Throttle - (UPDATE 12/7/13) pg 3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad you couldn't get a picture of that!

Try not to let him know you're afraid. My Cy is nowhere close to get over his cage aggression, but we have made progress by me standing my ground. I reach in to wipe the shelf, he huffs and puffs and waddles over, I freeze with my hand still in the cage and very firmly tell him "No." Of course, I'm not saying you should stick your hand in a let him bite. But they do sense fear, and sometimes I think that our own worry and fear can transfer to them, making them more aggressive than they might have been for starters.

He doesn't even puff - sorry for the phrase, but he strikes like a snake... He knows the word nice cause we have to tell them that so they don't take our fingers off when we give them treats. If we don't say it they don't take them nicely.... I know you all know it, but their not dumb... Maybe I'm expecting too much from them and just want them to be like my other boys big lazy, cuddly slugs - and like peanut..... oh my should you guys see that heavy chunker.... :laugh4: I definately need to start calling him coconut... he's big now like the other boys..... I just know he would get along so well with them (I think)

Well he did it this time!! The fiance almost lost a finger - he has a very nice (well, not nice) and very painful bite! I tired to explain to him that you guys thought Throttle might be cage aggressive, but either he wasn't listening (man ears) or just ignored me.. Anyway, he went to pet Throttle today while he was laying in a hammock and- BAM! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: I think maybe he understands now! Do not approach Throttle unless he comes to the cage doors and approaches you!

Throttle did get my left middle finger very nicey. With hunk of skin ripped up right in the middle of the finger where it bends. He just like to attack my fingers out of the blue. Also he will chase my hand around cage but never puff up. Just nips and sometimes gets ahold of it to draw blood. I understand when going from big boys to them. But even after I have washed my hands good. Unless I have treats in my hand then he is nice about it. I can be petting the other little guys and he attack me but this is not all the time. Im puzzled

Throttle is having a hard time controlling his stress levels. Some days he needs to bite while other days he doesn't. The game of chase the hand is not good, it will only excite him and get him to want to bite the finger.
So it's best to only play with Throttle during out time, and only gentle play. When petting, only pet the top of his head for now. Some rats need a few months to really calm down.

No I don't play chase with him. I will be doing other things in the cage and he will goto what every level I'm at. Then try to attack my fingers and bite them. I'm now not touching him til he is coming out of the cage wanting something. I'm just ingnoring him til he plays nice. He only gets to smell back side of my hands for safety.

I have been bitten by the calmest boys from waking them up without announcing it. You should always say his name first make sure he knows that you are there then pet if you are going to try. For starters I would just make sure he is awake then I would give him treats for a while and keep hands off.

That boy isn't right in the head... he can be just fine, then all of a sudden he has a blank look on his face and is staring off into space and nothing can get his attention.... He's quite spooky....

dspch911 said:
jorats said:
dspch911 said:
After reading your post and putting things in perspective that is exactly what our Throttle is doing. We had him neutered because he was a terror in the cage to his brothers. He was always attacking someone. His neuter was May 21st - his cage behavior has improved, but he is now a biter. He has got me once, but that was a day or two after the neuter. He has gotten my bf a couple times now and will strike out of no where/for no reason. He will make it a point to go for his hand even if it isn't near him. Maybe something in their brains were effected from the anethesia?

How is Throttle with his cage buddies now?

Throttle was about 5 months old when neutered. He is much better with his cage mates. There are still fights, tussles, etc but NO where near as many as there used to be and sometimes he isn't even involved. Our biggest problem with him right now is the biting.

From my 10 year experience with tons of aggressive rats, I believe Throttle would have become people aggressive if he didn't have the rats to focus his stress on. So eventually, he would have turned out biting people regardless.
Something is setting him off. Think about a possible stresses. Any other pets around that could be scaring him? Any loud noises?
I wouldn't touch Throttle at all while in the cage, only outside of the cage and only if he wants to be touched. Let him come to you. Give him lots of healthy treats, show him that mom and dad are fun and good things happen when mom and dad are around.

jorats said:
dspch911 said:
jorats said:
dspch911 said:
After reading your post and putting things in perspective that is exactly what our Throttle is doing. We had him neutered because he was a terror in the cage to his brothers. He was always attacking someone. His neuter was May 21st - his cage behavior has improved, but he is now a biter. He has got me once, but that was a day or two after the neuter. He has gotten my bf a couple times now and will strike out of no where/for no reason. He will make it a point to go for his hand even if it isn't near him. Maybe something in their brains were effected from the anethesia?

How is Throttle with his cage buddies now?

Throttle was about 5 months old when neutered. He is much better with his cage mates. There are still fights, tussles, etc but NO where near as many as there used to be and sometimes he isn't even involved. Our biggest problem with him right now is the biting.

From my 10 year experience with tons of aggressive rats, I believe Throttle would have become people aggressive if he didn't have the rats to focus his stress on. So eventually, he would have turned out biting people regardless.
Something is setting him off. Think about a possible stresses. Any other pets around that could be scaring him? Any loud noises?
I wouldn't touch Throttle at all while in the cage, only outside of the cage and only if he wants to be touched. Let him come to you. Give him lots of healthy treats, show him that mom and dad are fun and good things happen when mom and dad are around.

Yes! the stupid squawking cat that is at it again and never wants to shut up!! He has more of a problem w/Al maybe cause he smells like the cat........ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34477

That could be it. But I also suspect due to the cat that there might be more stress from you and hubby too? I think you need to find peace with the cat so you can start to restore peace to your home, your relationship and your pets.

jorats said:
That could be it. But I also suspect due to the cat that there might be more stress from you and hubby too? I think you need to find peace with the cat so you can start to restore peace to your home, your relationship and your pets.

I'm working on that one. I still think she needs a friend! Little Oliver seems to be my cages brute now - just caught him on top of Popper and before that it was Grumpy... that little guy seems to be no match for the big ones.. :giggle:

It's very normal for cage scuffles and such. Especially males, they will always challenge the alpha. I raised two sons... and let me tell you, I'd rather deal with male rats. LOL

Thought I should update this thread. Although our Throttle is still a massive boy that stands like a bull dog and is all muscle - no squishy in him. He is a complete snuggler. In fact, we have to rescue him these days from the grasp of Snickers/Grumpy. He no longer terrorizes his cage mates or his parents. He climbs into my lap during out time - usually looking for a snack, some times for a place to hide. He's a keeper, although Kona would still disagree!!

That is great. I am glad to hear he is simmering down now. I had some boys seriiously take months. I am still waiting on Cooper to be nice to other rats he is still alone.

Back