well hiya!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jennifervb said:
Dude.... I need a bagel. :(

*hands virtual bagel*

I thought, while responses came on quite strongly, everyone was fairly open minded. But strong opinions are not for some, and for those who are supportive of breeding, no matter how open minded we try to be here, it's probably still an uncomfortable place to be in.

temblabamomo said:
jennifervb said:
Dude.... I need a bagel. :(

*hands virtual bagel*

I thought, while responses came on quite strongly, everyone was fairly open minded. But strong opinions are not for some, and for those who are supportive of breeding, no matter how open minded we try to be here, it's probably still an uncomfortable place to be in.

Thanks. Want half with some veggie cream cheese? :wink2:

From what I can tell, tati444 is not Jordan. Jordan's member profile is still up but tati's is gone. Or did I miss something?

You are right though. Strong opinions are not for some, but it appears in this case as if the person supportive of breeding is just as strongly opinionated as the rest of us.

Strong opinions are good, and I (and many others here) are always open to new ideas and new ways of thinking. I would welcome someone to give me one really good reason why ethical breeding is okay, and from reading this thread I've seen a few reasons that already changed my opinion of breeding. I still do no support breeding, but my formerly uber negative opinion has been changed to a much less negative one now.

I would never breed an animal of any kind, but that's just me.

All of my boys were rescues and no one was ever purchased from a pet store.

Nevertheless, people have different views and believe they can justify them with reasons they consider to be valid. Unfortunately, there are always two sides to every story and conflict, in some cases, cannot be avoided.

Still, it sucks when things like this happen. People's feelings get hurt and they bail from what could have been a really awesome resource. This is what I feel happened here. I'm just hoping that tati is not Jordan and that she will be willing to take the high road if she does decide to pursue breeding. It is not an easy path because there is so much to learn about genetics. Still, I would rather have a highly reputable breeder, who took the trouble to educate themselves, than to have an uneducated breeder wannabe out there winging it by the seat of their pants.... which, unfortunately, is more often than not.

jennifervb said:
eagle said:
tati4444 said:
Well, the people on here are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy passionate about keeping rats safe. It's admirable. Jordan, you getting this? Some people are being....STRONG...about your idea of breeding(which i know you HAVEN'T done yet) and they're looking out for the ratties. Though some appear rude, it isn't hard to see where they're coming from. So, learn more about rats....and breed them the way you see fit! ^_^ Now, if anyone knows how to delete my rat shack account, please, don't hesitate to pm me!

Well send a PM to Jorats, I am sure she will take care of you.

temblabamomo said:
Strong opinions are good, and I (and many others here) are always open to new ideas and new ways of thinking. I would welcome someone to give me one really good reason why ethical breeding is okay, and from reading this thread I've seen a few reasons that already changed my opinion of breeding. I still do no support breeding, but my formerly uber negative opinion has been changed to a much less negative one now.

I should note that that tati4444 is not the original poster here, only joined the forum after this thread was created, has made no other posts, and is the only one trying to stir the pot/not being respectful. I would love to see her IP address, something tells me she's based in Charlotte, NC.

To each his own. Always alway always there will be conflicting opinions about things. Regardless of whether tati is the same person as the OP or not, it still saddens me to know that someone will walk away from what I have found to be an invaluable source of infomation and support. The majority of folks here seem to be in Canada...I could join a forum with more members based in the states where I wouldn't feel quite so left out of local chatter, but I have never found one where the people are as open minded and fair as the good folks here. I hope tati will take the time to stick around and see that, despite the strong and sometimes differing opinions, this is a good place to be.

temblabamomo said:
To each his own. Always alway always there will be conflicting opinions about things. Regardless of whether tati is the same person as the OP or not, it still saddens me to know that someone will walk away from what I have found to be an invaluable source of infomation and support. The majority of folks here seem to be in Canada...I could join a forum with more members based in the states where I wouldn't feel quite so left out of local chatter, but I have never found one where the people are as open minded and fair as the good folks here. I hope tati will take the time to stick around and see that, despite the strong and sometimes differing opinions, this is a good place to be.

