Tilty head and possibly pregnant... Oct 30 Updated Weight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxchelle

As some of you know, I recently rescued a tilty headed possibly pregnant girl (background here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=15123)

She's got a bad scab on the back of her neck, but nowhere else. Originally when I think scabs I think mites, lice, etc. but with her... I don't get that feeling. It's just ONE scab, one very bad one, on the back of her neck, and the rest of her skin seems nice and clean, except for one of her ears, which has some scratch marks on it. The boy also seems clean, absolutely no scabs at all on him, and smilez_n_hugs has him now :D. They have been together for about a month, I think, that's what the poster of the ad said. So I sort of figured there's no way she's NOT pregnant. But she doesn't look very pregnant. Small litter, maybe?

The other thing is, whenever I touch her she squeaks. But it's not a normal rattie squeak, it's very raspy, if that makes sense. She's not sneezing a lot though, and her eyes and nose are clear.

So. On hand right now I have: Revolution and Baytril. Tomorrow morning I'll be picking up some Zithro. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Not sure if I should treat her with Revo, because of the possible pregnancy, but she's not even showing, which makes me wonder if she's pregnant at all.

Edit:
I'll be keeping track of her weight here.
Oct 19: 304g
Oct 20: 309g
Oct 21: 316g
Oct 22: 320g
Oct 23: 310g
Oct 24: 315g
Oct 25: 312g
Oct 26: 312g
Oct 27: 310g
Oct 28: 309g
Oct 29: 311g
Oct 30: 313g

DSC_6746.jpg

DSC_6750.jpg

DSC_6751.jpg

I didn't actually pick them up, it was StaceyM (thank you!!!) who got them and met me in Woodstock.

Apparently he was a kid, 15 or 16, who had a lot of other pets, including large reptiles...

Treat her with the revo, because supposedly they are insanely itching? Wait for the zithromax if you think there's a chance she's pregnant. That scab looks like a wound from the boy biting her.

Poor little tilty girl. :(

I asked about her head.... He told me nothing was wrong she "Just liked looking that way because she was curious" :doh:

He picked them up off kijiji about a month ago, and she's been like that at least since then.

I thought I might follow up with an email today to educate, he and his family seemed genuinely nice.....just utterly clueless.

StaceyM said:
I asked about her head.... He told me nothing was wrong she "Just liked looking that way because she was curious" :doh:

LOL WoW :shock: , but then again if you didn't know about head tilts one could clear think that as with dogs. But if it's permanent, wouldn't you think something of it?

Glad to hear she's safe, she doesn't look very preggers. Check for nipples, xxchelle as that may give you an idea of how close she maybe.

lilspaz68 said:
That scab looks like a wound from the boy biting her.

Yeah there's no way she did that to herself but when looking at her the scar on her ear lines up with the gash on her back so we were almost wondering if they had tried to feed her to one of the reptiles. The little boy is just too sweet for me to imagine him biting her (I know its completely possible just doesnt seem likely).

smilez_n_hugs said:
lilspaz68 said:
That scab looks like a wound from the boy biting her.

Yeah there's no way she did that to herself but when looking at her the scar on her ear lines up with the gash on her back so we were almost wondering if they had tried to feed her to one of the reptiles. The little boy is just too sweet for me to imagine him biting her (I know its completely possible just doesnt seem likely).

She may have tried mating with him and he had no interest and attacked her.
There's a lot of possibilites of how she got it. Maybe there was an attempt to feed her to a reptile (poor thing!!!).

Either way xxchelle I would definitely follow Shelagh's advice. She knows her stuff :p

oh geez.
sorry i've not been on, rough night with Coley. :roll:
and Eli passed at about 5am in my arms :sad3: he was old... my poor man.
She looks so teeny, like the boy. I can't believe the boy(human) thought she was just looking curious... :doh:

So what are you thinking pregger wise? she looks small to me, and i'm SO hoping she's not preggers.
i'll go and read your pm's right now hun.
:hugs:

Haha Lynds I PM'd you about a million times. Sorry! :doh:

lilspaz68 said:
Treat her with the revo, because supposedly they are insanely itching? Wait for the zithromax if you think there's a chance she's pregnant. That scab looks like a wound from the boy biting her.

Poor little tilty girl. :(

She's not itching too badly. And I can't see anything on her skin. With mites/lice wouldn't I see *something*, like I did with my guys?

Is there anything I can give her for her tilty head that's okay to give while pregnant?

How much Revo should I give her? Her weight is 304 g, and I have 60mg/ml revolution.

henry's_mum said:
So what are you thinking pregger wise? she looks small to me, and i'm SO hoping she's not preggers.
i'll go and read your pm's right now hun.
:hugs:

I have nooo clue. She's definitely not big. Sometimes I swear I see a little belly, other times she looks so skinny :( I tried to get belly pics last night, but she does NOT like being picked up and dangled, it probably hurts her scab :(

My plan is to simply treat as if she's pregnant, giving her tons of yummy food and making her think she's in heaven. She deserves it, preggo or not!

lice - part the fur on her rump/back and look really hard for moving teeny buggies or nits on the hair shafts.
mites - look/feel for scabs on her shoulders, neck, face, cheeks and esp. chin. Mites are microscopic.

If you don't find anything, hold off on treating her until you are sure she's not preggers.
Do you have a digital scale?

Yes, I do Shelagh. I weighed her last night. I'll be weighing her every night, and keeping track of her weights in the first post of this thread.

There's nothing on her rump, I used a magnifying glass to look. And there's no other scabs anywhere on her except for that large one on her neck.

What is a "normal" amount of itching and what is "too much" itching?

Yeah, my gut is telling me to wait.

I'll keep checking her over with the magnifying glass (I feel like Sherlock Holmes!) and watching for scratches/scabs.

Back