What do you do?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimber

Well, what do you do apart from loving your animals? Thought it would be interesting to see what type of careers/jobs people have here? Feel free to be a specific or vague as you wish :)

I work for VW supplying customer support to Canada. I'm the supervisor for the English division....usually about 40-60hrs per week depending on how many people are crying :p

Previously I have worked as a vet tech, horse trainer/riding instructor/racetrack groom and customer service positions. Would love to work with animals again, but my need for a health plan drives me into a desk job...le sigh.

Hehe, I've worked in libraries all my life! In middle and high school, I volunteered at the local public library. During my senior year in college, I worked at a special archives collection on campus. And when I graduated, they hired me on as a full-time employee!

My actual library duties these days are kinda all over the place since we're so short staffed. Officially I'm the Photoduplication Coordinator and Web Developer, but I also do reference both online and in person, coordinate and teach seminar classes, and many other things.

I'm currently dithering on getting a Library Science masters degree - if I want to move up the ladder, it absolutely necessary ... but its so darn expensive!

Currently, I'm a stay at home Mom :) I am hoping to go back to school, but need to move back home first so my mother can babysit. Childcare here would take a full paycheck lol I actually make more looking after my own kids. Joe works for a high end glass manufacturer, the current order they are doing is going to New York. I'm very proud of him.

I'm a translation student during the school year and a research assistant during the summer for ICRML. I am also an artist in my spare time and do the occasional portrait here and there. :)

I'm a Bail Bondsman and I jointly own a Precision Firearms Business with my husband.

here's our 2 businesses:
http://10-4bailbonds.webs.com/
http://www.g-trigg.webs.com/

Previously, I worked quite a bit in retails sales, worked for Bell Canada for a few years, got a degree in Industrial Management so I worked in that field for a few years as well.

Since I moved to the USA in 2005, I worked for local attorneys then in Systems/IT for large international company and moved on to work with the county appraiser, so a pretty diversified "career" through the years but nothing compares to owning your own business, we totally LOVE what we are doing right now :)

I work full time for a law office as a courier and copy technician. I spend half my day up to my elbows in machinery and toner, the other half high-tailing it around the downtown area on foot. It was never something I aspired to be, but for a 23 year old with no college degree (yet!) it's decent money and I enjoy it (ok, that's a small lie, it's crappy money and I threaten to quit at least once a week.) But I met Joe (the BF) through this job, and finding him has made it more than worth my while.

If and when I get back into school, it will be to pursue a biology degree. I'd love to eventually work in conservation biology, or wildlife rehab...or really anything dealing with the outdoors and wildlife and nature.

PS - this was a wonderful idea for a thread. It is so good to finally be learning a bit more about the people I see on this forum every day.

I work in IT at a large university and most days feel like I'm a translator. I'm part of the communications team and spent my time explaining to the communications people what the IT people are saying and then explaining to the IT people what the communications people are saying.

Sarah
http://bentorats.blogspot.com/

I manage a Doggie Daycare, and have mostly worked retail prior to that. Looking into doing online courses, though

Neat to see what everyone does...

Kimber, I didn't know you were a horse person!!!

I'm currently a student for Equine Body Work...it's alternative therapy for horses. :)
For income, I do petsitting & of course, my hammock biz...although that profit is more-so for Marco & Polo!

Ideally, I'm a scenic artist, although work has been a little slim.(Scenic Artist=Person who paints scenery for plays) I work overhires, I stage manage, carpentry, electrical, whatever theatre will hire me this week. Most recently, tearing down a production of Spamalot to put up Aida(the musical, not the opera). I also work as the Sexton at my church, waxing floors and moving furniture around. I sew and sell my liners, of course, which has gotten big enough that I suppose I can call it one of my jobs. I occasionally work for apartment maintenance and painting, for the complex we live in, and snow removal.

I'm in my final semester of law school; next year I'm articling at a securities litigation firm. I use to study neuroscience but left after finishing my MSc. No regrets whatsoever - law school has been crazy.

Ugh...cashier (hate it) but I'm trained counselor (mental health, suicide, abuse etc..) and also an artist (sketch,paint,sculpt, soon airbrush). And I'm a wife and mother.

I work full time as a behavior evaluator at an animal shelter. Basically, evaluating all the dogs and determining outcome: making adoption requirements, placement with rescue groups and yes, euthanasia (for animals that are aggressive/have severe bite history/uncontrollable dog-dog aggression/unsocial beyond help) . . . it's sad, but it's the reality of animal welfare and an open admissions shelter.

I also do kennel enrichment for all the animals, work with dogs that aren't quite ready for adoption (undersocialized, kennel stressed animals). Unfortunately, our intake has been so high lately, that there has been very little time for a lot of kennel enrichment. :sad3:

I tend to bring home animals to foster, as well. Though, I only have one foster rat right now. . . trying to take a break from having an extra dog in the house, it's hard on my own babies and I only have so much love to go 'round!

Ashley, your job is my dream job. I have always wanted to work at a shelter, but sadly the jobs just aren't around :( I am so jealous

I work part time at McDonalds (Ick) But I am currently in school for Graphic Design. One more year!!! I also work for my boyfriends day designing his website.

I'm a full time radio producer (I make commercials!) as well as a radio announcer.

Back