*Update on Ennis-Please Read-New Mystery*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its possible that the abscess burst inside his body cavity and is causing a systemic infection.
The abs should clear that up. Did your vet tell you how to take care of the abscess at home now? The flushing etc?

How is he today. still weak and shaky?

The mouth gasping, was he trying to breathe? Or was it only after the yogie?

The stuff she gave you is a probiotic, most abs will kill ALL bacteria including the good ones in his gut and this helps them replenish back to normal.

He is still weak and shakey today.
I'm afraid to put him in his cage. I just want to keep a close eye on him.

The mouth gasping was only after the yogie, thank god! I am familiar with the gasping for breath and it never ends wells. That is why I am so concerned.

The vet just said that I can flush it out with water or saline solution.
Do you think it's okay if I put some betadine on it after I flush it?
The vet said it wasnt necesarry but I want to do as much as possible to help him.

Is the infection why the poop is green?

RatsRGods said:
He is still weak and shakey today.
I'm afraid to put him in his cage. I just want to keep a close eye on him.

The mouth gasping was only after the yogie, thank god! I am familiar with the gasping for breath and it never ends wells. That is why I am so concerned.

The vet just said that I can flush it out with water or saline solution.
Do you think it's okay if I put some betadine on it after I flush it?
The vet said it wasnt necesarry but I want to do as much as possible to help him.

That would be fine.

Is he having issues on one side more than another? Is he just acting sick?

Btw fear poop is often looser and lighter in colour than regular at-home poop.

How are his poops now?

It may be that he choked on the yogie, and that's what caused the open mouth thing. So long as he's breathing fine, it should be okay and he'll work it out. As for the green poop, he may have eaten more of his "goodies" than usual? Even though my girls get fresh fruit just about every morning, if I give them a few pieces extra they can have funky poo for a day or two. Fear poops are also different from regular poops, so I would expect his poop at the vet's to be different than at home.

You can use betadine solution 1:5 to clean the abscess after you flush it, but your vet is correct that it shouldn't be necessary. Here the Article on Ratguide about abscesses and it includes a homemade saline solution recipe.

I usually only give him his treats once a day before bedtime.
I just checked on him and he does seem more alert.
I gave him some food and he grabbed it fast!
So that is a good sign :)

I'm letting the saline solution reach room temperature now and then I will flush it.

Thank you, everyone! You all have, once again, saved me from madness!

Just an update.

He's still pretty unsteady and not moving much but he is eating a little when I hand it to him. I'm also bring water for him to lap out of a teaspoon since he's not able to get it himself.
His poop is still greenish color. I dont understand it...

I checked his wound out and noticed he had a penis plug, so I cleaned that off.
I was shocked that that formed so fast, he's only been sick like this for a day.

I just hate that I have to go to work tomorrow and leave him alone all day.

Back