URI? Internal parasites? rosie needs help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful that Rosie is feeling better.

You might try baby cereal mixed up with ensure, soy baby formula, etc.
If you mix it thick, she will be able to chew it.

:doh: why didn't i think of that! of course... *shakes head* i'm so used to making the baby cereal and ensure thin that i didn't even think about making it thick... well that was a brain fart... *sigh*

was able to take advantage of a cancellation. got rosie and babydoll into the vet today. through diagnostics it was determined that rosie is not acting like a URI rat-which the last vet agreed with- nor is she acting like a CHF rat-but we dosed her with lasix anyway just in case, we're not expecting an improvement. we're figuring either scaring or tumor in the chest cavity. the vet still did not want to sedate rosie to get the x-rays and felt they were a needless procedure anyway as if anything was found nothing can be done about it and she's still a happy rat so its not going to make me put her down even if they were able to see anything. the plan is to keep her happy and work at getting more high carb foods into her. we're starting on whole wheat pastas once or twice a day and i need to research on more complex foods. rosie is a tricky one as she is very picky about her foods. if she can't chew it she won't eat it. so the simple baby foods are out. i'm going to try to make some baby and ensure paste to see if that is enough to get her chewing. we also trimmed her teeth which really upset her and so had to go under oxygen for a little bit. they could use a bit more of a trim but it may be down enough that she can work it out on her own now too. we'll see. this may help her eat more too, though she seemed to be eating fine to me. though she has been eating a it slower then the others on certain foods i figured she just wasn't too keen on them and just liked to take her time as she does with everything else. in any case she's still with us. we're working on her diet and she may go back for another trim in a couple weeks.

babydoll also went in to get her lumps looked at (there are lumps on her lump, all in one spot on top of each other). they started off as abscesses that we treated at home but it appears that she has since develop mammary tumors. its a large one but does not seem connected and the vet is fairly confident it will be an easy and quick operation. though there are inherent risks to any operation, babydoll has no particular risks to worry about. her operation is scheduled for next tuesday.

so between rosie's private meals and babydoll's coming operation it looks like the nursery/sick cage is going to be up and in operation again. this time i hope it will be used for many more months to as rosie's personal cafeteria. so not great news but not horrible either. we knew that the chances of rosie having a complete recovery was slim. but at least she's still happy and that counts for a lot.

It's good that you have narrowed things down a bit and that Rosie is still happy and hungry. Rosie will have a good time letting you tempt her with delicious treats like avocado!

Back