We're taking in an Alberta refugee

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littledevils

Somebody in Alberta was caught with a pet rat.... she landed at animal control and the province gave the shelter a few days to get the rat out of province or she'd be pts.

They contact us today...

A shelter worker will drive her to Cranbrook on Saturday from where we'll fly her to Vancouver and then into qt foster from there.

Her name is Lucy and she's a lucky little rattie!

She is very, very lucky ....
from what I have heard, they are usually killed in a very inhumane manner and are not sent to shelters, etc.
Looking forward to updates and pics

rat.charmer said:
Another reason why I won't be moving to Alberta any time soon.....
My brother is constantly trying to get me to move out there... well Ikeep explaining I can't because I'd lose my babies. He's always like "who cares, they are rats"... and I just explain that what if they asked him to get rid of Alex (his son), it's like that.

Get this - Lucy needs special permits to travel in Alberta :shock:

We got a special permit from the bylaw authorities and now we need to get a special permit from the province of Alberta. It's crazy!

On our side we are ready to go, flight is booked, volunteer is ready to pick her up at the airport and quarantine foster already has the cage set up. There's nothing else *we* can do, it's all up to the Alberta side now.

So hopefully if all goes well, Lucy will arrive in Vancouver at 4 pm on Saturday.

Phew, just got word:

"We are all set! I have final approval from the province and my permit to transport Lucy in Alberta will be in my hands by the end of the day!"

Meet Lucky Lucy:

LuckyLucy.JPG

littledevils said:
Get this - Lucy needs special permits to travel in Alberta :shock:

We got a special permit from the bylaw authorities and now we need to get a special permit from the province of Alberta. It's crazy!

On our side we are ready to go, flight is booked, volunteer is ready to pick her up at the airport and quarantine foster already has the cage set up. There's nothing else *we* can do, it's all up to the Alberta side now.

So hopefully if all goes well, Lucy will arrive in Vancouver at 4 pm on Saturday.

It's a pity they couldn't just ignore the laws given that it's assured that she's leaving the province, all this paperwork seems excessive. Are the no-rat laws in Alberta very strict?

Yay for Lucy! She's very beautiful.

Are the no-rat laws in Alberta very strict?

Yes, that's what I meant by obsessive. They have people patrolling the borders.

As for banning pet rats?? That is like banning pet cats to protect people from lions and tigers. :wallbang:

Lucy is such a pretty little rat. I'm so glad that you found a way to get her out of there.

One of the states in Australia (the one I'm living in :roll: ) has idiotic no-pet rabbit and no-ferret laws. Much of the time they turn a blind eye if you have either of these animals and there a many vets who will treat rabbits and ferrets. Some vets call rabbits "long eared guinea pigs", I'm not sure what they call ferrets. It's just ridiculous IMO, pet rabbits escaping into the wild won't cause a problem for farmers, they haven't in any of the other states where rabbits are legal; and who knows what the issue is with ferrets?

Dewi said:
It's a pity they couldn't just ignore the laws given that it's assured that she's leaving the province, all this paperwork seems excessive. Are the no-rat laws in Alberta very strict?

Yes, they are.
They usually just kill the rat(s).
From the little I know, it is highly unusual that this girl is being given a chance.

Lucy is safe and sound tonight after a long drive & flight!

The qt foster is says she's lovely!

She also has a forever home lined up with 2 other LMR girls and 1 LMR boy! :joy:

Back