Throttle is done! 5/22 update ODD BEHAVIOR (pic added)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RattusNorvegicus said:
Wow...that neuter looks fantastic! So I can't really tell, is the incision at the very end of the scrotum?

That is how Dr Munn does it now, the incision is actually hidden between the folds of the teste, so you cannot see anything LOL I have never had a neuter abscess since then...I assume because its more up and away from the bedding and being peed on by silly boys etc

Today I cannot even tell he had surgery by looking at it, but oh my is he unruly!!! I got about .2 cc of the metacam in him this am before I had to leave for work. Later in the afternoon Al put Peanut in with him and said he became a puff ball and that didn't go well so he took him out. When I got home I put Oliver in for a visit - also did not go well. After I cleaned the little boys DCN we put Throttle back - oh boy! Puff ball. All the boys seem to be tussling today especially Axe, Popper, and Oliver. Throttle was all over the cage like he had never been in it before and the boys all seemed to be ganging up on him and were even blocking his way around as a group. Throttle seemed disorientated and was leaning on the cage walls when he was walking and also seemed to be dragging his butt - and he had a waddle walk. He was also giving his butt to all the boys and backing into them. He would then pancake and lay his head over the side of the shelf and doing the boggling thing with his eyes. I did start video taping him because he just seemed very off, but I couldn't get all the behavior on tape. He then went after Popper - and I mean in a weird way. He chased him from the top of the DCN to the bottom until Popper to went into a hanging "shoe" hideout, but Throttle then stalked him he stood at the opening of the shoe and wouldn't let him come out until we distracted them with food. Food was a whole different issue. No one wanted to go by him at this point and those that did he wouldn't let near the food??!! What is wrong with him???? He is going after everyone. At this point when Al would pick him up he squeaks - like a cry squeak so we gave him another .1 cc of the metacam and have put him back into his own cage for the night.

Some boys take pain horrible and will lash out when they are in pain You can do a video of him normal movements. if something isnt right with him we can usually spot it. Give him another day and then put them all on couch or something for out time see how that goes.

I cannot figure out how to post the video. I managed to download it to my computer, but that is as far as I can get. :gaah: Should we give him more metacam? He's just sprawled out in the cage now.

Go easy on the meta. check with someone like lilspaz to see if its okay. you do not want to OD him.
The walk almost sounds a bit like scent marking. you know, the way boys will get all poofy and rub their rumps and drag their bums around to mark. maybe with the clean cage and feeling threatened by his buddies, he was trying to re-establish his space?

Wasn't going to give him more that the .3 she said earlier unless instructed even though the doctor said .4 because I thought that was a bit much and didn't want to over do it. I thought about the scent marking so we took the hammock out of the cage he was in and put it in the clean cage so there was something in there that smelled like him. I'm just worried about the little guy, but maybe he is just cranky cause he's in pain or having discomfort. He's by himself for the night so he can rest.

Do you know what strength is the metacam? If it's the same as mine, that seems quite high.

Regardless, Throttle is being a bully and is lashing out. Some males, being away for just a day will turn them into meanies and intros should be started over again. Cages are always a sore spot for males.

How long after the neuter will boys be hormonal?
ETA never mind I saw your comment on my neuter post that said 2-4 weeks...thank you! Hopefully I can get my boys together after that time frame because Bailey still attacks the others as he demonstrated again tonight... little bum

The vet was suggesting 1 mg/kg, which is .4 ml for a 601 gram boy. I suggested .7 mg/kg (range is .5-2 mg/kg) so she had enough for 2 days. I personally use .8 mg/kg after surgery.

Silly boy marking his territory!!

We kept him apart for 1 day after the other incident and he didn't have a problem resocializing. I'm begining to think he likes being alone. My poor boy - Tried to give him .3 metacam this am, but I think he ended up wearing most of it :emb: Thanks for all the input and advise I'll take him out tonight with a couple of the other boys and see how it goes. I believe Axe and Popper are up next.

You can put the metacam in some food like yogurt or cool whip. That might make it a bit easier to get it all in him.
Good luck. Be patient. It might be easier to keep him on his own for a few weeks and then do intros all over again. If you can't trust him with the others right now, then it may be safer to separate temporarily.

:emb: :emb: DUH why didn't I think of that, he's been eating baby food like we're starving him!!! I should of put it in there :gaah: I cannot get him to drink water though unless its off a finger or in a water bottle cap - so I've been giving him cucumbers and apples to keep him hydrated. He is pooping (a lot and quite large ones) and urinating. He really seems to like sitting on our kitchen table next to the open window....

He has a water bottle - don't know why he doesn't want to use it. He is insisting on sleeping under it. Some how he managed to empty the whole thing into his cage while I was at work today.... no idea how guessing the ball stuck in a way that the water kept coming out. Well at least now I know he knows where it is and may have used it... Cheap bottle that came w/the cage.

Back