Weak legs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

I noticed tonight that Ninja (around 14-16months) wasn't as mobile as normal. She was spending a lot of time in the ball.

I took her out and let her walk around, and I can't quite explain it but it seems like her legs are weak. Shes walking
alright most of the time, but every now and then it seems like she misses a step, or she'll misjudge where the edge of the cage is and her front paws will slip off.

Shes been on me for a good hour now and I have a bowl of food and water here for her. Shes been exploring, but mainly just content to stay on my chest.

If shes like this tomorrow I'm most likely going to call Dr. Munn and see if she has any available time for me. I don't know if any of you will remember what happened last time a rattie of mine was sick, Ella, but I took her to a vet here in town and that was a complete waste of $150 and meds that ended up giving her seizures.

Is there anything specific I can feed her? I'm going to see if my husband can bring home a can of Ensure.
As far as her breathing is concerned, I can hear the odd wheeze out of her, but nothing constant.

Its not the same thing as Ella had, or else it just hasn't progressed to that point. I'm just scared of whats going to happen if she needs round the clock care like Ella did. I could be going into labour any day now and don't know what to do about my poor Ninja.

Watch her carefully. Watch to see if she's only wobbly through her back end, her front end or her whole body. Watch her grasping things, give her a cheerio something she can hold onto, and see that she grasps firmly and evenly. Watch for any signs of confusion like when she's trying to go somewhere or find the waterbottle.

If you are getting any of these signs she may have PT. The age is right for regular PT, 16-19 months I find, and then there's late onset after 2ish.

When you pick her up does she feel limp or lighter than she should?

PT can be controlled and the symptoms diminished for a short time (sometimes) with a treatment of abs and steroids, but its ultimately fatal.

I hope its not that Meghan. :(

Last update after seeing Dr. Munn

Were all done. Were going with the same course of treatment as Ella. Baytril and Doxycycline. Dr. Munn said Ninja's heart was beating nice and strong, her breathing seemed nice and it appears to be very similar, if not the same as what Ella had.

She said something that really touched both Chuck and I. I asked her if she sees many rats in this condition and she said she does, but most people choose to euthanize them, but its people like us that really make her wonder how many of them could be saved.

She said the next 2-6hrs are the most important.
She gave her an injection of both anti biotics and some fluid to help start her off.
So its back to Peterborough for us and what I'm going to assume is a long night for me.
The receptionist told us she would call tomorrow to see how she is doing.

Shel, refresh my memory... what happened to Ella? I remember the rush to get her to Dr Munn's but I don't remember what was wrong.

Oh, Meghan i'm SO sorry....

:hugs:

Peterborough, unfortunatly SUCKS when it comes to small animals i've found...
We go to Bowmanville Vet Clinic, and they're GREAT!

Only a couple of vets there trained for rats, but the tech's are all great!

hope poor ninja is feeling better REAL soon....

:heart:

We're home now and Ninja is in the hospital cage, wrapped in saran wrap with oxygen going into it (yes there are holes in it). We're going to take her out in an hour or so and try to give her some Ensure and water (i think i still have that rehydration mix you gave me shelagh).
My mom came over because my husband has to work nights tonight. Right before I drop her off we're going to give Ninja her medication.

It might be silly, but I'm scared I'm going to go into labour tonight.

meghan said:
We're home now and Ninja is in the hospital cage, wrapped in saran wrap with oxygen going into it (yes there are holes in it). We're going to take her out in an hour or so and try to give her some Ensure and water (i think i still have that rehydration mix you gave me shelagh).
My mom came over because my husband has to work nights tonight. Right before I drop her off we're going to give Ninja her medication.

It might be silly, but I'm scared I'm going to go into labour tonight.
Awww Ninja sure ended up in the right hands for "hospice care"

When are you due sweetie?

Back