Urgent two rats in Oshawa that were going as snake food now for sale by owner $10

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the OSPCA yesterday on the ad poster, since she didn't reply to any of the people trying to respond to the ads by text, e-mail or phone.

I do not think that "walk away" if a fair comment either.

Unfortunately that is reality... 100$ is nothing when you have tons of rats to care for, and it can be very stressful and emotional having a bunch of uncared for rats in your home. It is definitely unfair for you to insult people that do their best to give these unwanted rats a home. Especially when you are not the one taking in these rats into your home. I just started rescuing rats and I know how hard and expensive it is taking care of tons of rats from bad situations with possible health issues. I am only able to take in so many, just like everyone else. You can't save them all.

It's a sad truth. As much as we want to save everyone that would be impossible for anyone to achieve. What matters is whether you're doing your best. I have known a lot of these forum members for years. They have always done their best. They have always made a difference and that's what counts.

Excuse me Minnieflower? D: I have taken a bunch of rats into my home. If people could not help then they should have just said I hope someone can rescue them or that somebody can help. To put a negative comment that we should just walk away or forget about this thread might deter people from even trying. As for the $100, I was offering that for someone who took the time to drive all the way out to save the rats because it was urgent.

For those who didn't exactly read what I was saying, my plan was if these rats could be rescued from the snake owner and taken to a Humane Society. I was offering to pay someone for their time to drive, since I do not have a car at the moment. If someone could have given them a home that would have been excellent. I don't know who has how many rats, but there are probably other members who might have been able to help, so please do not put discouraging comments on my threads, as I have not done so on anyone else's thread.

It was bad enough that the ad poster tried to feed these poor rats to her snake, but to have the chance of the same lucky rats going to another snake owner would be very unfortunate and that's why I wanted to try and rescue them so much. Heck if you saw the girl's photo blogs and the photos she posted of her snake eating a couple of rats with the captions "Yummy" and "NomNom" you'd have been appalled. :-(

Last edited:
Excuse me Minnieflower? D: I have taken a bunch of rats into my home. If people could not help then they should have just said I hope someone can rescue them or that somebody can help. To put a negative comment that we should just walk away or forget about this thread might deter people from even trying. As for the $100, I was offering that for someone who took the time to drive all the way out to save the rats because it was urgent.

Excuse you but I honestly don't care. It's not a competition of who takes in rats and who doesn't. Lilspaz's post was not negative at all, she stated she might have dealt with these people before, and there is probably nothing you can do. Yes I understand that the situation is sad and its nice of you to try but you can't save everyone. Your comment not only sounded like it was directed at her but its disrespectful to everyone that rescues here.

One she should not have posted that comment, it was quite negative and discouraging to others who might be reading the thread, and two please do not comment on my threads unless you have something positive to say or can offer to help.

"It's not a competition of who takes in rats and who doesn't."

Exactly so why did you even bring up the fact of me taking in these specific rats or not? I was simply trying to organize a rescue, if you can help, help, if not do not hamper things with discouraging comments!

"Perhaps you should walk away?" is not an acceptable comment, as it not only kills the enthusiasm in the thread but also may ward off others from trying to offer help.

Last edited:
Just stop commenting on my thread if you have nothing positive to say! The rescue attempt is over, and unless I hear news back from the OSPCA or someone who saved them, your comments are not needed here Minnieflower!

I do not want to hear "Perhaps you should walk away?" as a comment to my thread. If you think that, please keep it to yourself and let other people who are offering to help reply!

Last edited:
Also I have not been going out searching for all these rats in need of homes ads. These were ones people on Facebook shared with me asking me to try and help. Out of my posts only a small few were ones I actually stumbled across. With the negativity, I'm really starting to think about asking people who find ads to not bother me with them anymore. Yeah maybe I should just "walk away" and forget about it, and not do rat rescue as I've been doing since 2007? >.<

Furthermore not every rescue effort can be done in person by me because they occur in different cities or countries. That does not mean that I wont try to co-ordinate a rescue with others who are closer to help. This includes offering people money for their time to go and drive to pick up the animals with or without me and take them to a home or rescues! This kind of arrangement has worked quite a few times to save rats in the past and get them away from bad owners to take them to safety, so do not question my methods, they sometimes work!

Last edited:
Sadly the ads have been taken down. I do not know if some kind person took the rats as pets or not. I do know that out of the five or six people that tried to contact the ad poster, none of them got a reply, so I called in the OSPCA to investigate and send all the pertinent information from the ads to the OSPCA investigator. I only hope that these rats made it to good homes.

The OSPCA said that do not divulge information about their investigations, but said that they respond to calls about rats in need of help with every bit of urgency than they do for cats and dogs.

Unless the ad poster posts ads again for the rats, I would not know short of someone else calling them to find out.

Bummer. I was hoping they would be less secretive about it. Geez it's not like it's a CPS case!-shouldn't be privacy protection. We should be publicly shaming these kinds of people so they feel pressure to not do it again!

Back