Throttle - (UPDATE 12/7/13) pg 3

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Well, its been a week since the snip snip and I don't want to get my hopes up, but yesterday two things happened. #1, I put my hand into the cage twice to pet Throttle and he didn't attempt to bite me!!! #2, Popper was sniffing his butt and he didn't go after him. In fact, I haven't seen him go after anyone in a few days. Could he finally be controlling himself? Thanks to all of you for your advise if this is the new Throttle and his cagemates thank you also :bow:

:joy: For some of them, it's quite fast like that too. Keeping my fingers crossed that he continues to become the sweetheart he really is.

I spoke too soon!!! He's back to terriorizing his cagemates (mostly Axe), but not as viciously. He isn't however, biting his humans which is a good thing!! So he's still a work in progress, but he is getting there.. The younger ones are getting hormonal now - I've noticed Grumpy is getting in the mix. The other day Throttle had Axe pinned down (Axe just gives in) and Grumpy had Throttle's head pinned down. It was a three way pinning!! Oh my boys!!!

Oh dear silly hormonal boys. I hope one day soon there with be harmony within the group and they all get along.

I am sure he will continue to settle down over time. :)

When we had Maximus neutered, he still seemed aggressive to his brother Achilles, but just a teensy less hostile...then as time went by, he mellowed more and more. He is still the hyper jumping bean boy he always was, but now he is much sweeter and gentle with Achilles. Just took a little time!

He may never settle down completely, he could be the type of alpha that rules with an iron fist. So he may always pin and get the boys when they act up so to speak. Kinda like a grumpy old man and neighborhood boys LOL

Throttle is a new manrat!!! The other day he was minding his own busy just trying to eat his oxbow and Snickers kept attacking him. I'll be honest, I did have a moment of - how do you like it Throttle.., but Throttle man did not attack back he kept trying to walk away and Snickers just kept stalking him. Now when I hear squealing going on its usually Popper and Axe w/Throttle up on a hammock just watching. Not going to say he's a perfect boy now, but he's 85-90% better!! :joy: Even had him out for snuggle time and he just hung out on my shoulder. Not nipping or biting our hands anymore either!!!

Axe and Popper are next up on the 20th....

Throttle - oh that boy - he went after Al's finger twice over the weekend when he reached into pet him. Got it once - removing a bunch of skin... He is losing his patience with the boy and if he ever latches on it could be the end for Throttle. I have no idea what his problem is - one minute he's a sweet boy and demon boy the next!

Has he been doing this consistently since his neuter? how is he about biting when he is out of the cage? any chance he is just very cage aggressive?

One of my halfies is fine outside the cage, kind of a big bully but doesn't bite ppl or rats. In the cage, iits a different story. wiping down the shelf every day is a challenge. he will lunge at my fingers and bite if he can. I have to outsmart him to avoid bites.

That could be an issue to watch ... he has gotten me too when I went to pet him in the cage, but I never thought of that. He has not shown aggression to us when he has been outside the cage. I clean the cage with them in it, but don't recall him ever going after us during that - just when we go to pet him. He's unpredictable. He is fine when we are handing out treats and he's in the cage.

Some rats getting really upset when someone is in their home. I think it would be best to only interact with him outside the cage. And if you want to interact with him when not out time, let him climb up on you and then pet him. We really need to respect their space. We have no idea what goes through their minds, what is making him at that moment think he needs to defend his cage. It could be an odd smell, a new shadow that startled him... there are reasons, not obvious to us, but very obvious to him.

I tried to pet him yesterday after cage cleaning when he was at the edge by the doors, but I have to say I am a bit afraid of him... I had to scoop him up to put him in the the smaller cage and then back into the big cage and was quite nervous each time. Normally I would leave them in the DCN to clean it, but I was short on time and leaving them in there just takes extra time since they get in the way - Snicker stayed in since I couldn't catch that booger - but I am skittished of Throttle boy... although he made no attempt to go after my hand. However, at one point while I was cleaning the big boys - 3 little guys had Throttle pinned - I was so proud of them!!

Back