tumour

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Artie was one year old at the end of March.
He seems to have a large lump on his right side ...
So will try to find a good affordable vet in the am or drive 5 hours to NB to see my vet.

I can only hope that it is operatable .... :cry4:

and that the cost is reasonable :(

anyone want to adopt 39 ratties?

I thought he was really putting on weight, was away for over a week and now find that when he is in the right position he has a huge, hard lump ... The last time I saw something similar to this, it was a very fast growing tumour and Naoh had to be immediately pts.

But I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it is a huge abcess ....

Thanks,
I'm a complete wreck ....
Vet appointment at 1pm today .... with a vet who is suposed to know something about rats ...

Thanks Christina for recommending a few vets in the area.

Good luck with your sweetie!! Remember to sort out your pros and cons when it comes to tumours.
Mamarat had a girl with a huge tumour on her side. At first our vet was worried about doing the procedure, it really felt like it was going too deep in the body. But as it grew, mamarat decided to bring her back in and our vet decided to "try" the procedure. Puce died a couple of days before her scheduled surgery. This was a cancer and it was going to get her no matter what. Puce was also a very old rat. So really sit down and think hard on your decision on what to do. Remember, your mind is smart, don't just listen to your heart.

Thanks jorats.
Artie is an approx. 16 month old, otherwise very healthy, neutered boy.
I will try to use both my heart and my head once I know what we are dealing with ...

The vet examined Artie.
He has end stage cancer .... a huge abdominal tumour and is retaining fluid that caused pressure that pushed the tumour out of the body cavity so I was able to feel it .....
She said it feels attached to his organs - possibly his liver or spleen.

She didn't feel it was safe to do a needle biopsy and said an x-ray wouldn't make any difference.

Otherwise Artie is the picture of good health.
She took him around to meet all the employees at the vet hospital because he is such an extra sweet little boy .....

Needless to say, there is no treatment ...
I guess I enjoy what little time Artie has left and then when he starts to appear to be experiencing pain, I have Artie pts

:cry4:

Thanks ... but it is huge and his belly is hard ... that pressure must be uncomfortable ...
so I don't think little Artie has a lot of time left ...

The vet didn't think he is experiencing pain yet.

It is just so very unexpected as Artie is so young and looks so healthy. :sad3:
Artie is happy, curious, bright eyed, active and has a love for food and a passion for grooming people and inspecting their teeth ....
Tho I have noticed he hasn't been as active since I returned from NB and he hasn't tried to stick his head in my mouth for awhile ...

My internal tumour story was Pippens. he was bright and cheerful until the very end at 37 months. After he was pts, Dr Munn gave him a right good feel, and found that the tumour had pushed most of his organs out of the abdominal cavity...I had NO clue it was that intensive, but she was amazed at how bright and happy he was...she saw him a few times.

Pips
Pippensinhisfavplace.jpg

Oh SQ - thats such a heartbreaker :sad3: Big hugs to both you and your Artie man

We'll be thinking of both of you

yes unfortunately cancer knows no age group to strike and he will continue to do well until it reaches a stage that it interferes with normal function of the body.
very sorry to hear about the bad news holly :hugs:
who did you end up seeing? anie or karen?

Back