The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor little guy, it could very well be a PT.

Sigh, I was really hoping it wasn't but I sort of knew it was. He reminds me a lot of how Zephye was early on. I'm just disheartened that Nemo has it too when his cage mate also had PT. I just hope he responds will to the cab.

What else could cause such an extreme switch from being normal and then lethargic? (Other than PT which I think it is but now I'm not sure) I've given Nemo cab and he hasn't gotten worse or better (it's only been 3 days). He doesn't move much on his own, he'll still try to eat by himself though and will sometimes drag himself around the cage. Most times he lies there and is basically a limp sausage when I hold him. (only kicking about when I'm trying to clean him). I don't think he's been drinking much of his water so I've been syringing him some.

A bladder infection can do it too as well as severe respiratory infection.
Are you able to give him prednisolone or dexamethasone? That should give him a big boost.

I could bring him to a vet but it's freezing cold outside and I'm not sure I want to risk bringing him out on the long bus ride in his state.

He has more symptoms of PT, he started knuckling and having a harder time holding his food now. He seems to feel a bit better now, moving about his cage more.
I can't imagine it being a severe URI since he was on medication for his previous URI and only finished a few days before this started. Not sure about the bladder infection, his pee doesn't have blood in it nor does it smell bad.

Sooner is always better, but if you can't go until Tuesday it will be imperative you keep hydration levels and food intake adequate.

Is it really worth forcing cab into a rat if it stresses them out? Nemo has REALLY improved on the cab and he fights with so much vigor to not be medicated now. He has a constant URI apparently mostly in his nose since his lungs are clear. And you can hear him whining and making clucking noises when I try to give him medicine. :c I feel sort of bad since it seems to be awful for him. I wish I could make him understand that it's making him better.

The congestion I definitely think is from the PT, he was treated for a URI for almost 2 months before the PT symptoms started. They never went away and his lungs are clear from what the vet told me. Maybe I'll try to food before giving the cab, though he despises seeing the syringe now and knows exactly what's going to happen. I just hate forcing him to take it, it's barely .1ml that I dilute into water. I'll continue of course.

I have another rat that needs to take 4 types of medication right now (twice a day of course), I have zero ideas how to get him to take it. He refuses it mixed with food and I don't want to force him (nor do I really want to waste more doses trying to get him to eat it on his own). He hates being handled to begin with due to his history and I don't want to re-associate human hands with someone negative. He used to bite when being touched and ooze/claw/struggle if you tried to hold him. He's gotten almost 150% better since then but I don't want him to start fearing hands again

That's the worst part is trying to make them better when they don't know what's good for them. I normally do the forcing because I can't waste any meds, much too expensive. But I try to give them an awesome treat after I do the forcing.

That's the worst part is trying to make them better when they don't know what's good for them. I normally do the forcing because I can't waste any meds, much too expensive. But I try to give them an awesome treat after I do the forcing.

He's actually such a champ with being forced medicated unlike Nemo who is okay with hands. It ABSOLUTELY surprised me. He's still scared obviously but he'll let me do it without too much of a fuss. I was just worried he might start nipping again because he'd associate hands with negative things. :C He gets yummy treats after he's done trying to wipe his face and get the taste out. Aha. I'm just glad this is going okay, I was really worried wasting so much medication with it only partially getting in there.

Another question, I've noticed really gross soft stool in the cage now. Could the medication be upsetting his stomach (or maybe the stuff I've been trying to mix it in)? He's on Clavamox, metacam, theon-something, and baytril. If so is there any way I can help him? I can't imagine having bad poops feels good for the poor boy. (I'm also doubting it's the other boy since he's completely healthy and hasn't eaten weird/new foods)

Are you giving probiotics? Amoxicillin really upset Sheldon's tummy when she was on it. She was a wheel girl so there was diarrhea sloshed all in the inside. Truly disgusting. Benebac made all the difference.

Why is he on Clavamox? Clavamox can definitely upset the tummy. You can give probiotics or pumpkin puree, not the pie filling. If you have the good probiotics, the kind kept in the fridge and dark bottle, then I'd do that.

Why is he on Clavamox? Clavamox can definitely upset the tummy. You can give probiotics or pumpkin puree, not the pie filling. If you have the good probiotics, the kind kept in the fridge and dark bottle, then I'd do that.

Part of his top left lung is consolidated, the vet prescribed Clavamox to try and help fight the infection I believe. He was on Doxy and Baytril before but it did little to help his breathing. Thus why he's on 4 kinds of medication right now. My vet wasn't totally sure the Clavamox will help 100% but she said to try for at least 2 weeks to see if it helps him improve at all.

I can definitely go find some pumpkin puree.

Oh... too bad vet didn't do Zithro/Baytril combo.

It was actually the rescue that gave me the doxy and baytril at first since Bandit is a foster (that I was adopting so I guess he's pretty much adopted at this point). I took him to the vet since he wasn't improving and got an x-ray since we were worried it might've been a mass in his chest.
Usually my vet prescribes Zithro and doxy for my usual URI issues.

Back