What I meant is I suspect the OP is someone known to the OP that has a vested interest in her breeding who joined the forum only to defend her, not just someone who joined and was put off by the discussion. There's a huge difference between the two.

victoria said:
temblabamomo said:

What I meant is I suspect the OP is someone known to the OP that has a vested interest in her breeding who joined the forum only to defend her, not just someone who joined and was put off by the discussion. There's a huge difference between the two.

Oh. Sorry, I wasn't following. Even if they are someone who just joined for that purpose, I'd still hate for them to not give the place a chance. Just because a person supports breeding doesn't mean they can't still hang around here and learn. If you're going to take the time to register with a great forum, why not stick around a bit, ya know?

victoria said:
jennifervb said:
eagle said:
tati4444 said:
Well, the people on here are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy passionate about keeping rats safe. It's admirable. Jordan, you getting this? Some people are being....STRONG...about your idea of breeding(which i know you HAVEN'T done yet) and they're looking out for the ratties. Though some appear rude, it isn't hard to see where they're coming from. So, learn more about rats....and breed them the way you see fit! ^_^ Now, if anyone knows how to delete my rat shack account, please, don't hesitate to pm me!

Well send a PM to Jorats, I am sure she will take care of you.

temblabamomo said:

I should note that that tati4444 is not the original poster here, only joined the forum after this thread was created, has made no other posts, and is the only one trying to stir the pot/not being respectful. I would love to see her IP address, something tells me she's based in Charlotte, NC.

Did we have someone similar from Charlotte, NC?

victoria said:
temblabamomo said:

Now I get it... please disregard my last post!!! If tati is, as you suggest, a friend to Jordan who only came here to support her friend.... then she is no friend of Jordan's. She indicated that some of what was advised was "admirable" but she worded it in such a way as to attack the people who she believed were attacking Jordan. Then she walked away from the site leaving Jordan to fend for herself.

Let's hope Jordan is capable of thinking for herself or her "friend" will encourage her down a potentially catastrophic road of rat breeding. It sucks, but that's what worries me. Jordan is young, too young for that kind of potential disaster. :(

I hope Jordan comes back and learns from those who know. If she wants to breed, there is nothing we can do to prevent it. I would love, however, for her to become the right kind of breeder. Let's hope. :rose:

Hello. I've returned for a little bit. I feel I've given The Rat Shack a good enough break for now. Most should be aware of the situation and I'm sure most to all will be happy to know that I am NOT going to breed (at this point in my life). Thank you for all your hard work in giving me incidents that have happened because of rat breeders who get in way over their heads.
There are other reason's for having changed my mind but none that I will state.

So, with open arms, mind and ears, I have come to collect information!
Thank you!!

I'm glad your back, and I hope everything is ok in your life.
I think if you work towards being a good reputable breeder you are headed in the right direction :)

Welcome back! Me and my rat boys look forward to reading more about you and your ratties. As everyone else has stated numerous times, this is an amazing place for information. You will never stop learning! Even after you think you've figured it all out. I am so thankful I found this place after I took in my first rat (which was not at all planned). Please stick around :)

I'm glad everyone is so glad! It just fills my stomach with butterflies! There's really nothing else for me to say at this point about me and my rats. If I think of something I'll be sure to tell!

rattyattie_14 said:
I'm glad everyone is so glad! It just fills my stomach with butterflies! There's really nothing else for me to say at this point about me and my rats. If I think of something I'll be sure to tell!

:bunnydance: ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Jordan)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) :bunnydance:

Thanks for that banner of WELCOME jennifervb! That was nice! I love your little dancing bunnies! They are so excited! It's been a while since I read a post from you! How are you and your rats? :)

Back