The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have photos of a healing neuter? I think I remember a thread about it but I can't locate it. My boy, Vincent, just came back from a neuter and I want to make sure things are okay. He has some mild dark spots around where the incisions were but I'm guessing it's from bruising/minor bleeding maybe.

Thank you! They look pretty close to those C: Makes me feel a lot better, I've never had to neuter a rat before so I was a bit anxious.

How long after a neuter should I wait before starting intros and how long until I can re-add hammocks into the cage? c:

Intros are between males? Or with intact females? With intact females, you should wait 2 weeks. But if it's between males, you could start as soon as your little guy looks up to it. About a week after neuter.
Hammocks can go in right away.

It's between an intact male and a neutered male. I was advised from the vet to prevent him jumping/climbing too much so I removed the hammocks. It's been about a week since the neuter so I assume it's okay right?

Few questions...
1) has anyone else had trouble with food orders? I scoured the county yesterday for food. No one had oxbow...and most didn't even have a small animal food to substitute. .only rabbit and guinea pig food!
I ended up making them a mix to substitute right now.

2) I have a rex, about 14 months old and he's losing his hair in patches. ..is this normal in adulthood? He's nearly a double rex now.

3)Also I had to have my biggest Nakie boy Wally's left eye removed..he got something in it and it slowly changed shape and I made the choice to spend the last bit of my savings on him. He was in so much discomfort. ..had to be painful. He's a champ at meds. Thank goodness. He hasn't lost any fiestyness or appetite :)
I have him on pressed paper, no aspen, they were only eating Oxbow. ..what could it have been? I'm so paranoid my other baby nakie boys will have problems. I don't know what else I can do. I don't give those groups anything in shell...I peel everything. ..so frustrating

Last edited:
So, I have a problem because my rats stink (and they live in my room) At this point, I don't even notice the smell anymore, and I doubt anyone else in the family does, but to other people, you know, they smell. Ive gone through different beddings and I use fleece right now, I find it works best (and is the cheapest!) But the smell just comes naturally off the rats. My mom bought me a scented candle, and I was wondering if its safe to use it around the rats?

So, I have a problem because my rats stink (and they live in my room) At this point, I don't even notice the smell anymore, and I doubt anyone else in the family does, but to other people, you know, they smell. Ive gone through different beddings and I use fleece right now, I find it works best (and is the cheapest!) But the smell just comes naturally off the rats. My mom bought me a scented candle, and I was wondering if its safe to use it around the rats?
I wouldn't recommend burning candles in a close vicinity to rats. It will often times irritate their lungs and cause them respiratory problems.
How many rats do you have? There's no reason they should be stinky...
What's your cleaning schedule?

I wouldn't recommend burning candles in a close vicinity to rats. It will often times irritate their lungs and cause them respiratory problems.
How many rats do you have? There's no reason they should be stinky...
What's your cleaning schedule?

I clean their cage once every two-three days. I have two of them.....

Few questions...
1) has anyone else had trouble with food orders? I scoured the county yesterday for food. No one had oxbow...and most didn't even have a small animal food to substitute. .only rabbit and guinea pig food!
I ended up making them a mix to substitute right now.

2) I have a rex, about 14 months old and he's losing his hair in patches. ..is this normal in adulthood? He's nearly a double rex now.

3)Also I had to have my biggest Nakie boy Wally's left eye removed..he got something in it and it slowly changed shape and I made the choice to spend the last bit of my savings on him. He was in so much discomfort. ..had to be painful. He's a champ at meds. Thank goodness. He hasn't lost any fiestyness or appetite :)
I have him on pressed paper, no aspen, they were only eating Oxbow. ..what could it have been? I'm so paranoid my other baby nakie boys will have problems. I don't know what else I can do. I don't give those groups anything in shell...I peel everything. ..so frustrating

1) guineapig and rabbit food probably have a lot of roughage like alfalfa which a rat won't get much/any nutrition out of. If you have a Pet Valu, they usually carry Oxbow, or at least Living World Extrusion for Hamsters (which is a very good rat block). I would even buy high quality dog kibble (lowest protein and fat you can find) instead of using the GP and bunny food, until you can find some good food again.

2) Rexes often get very patchy as they age...most thin out when they are older but I have had a few that started soon after their first birthday. As long as there's no scabs and the skin looks healthy, don't worry.

3) No matter how much we want to wrap up our nakies with bubblewrap to protect them we cannot. They do not have the same protection as furred rats and are much more prone to eye issues/punctures and infections. His eye ruptured it sounds like, with the vitreous fluid leaking out and the eye changing shape. This can be from something simple like a non-deliberate scratch to the eye or a mild tussle with cagemates. I love my nakies but wish desperately people would stop breeding them!

Thanks for the post about the grubby bottom rungs of the CN cages- ( I have 3 doubles and a martin in the basement which is the emergency cage for power outages in summer)

I am curious about the handles on the CN cages as well- I have 3 handles where the powered plating has dissolved ! showing red metal ! no idea what that that is!
luckly the rats don't touch the outside handles but we sure do -! should I do a extra tough cleaning on the doors - Saying during their night time free play -
where I could take all the doors off and scrub in the bathtub

then cover those three with what ?? clear nail polish ? I would really worry about the length of time that would smell - wouldnt put the doors back on
if they still smelled of nail polish ! any other Ideas on what else I could use to cover that bare metal up-
or say a handmade handle cover ?

I have one gal getting over Pneumonia , just turned the corner last night - so I certainly do not want to add any toxic fumes to the air in their room ,

ALSO ON that TOPIC and I'll post this on the Heath or 911 board -

is Pneumonia contagious ??

Thanks J

Mom of Harper ( 4 1/2- 5 yrs old) , Leia ( over 4 yrs old ) , Molly and Dooby ( 2 yr old dumbos /blaze and a cap )
and the twins ( Wiggles and Tierra- 14 months )

Passed over beloved : heart rat - Sophie, Melba, Junebug, Banjo, Lola, Gigi and Nicole aka Bear

Thank you lilspaz! It seems they have discontinued the hamster extrusion line. Haven't been able to find it since Petsmart had 2 bags on clearance. I looked for any small animal pellet for rats or mice or even hamsters!
I have bags on order specially for me from Pet Valu! Just waiting on it.

Thank you lilspaz! It seems they have discontinued the hamster extrusion line. Haven't been able to find it since Petsmart had 2 bags on clearance. I looked for any small animal pellet for rats or mice or even hamsters!
I have bags on order specially for me from Pet Valu! Just waiting on it.

can you order from amazon? I've found the Living World hamster extrusion from them but it did look like they were going to be discontinuing it.

Back