Tumor on 26 mo. old rat (Photo Update 04/12)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm now using the excuse that I'm lacking in cornstarch as a reason to put this off, haha.

I watched her amble around tonight and sometimes the tumor does touch the ground. Certainly not dragging though.

*hides bag of flour behind her back*

Oh sigh. So is there a method I should be aware of other than avoiding the quick? ;) Just...snip? *gulp*

I'd just get the sharp pointed part off... You probably won't have to cut very far to do that. :) If it's a full nail trim you're going for, I thought I saw a diagram once floating around; let me do a quick look see for it.

Aw geez... I just want to send some love to Brie.
I know you're just joking about cutting them too short, probably out of nervousness, I'd do it too I'm sure. I'd rather deal with an abscess (not that I'd rather the kid had it) than cutting claws I think. If her nails are too long and you don't know what you're doing just take off some sharp part, you don't have to cut them to the shortest possible point!
So how is she doing apart from being foiled in her attempt to quietly grow weapons of MASSeur destruction?
Oh Brie, somebody out here loves you kid, like you care, cause you got all the feedin' & lovin' you want.
Love anyway, kid :kisses:

Thanks Fidget! :D
They don't appear to be too long but I think the idea is just to dull them a bit so she can't dig so deeply into her skin. At least I think that's what I'm doing, haha.

She seems to be in good spirits! Not very active, but attentive and interested in what's going on around her. She still rushes to the cage door when I'm near it. I think she may (or maybe Elphie) gave little Ginny a war wound but then again I found them sleeping with little Jo last night which is sooooo great to see! She's been very resentful of the babies since they arrived.

I'll just keep up with the Metacam and hope she's doing okay. If only animals could talk and tell us if they're hurting.

Ohhh wow I see why she's so popular at the clinic. She just...let me cut her nails. She panted a tiny bit through her nose but that's it. Needless to say she got a juicy cherry tomato right after.

I hope it helps. I worry she may be gnawing at it as the fur is disappearing towards her head.

I just took these.

2hqt11f.jpg

Scratching
21k9vrk.jpg

5n5bmg.jpg

Phoe just got bitten.
2z40489.jpg

Ginny wanted to say hello.
5vyc1z.jpg

Awww little rexies with their hairloss :D

Yeah those are definitely scratches from her hind claws. She looks pretty good Bron :thumbup:

What a good girl letting her mom do that for her. Some rats fight to the bitter end, but some are wonderful "patients".

Lol! Thanks Shelagh. :D Elphie's losing a little too but not quite as much. I'm relieved to hear you say she looks good. When it comes to my rats I'm lacking in confidence!

Lisa used a wash cloth to secure her gently which stopped the paw from being pulled back. :) I was so nervous my hands trembled, not ideal with the itty bitty claws!

Random story: Elphie has a HUGE toenail on her hind leg. I don't know why it's sooo thick and long but it got in the way of her toe moving properly , like it was torqued.

Eleana wanted to start getting over her fear of rats so Lisa brought out the washcloth to restrain Elphie while I cut away at the nail but it wasn't even necessary. I gave Elphie a piece of banana and she sat back on her butt sticking her feet in the air on Lisa's lap and just ate while I trimmed her claws.

I love my rats.

Back