometimes excessive bruxing or chewing, "clubbing" of the paws, difficulty holding small objects or foods in the front paws, head tilts, lack of balance, or uncoordinated walking. It can come out of nowhere, and it, unfortunately, fatal. The only thing that can be done is treatment to minmize the symptoms, and slow the growth of the tumor. It is unfortunately very common in rats, escpecially females, therefore whenever we hear of symptoms such as Ri's, we instantly jump to this horrible condition.

I had Ri to the vet today, I just got back. They think it's an ear infection and have given me Baytril and Metacam. I can't send videos via email, so I don't know how to do it.

What vet did you go to?

I'm sorry, but I am still convinced that it could be PT, and in that case the clock is ticking in terms of getting your baby proper treatment.

Back