ugh possible 2 pregnant

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have contacted another member who can maybe get cheap espay so i can get atleast one done.. Sky is Tiny tiny and she is the one i am more concerned about... so if any are to get espayed then it will be her i will have an update soon..

Could you adopt the two girls out to someone on the forum who could could care for the babies, moms, and have more time to re-home them.
I know it would be hard. But you obviously can not have 25+ babies. If you cannot e-spay them, this is your only other option that doesn't involve you ending up with babies.

:happydance: River is Deffently not Pregant YAY!!!! Sky i am not so sure I have started to weigh her. and watch her I have also removed River and Sky from the big cage until i can cover it better... No more escapees for me!

Adrienne said:
:happydance: River is Deffently not Pregant YAY!!!! Sky i am not so sure I have started to weigh her. and watch her I have also removed River and Sky from the big cage until i can cover it better... No more escapees for me!

Glad to hear one girl is not pregnant, keeping my fingers crossed for the other girl.

Sorry to sound rude but you don't HAVE to get them spayed. It's sort of seeming as though you guys are bullying her into that a little. It's her decision not ours. And besides, I would personally feel like a murderer.... if it risked mum-to-be's health, then MAYBE. But it's also a big risk, spaying them.

no one is bullying her into anything.
she asked for advice, and multiple people are simply giving her their opinions.

you may feel like a murderer spaying a pregnant female, but in rats multiplying like they do, they are limiting good forever homes for existing ratties who are in shelters or rescues.

it's better to focus on the ones we have, and that need us. not create more.

I would feel like a murderer bringing more rats (or any pets) into this world when so many are killed each day. Even if you find homes for the ones you have, those homes are no longer available to rats in life or death situations. JMHO

Kayla said:
I would feel like a murderer bringing more rats (or any pets) into this world when so many are killed each day. Even if you find homes for the ones you have, those homes are no longer available to rats in life or death situations. JMHO

:nod:

ratloveandcute said:
Sorry to sound rude but you don't HAVE to get them spayed. It's sort of seeming as though you guys are bullying her into that a little. It's her decision not ours. And besides, I would personally feel like a murderer.... if it risked mum-to-be's health, then MAYBE. But it's also a big risk, spaying them.

I know that in your neck of the woods spaying and neutering seems barbaric but it's not here. Our exotic vets are so good and the risk is really minimal now.
We have so many homeless rats in Ontario, those rats might suffer a horrible fate worse than death.

It's not barbaric here. In fact, right now I have a male neutered - for one reason - to live with other rats.
If I have to, I will get a rat neutered to live with females.

It's no different in Ontario or anywhere else. There are loads of rats here constantly looking for homes. I rescue a lot of these rats, that is why I have almost 50 (have had more)... but mine still get excellent, in my opinion, care.
My point is basically, it's no different at all.

ratloveandcute said:
It's not barbaric here. In fact, right now I have a male neutered - for one reason - to live with other rats.
If I have to, I will get a rat neutered to live with females.

It's no different in Ontario or anywhere else. There are loads of rats here constantly looking for homes. I rescue a lot of these rats, that is why I have almost 50 (have had more)... but mine still get excellent, in my opinion, care.
My point is basically, it's no different at all.

Since you have rescued that many rats you should be one of the most understanding as to why an espay would be a better option than bringing more rats into this world. Rats which might end up taking the homes of other rats that really need it.

I'm not saying more rats should be brought into this world in general. In my opinion, even 'good' breeders should stop breeding.

I too have struggled with the issue of espaying.
I suggested it because it sounded like the girls, if pregnant were only a day or so along so the embro would not yet have even implanted into the uterus wall. Better a espay than what would have happened to them with no good homes to go to. People on this forum are full and would not be able to help by taking in that many babies.

Last summer I took in a girl that was possibly pregnant as she had been living with a boy. I didn't feel able to espay her. I decided to keep all the babies if she were pregnant so that I would not be taking homes away from other rats in need. Fortunately Betsy wasn't pregnant.

Usually when people rescue pregnant rats, the rat is too far along for a spay to be considered.

I will never understand why people are against e-spays....No one needs to explain to me all their "reasons". I have heard them all before.......and they still make no sense to me.
We KILL millions of animals every year....dogs, cats, and lots of other kinds of animals.....but people get upset about doing a pregnant spay. :?

"We KILL millions of animals every year....dogs, cats, and lots of other kinds of animals"

Humans might. I don't go out and kill a load of animals, unless you could explain that further? I never said I agreed to any of the people killing these animals, by the way.

And we got 3 pregnant females- we kept all 22 babies.

We as in the human race, not you alone.

And with the 22 babies, that's you, and that's fine. But lots of people don't have the space, time, want for 22
baby rats.

Sorry but why would you compare my opinion to what the human race does? I didn't say I wasn't worried about those animals suffering and getting killed.

ratloveandcute said:

I think the fact that Adrienne is moving to Alberta in a year and has to rehome the current rats she has is why people are suggesting e-spays. Its a bad situation as it is having pregnancy scares, but when you have to re-home the rats you have already, adding more to the equasion just doesn't help in the slightest.

Back