What Food Do You Feed?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Food Do You Use?

• Oxbow Regal Rat

• Combination

• Homemade Diet

• Shunamite Diet

• Harlan Teklad 2014

• Harlan 2016

• Harlan Teklad 2018

• Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F

• Living World Extrusion

• Rodent Diet by Cuisine

• Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Mouse and Rat

• SUPREME SCIENCE SELECTIVE RAT FOOD

• Burgess Supa Rat

• Pets at Home Rat Nuggets

• BEAPHAR CARE PLUS RAT

• Pro Lab

• Martins

Results are only viewable after voting.

Which Rat food do you feed your ratties? Do they like it?
Which ones have you tried and they never liked

Mine are on 3 kinds ..Martins, Oxbow Regal Rat & Living World Extrusion

They eat the Living World first, then the Martins then the Oxbow.

They are not fans of the Oxbow, but it has all the nutrition they need. So I don't refill their dish until they eat all of it.

I also give a varity of veggies everyday

My guys are currently on the Mazuri 6F... its all I can seem to get at the moment. Im looking into ordering in larger quanitites off the internet.

They eat approx 1 block each every 3-4 days.

So I have to feed an additional homemade mix, plus veg + fruit and suppliments/treats.

I feed harlan 2016, although its not on your list. I sometimes will also mix in Harlan 2018 (native earth) when pet food direct has free shipping.

Petsmart in Kelowna sells extrusion, I emailed a friend in kelowna and asked. She says Total Pet used to sell it but she doesn't go there anymore so isn't sure. Many vets can order in Oxbow products directly. For taste my rats seem to like the extrusion over Harlan or Oxbow. Never fed Mazuri its actually the hardest one for me to obtain for some reason

Mine eat mazuri breeder f6 they like it and they get free fed everyday new blocks go in and the day before is all gone.

i use to feed lab diet they also liked that one too but i had to sub it with veggies really good as protein was around 20%.

Harlan 2016. Which reminds me, I need to buy more!
I love it though, I bought it a long while ago, 15lbs and I only need to buy more now. :) My boys love it too, plus they get their veggies and fruits and treats.

ClownCarOnFire said:
I love it though, I bought it a long while ago, 15lbs and I only need to buy more now. :) My boys love it too, plus they get their veggies and fruits and treats.

How many do you have? and how long does 15 lbs last?
9 lbs of food lasts me 4 weeks ..nine ratties

Shunamite diet isn't on the list! I mix it myself, with my MASSIVE bag of Alpha Herbal Deluxe for rabbits, Burns Chicken and Brown Rice, Pasta, Ryvita, Rice Cakes and Shredded Wheat. Have to mix it every week but they love it ^^

Ratty Momma said:
ClownCarOnFire said:

How many do you have? and how long does 15 lbs last?
9 lbs of food lasts me 4 weeks ..nine ratties

I have two rats.
I bought my 15lbs last June. Around the 18th, and I still have enough while I wait for the next box to be delivered. It's not stale or moldy or bad at all, either. :happydance:

Harlans nutrients are only guaranteed for 6 months past the mill date, past that time it starts to lose its nutritional value unless frozen. I grabbed this off the harlan site

"There is no definitive point where one is able to predict when a specific diet will spoil or become deficient in one or more nutrients. However, based on various studies and longstanding standard industry practice, we have some general recommended guidelines. Storage of all of our standard natural ingredient diets at or below 70 degrees Fahrenheit with humidity at or below 50% will maintain the nutritional quality for 6 months (shelf-life). Increases in temperature and humidity above these values will hasten the degradation of various nutrients and increase the probability that the diet may not meet the nutritional requirements of the target animal. In addition, diets should be stored in a clean area free of pests with no exposure to direct light. Given these conditions all of our standard natural ingredient diets for laboratory animals can be fed through 6 months from the date of manufacture. Standard natural ingredient diets that are vacuum packaged and irradiated may be fed through 9 months after the date of manufacture. "

Ratty Momma said:
Wow!
I'm assuming you leave it in the freezer? I keep all mine there

It's not exactly frozen, but it's kept cool. :)
We're gonna keep this batch in the fridge downstairs when I get it though. =]
I'm gonna buy a container for it, too.
Trust me, my boys get their fair share of nutritional value, heh.

I feed Burgess at the minute but im changing to the Science Selective next week to see if the 2% protein loss will help my rats out any.

Argent said:
Shunamite diet isn't on the list! I mix it myself, with my MASSIVE bag of Alpha Herbal Deluxe for rabbits, Burns Chicken and Brown Rice, Pasta, Ryvita, Rice Cakes and Shredded Wheat. Have to mix it every week but they love it ^^

Don't you get a lot of left over waste feeding Shunamite? I have thought about feeding Shunamite before but i know that my rats selective feed and it drives me round the bend lol

I feed a mix of Oxbow and Harlan 2014.
I don't feed my rats any other mixes, grains or seeds which is why I believe my rats are happy with their blocks. They do get loads of fresh veggies every day.

oops - I checked Rodent Diet, but I also give Extrusion - so I should have checked "combination". These are the two my local Pet Valu carries, and it's within walking distance :thumbup: . Luckily, my guys love both. A variety of veggies daily, too.

I feed Harlan or Mazuri over here. I love Harlan, but when I can't get it, I get Mazuri.

Back