Tumor on 26 mo. old rat (Photo Update 04/12)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd ask out of curiosity...if I discovered the tumor in early December in its early stages...is this a slow growing tumor? I mean, my dad said she'd have a month (though he also said it was hard to give a timeline) when we did the biopsy but my girl is still looking as healthy as ever (minus the mass).

My mom's girl has a tumour wrapped around her urethra... that was found almost a year ago... so you never know... :)
The thing with tumours, they can be slow growing and then all of a sudden grow real fast and slow down again. They like to play with our minds. :panic:

I'm far from an expert, but I've sure been around long enough to see so many tumor stories.
I have notes about diets for the young to avoid them when they're older, various treatments for them when they have already occured.. only thing I've seen that has actually shown any real verifiable effect is spaying to lessen the chance of mammary tumors.
Other than that tumors are lawless & conscientiousless. There are no rules at all. Either in who gets them or how quick they grow or where they hit. You can remove some but not the heartbreakingly frequent Pituitary Tumors, those are game over. Other tumors you can ask the vet to send off a sample to find out whether its benign (local & harmless& not likely to recur) or if it's worse. There is a good chance (not a certainty) that other tumors will pop up again after surgery - same place or somewhere else. Mammary tumors are more likely than not to recur without a spay.

You know, Once they leave your hands..... bottom line is that it's all gonna come down to your vet's skill & knowledge. That is the bottom line and either the end of the line or the beginning.

*nods* My Golden had a tumor on her adrenal gland which led to Cushings. Game over indeed!

This one's malignant and though I wrestled for a while, I decided not to do the surgery knowing it would come back. My dad isn't an exotic vet but I think he gave me the right advice for this particular girl. My other oldie, Cody, also succumbed to mammary tumors but those were insane. I discovered one, and a month later she had six. It was heartbreaking, but she was about four years old. Not a rat I wanted to put through surgery. It's really odd how that's the only other rat I've had that got tumors. There's been quite a few in my house!

Hopefully Brie will have the same luck as Jo's mum's girl. :D

Back