Tooth Trimming (at home?)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ratturtles

One of my rats has a missing bottom tooth. Ontop of this, she's not a big chewer so her two top teeth continuously keep overgrowing. The last time (and only time) I have had them trimmed so far was about three weeks ago, they did it for free because she was already getting sedated for something unrelated. I just called today to schedule another tooth trim and they quoted me $75. They said they'll likely sedate her to trim them. She's a super calm rat and in my opinion she does not need to be sedated, I also don't like the idea of continuously sedating her every two weeks just to trim her teeth. Along with this $75 dollars is alot to pay once potentially twice a month!

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with at home tooth trims. I have watched a few videos and it looks easy enough to do. I have heard splitting or cracking of the teeth can happen. I have also heard if you cut too short the tooth will bleed. Im wondering if anyone has had experience and if any of these things have ever happened to you?

(I do want to say that I don't mind paying the money every month to keep my girl happy and healthy, but to me it seems like a lot and if I don't have to pay it I would rather not.)

It is best if you have a vet use a burr tool to trim the teeth.
Other methods are dangerous as you have mentioned.

Please see ratguide.com for the info you are looking for

Back