ugh possible 2 pregnant

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrienne

So i came home from work and my 2 females were in the males cage. :doh: i dont know how they got out i had it blocked off I am so..... I dont even know.. I cant do babies I dont know what to do.... anyone have any suggestions? :sad3:

First thing, you watch them for the next 4 days for signs of going into heat...then you make the next decision if they don't. :undecided:

Remember to flip them over every night at about 9-10 pm to check their nether bits to see if they have more silent heats than most.

E-spay, if possible. If you can't handle having babies, that might be your only option.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they go into heat... but the chances are slim.

Also crossing fingers for your girls not being preggers! Those tricky little things!
But...I'm so curious...what is an e-spay? I know what spaying is, but this is the first time I've heard the term e-spay. I'm such a noob...

If you take them in and have them spayed NOW then it is no different then a normal spay.......not enough time to make a difference. I would do it immediately.

I really dont have the funds to do an espay... I cant belive that this is happening I am very disapointed in my self for not sucuring the girls better.

I agree with Dahlas - beg/borrow from friends and family and get the girls spayed right away. Otherwise you could end up with 20+ more rats. It's easier to borrow the money and pay it back than it would be to find homes for that many more unwanted babies.......

ok so we're not spaying/espaying then?
What do the girls, and boys look like? lets try and figure out how IMPOSSIBLE this is going to be... you could have potentially 20+ babies Adri. and lets face we live in an area where homes, unless you're giving them away to less than adequate people, are full, FULL!
You are moving in what? a year?
Can you re home to GOOD homes in that time frame?
I'm not trying to freak on you, but this is reality now, what are you going to do if spaying isn't an option?

Adrienne said:
I really dont have the funds to do an espay... I cant belive that this is happening I am very disapointed in my self for not sucuring the girls better.

I know this is going to sound terrible...but am so sick of this. It is always the same story. People have two intact opposite sexes in the same house....accidents happen, they always do, but they never have the money to do the right thing.....so then there are more unwanted/homeless babies looking for homes. It is the same thing over and over........Don't people keep funds for emergencies????? Isn't that one of the first things you do when you have pets? Have an emergency medical fund???? Well this is an emergency...... Why do people insist on keeping opposite sexes in the same house and then act all surprised when this happens?????
Sorry Adrienne....this is not all directed at you. But I have heard this exact story so many times this year.....it is so frustrating.
I hope they are not pregnant.....and I know you did not mean for this to happen.

You have to do espays if they're preggo.

You will have at least 20 babies.

The females should have been in a different room....especially if they were intact. :( Poor girls. Let's hope that they weren't in heat.

Dahlas said:
Adrienne said:

I know this is going to sound terrible...but am so sick of this. It is always the same story. People have two intact opposite sexes in the same house....accidents happen, they always do, but they never have the money to do the right thing.....so then there are more unwanted/homeless babies looking for homes. It is the same thing over and over........Don't people keep funds for emergencies????? Isn't that one of the first things you do when you have pets? Have an emergency medical fund???? Well this is an emergency...... Why do people insist on keeping opposite sexes in the same house and then act all surprised when this happens?????
Sorry Adrienne....this is not all directed at you. But I have heard this exact story so many times this year.....it is so frustrating.
I hope they are not pregnant.....and I know you did not mean for this to happen.

I know exactly what you mean. I was just talking to someone about this, and this is exactly why I've chosen to only have girls (and one neutered boy!). It's the same story over and over and over. If you're going to have both sexes in tact in the same house, you MUST either be prepared for "accident" litters, or be prepared to e-spay. It's just way too easy for things like this to happen.

I never posted on the forums about this, but when I rescued Whipple's hamster, she was constantly getting out of her cage. Every night. No matter how many zip ties I put on the cage. I finally took metal luggage locks and LOCKED her in, and she still got out.

Just goes to show you that no matter WHAT precautions you take, animals can find a way around our silly barriers, especially animals in heat.

Average size litter is 12 to 14 babies so you may be looking at 24 to 28 babies with the possibility of up to 52 babies as rats can have 26 in a litter.

Immediate spays are the only reasonable option unless you can care for that many rats.
Better make the appointments now. Then as Lilspaz68 said, watch the girls over the next 4 days to see if they go into heat.
Hopefully they are not pregnant and they will show signs of being in heat.

Please e-spay them right away. Even if you could find good homes for all the babies, those homes would no longer be open for other rats in need. There is only one responsible option, IMO.

Back