Throttle is done! 5/22 update ODD BEHAVIOR (pic added)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

was starting to second guess myself about this - until he got my finger again today!!! I still feel bad for him and will worry until they call and say he is done :heart: Last night there was a lot of screaming in his cage again and he was quite puffy so we know he was involved, but from across the room one of the big boys got puffy and was chattering - is that odd?

Chattering is a sign of intense stress. I look for that during intros and that is the one thing that will stop me from doing intros any longer that day.

He will be fine, just keep yourself busy while you wait. His daddy had a problem with anesthetic but none of his siblings or mommas have and we have had 9 of them done so far. You can let the vet know that sometimes it helps for them to have a background on the rats.

I will look for an update tomorrow. He will be a happier boy from it.

Thanks everyone. My big boys do the chatter before boggling when we stroke their backs, but this was the first time we noticed them upset from a tussle in the little boy's cage on the other side of the room. I will mention Throttle's daddy's problem with the anesthesia. Thanks

Dropped him off about 0745 - he was being so sweet, even licked me which he has never done! Still haven't heard anything :gaah: , but I have his recuperation cage all ready and waiting for him. Pleasantly surprised the bill is half of what they quoted me.

That's good, they should observe him for awhile. :) If he does run into issues they are better at treating it there at the clinic. Sounds like he is just fine and they are rightly doing the safe thing.

He was very groggy when I picked him up, but he has since perked up a bit and has been eating. Haven't seen him drink yet so I'm keeping an eye on that. He peed all over himself - tried to clean him up, but didn't want to hurt anything. Not sure on the snip snip I'm going to try and find pics on here - they really snipped his "balls off". I will try and post pics when Al gets home and one of us can hold him.

Don't think the metacam dose is correct and I discussed this w/doctor, but he says he looked it up although to him it seemed a bit much too. They also only gave me a dose for tomorrow, but I still have some left from the prior incident.

Metacam 1.5mg/ml, <2mls and he wants me to give him 0.4ml at once. He is 601g However, he said I can just give 0.1 ml and give some the next day if I'd like. We didn't even give Kona this much a day and he's much bigger! SUGGESTIONS/HELP ON THIS PLEASE!!!!!

if you have some left, give him .3 cc tomorrow, and the same the next day. I assume they gave him pain meds for today?

When you say "cut off his balls" please don't say they removed the testicles AND sacs? Normally its the removal of the innards not the actual sac.

Thanks for the med doses. I don't see a sac anymore that is why I was looking for some pics to compare. This is the best one I can get on my own - he isn't that cooperative. I was expecting to see a sac hanging that would shrink (like I did w/my dog years ago) or at least something like that.

I am glad he did well. yay for nutless boys. Generally the sac will stay puffy for a bit then the swelling goes down and you still see a sac but it will be empty LOL. The skin stays just the balls and fullness go away. Expect a possible abscess a hard round lump in the next few weeks they are difficult to avoid with internal sutures.

Oh good - thanks!! I was feeling so bad that maybe I took him to a bad vet... He is doing fine and eating like a piggy!!! I'm giving him stuff like apples, baby food that has fluid in it since I don't see him drinking. He got my finger again, but my fault for putting it between the bars to rub his pitiful head :emb: I will watch for abscesses and bad smells. Thanks again I feel much better....

Back