ugh possible 2 pregnant

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We should agree to disagree. :nod:

I'm sure there are several people who believe that an e-spay is not warranted and then there are others that do. That's fine, we are all entitled to our opinion.
We can only offer advice, guidance and support....
Not having the e-spay would mean needing to find homes for the new babies which there really aren't any homes right now. To make matter worse, Adri is moving so she has not choice but to re-home the rats. It's a frustrating situation. Nobody is happy about it, we are all stressing with poor Adri over this.

Dahlas said:
I will never understand why people are against e-spays....No one needs to explain to me all their "reasons". I have heard them all before.......and they still make no sense to me.
We KILL millions of animals every year....dogs, cats, and lots of other kinds of animals.....but people get upset about doing a pregnant spay. :?

It was a general statement not directed at at any one person.......

Well let's clear something up

NOBODY LIKES TO DO E-SPAYS.

I certainly don't like doing it. I hate putting our vet and vet techs through it especially.

But unfortunately as long as their are irresponsible idiots in this world, somebody has to clean up after them.

This is one poss. litter here and although it might not seem a bit thing... It the babies born will take a home away of a rat who currently sits in a shelter on death row. Or it a rat in rescue won't get adopted and although this won't be a death sentence for the rat in rescue, it is a death sentence for the rat who needs to come into rescue but rescue is full.

Also in rescue we are dealing with large groups of rats 50-100 at a time with MANY females who were still with males. It is always a wonder when we can pull it off and rescue all the adults/babies already born but to think that there's many more litters coming... it just has to be done to save the adults. E.g. I did a rescue of 50 rats. Among those 50 there were 16 females who needed to get spayed right away. Of those 16, 11 were pregnant. That would be over 100 additional on top of the 50 adults/already born babies. It is simply not doable with the resources we have. There are also simply not enough homes out there. In rescue you have to do what you have to do and often it's not pretty and sunshine and rainbows. It plain and simply sucks and is dirty work. Spaying those 16 allowed us to take all 50 into rescue and save them all. If we hadn't done e-spays we would have had to leave many of those behind and it was a timely matter... the shelter manager gave us 4 days to get them all out or they were going to be put down and I have no question in my mind that this is what would have happened.

But yeah, I certainly hate that there is a need for e-spays but there plain and simply is and there will be a need until people become responsible.

And "oh but babies will get adopted so fast" doesn't work either because we just had a bunch of babies in and they sat in rescue since April and were only just adopted this weekend. Meanwhile I had to turn down a lot of rats and we're the end of the road last hope for rats... If we can't take them, it generally is a death sentence.

So the real question is, how are things going Adrienne? What did you decide to do? You had determined that one of the girls isn't preggo. What about the other? How is she doing?

I'm glad that one of the girls isn't pregnant!!!! that's good news, Hopefully the other girl won't be either! I would go the e-spay route as well. I know that if we knew Hermione was pregnant she would have gone in for the spay but the little bugger didn't let us know till she was popping them out lol

Joanne said:
So the real question is, how are things going Adrienne? What did you decide to do? You had determined that one of the girls isn't preggo. What about the other? How is she doing?

She seems to be fine. I still cant tell if she is preg or not I have tried to see if she goes into heat and nothing .. i have tired at diffrent times threw out the day to.

as for my girls HMR is going to take them. and if there are babies she is going to raise them
I just want to thank everyone here on the shack for helping me out and not biting my head off too too much.. :heart: You guys are all great for doing what you do because these little guys need as much help as they can get. ( not mine just ones in general. )
and as for Espays When it is needed and there is no other option and it is in the best intrest for the rattie then yes i think that they are a good idea

Might be a silly question... but how do u tell if a rat is in heat? I have only seen a slight ear flap once, so i have no idea lol. Seriously inexperienced with girls lol

Girls will wiggle their ears, arch their bodies and make small little hops and will try to present themselves to other rats, no matter who they are. little hussies really. :giggle:

ratloveandcute said:
Sorry to sound rude but you don't HAVE to get them spayed. It's sort of seeming as though you guys are bullying her into that a little. It's her decision not ours. And besides, I would personally feel like a murderer.... if it risked mum-to-be's health, then MAYBE. But it's also a big risk, spaying them.

I just wanted to point out that you don't know the entire backstory here. Adrienne is going to be moving to Alberta, and rats are illegal there. NONE of her rats would be able to come with her, let alone two litters worth. That's part of the reason why so many people are pushing for espays.

If her situation was different I'm sure some of the response would be different.

The other problem being that right now in this area we are being swarmed with litters of rats needing homes.

I'm so glad to hear one's not pregnant for sure.... beautiful news.

littledevils said:
Tell you what... spend a few months in my shoes or another rescuer's shoes. And then tell me if you still feel the same way.

My friend runs a large animal rescue and I don't think they have got animals spayed. As I said, agree to disagree.

I hope they are not pregnant. Well, this other girl. :kisskiss:

Back