The Olympic Thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooy

Instead of multiple threads on the Olympics, lets just have one!
Post updates, medal counts, what you think here!

Luger dies in training
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/luge/story/2 ... alert.html
Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, who suffered a horrific crash Friday in an Olympic training run at Whistler, has died, the International Olympic Committee confirmed to CBC.

Kumaritashvili was coming around the final 270-degree turn, where speeds approach 140 km/h, when he flipped off his sled and flew into a metal pole.

Medics administered CPR to the 21-year-old from Borjomi, Georgia, before he was lifted into an ambulance. An air-rescue helicopter arrived eight minutes after the crash.

Training was suspended indefinitely. Members of the International Luge Federation were called for a briefing and team captains from each country were asked to attend a

Zooy said:
Luger dies in training
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/luge/story/2 ... alert.html
Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, who suffered a horrific crash Friday in an Olympic training run at Whistler, has died, the International Olympic Committee confirmed to CBC.

Kumaritashvili was coming around the final 270-degree turn, where speeds approach 140 km/h, when he flipped off his sled and flew into a metal pole.

Medics administered CPR to the 21-year-old from Borjomi, Georgia, before he was lifted into an ambulance. An air-rescue helicopter arrived eight minutes after the crash.

Training was suspended indefinitely. Members of the International Luge Federation were called for a briefing and team captains from each country were asked to attend a

Thats so sad :(

The crash was pretty horrible to watch. So sad that he died. I guess he was a young newbie to the sport. So sad that he didn't even get a chance to compete :( My condolences to his parents and family.

I've been watching it for most of the day and I have found a common occurrence. When they follow the torch barer they keep the camera on them but as soon as they stop when they're around First Nations people or Sikhs for example they give them maybe 2 min not even and cut away. But any white people they give them all the time in the world. I have also noticed that when the reporters stop to ask questions it is always white people before any other race.
I find this interesting because they keep saying how we're such a diverse nation but yet they can't even ask a First Nations person how they feel about the Olympics? It's quite sad really that we're still so white.

I'm in Vancouver. I'm not pro Olympics. It's all fun and games on tv and I originally thought it was going to be interesting when we won the bid... But the closer it got to the games, I changed my opinion. We could have spent the money so much better... better health care, social housing etc.

I also happen to be only 7 blocks away from an Olympic venue and I feel like I'm being taken hostage. Cops everywhere. You are not allowed to stop your car on many streets. There is zero street parking for visitors even on the side streets which means that my friends can't come and visit. One of our favorite parks that we go to all the time is blocked off to the public. I'm sure our small local businesses are going to suffer because there's simply no parking.

My husband works downtown, had to get special ID/clearance to even get into the building where he works (used by media)... even getting to work is a nightmare, lots of major streets are completely closed.

There's a ton of helicopters up in the air as well as military planes.... Noise levels has gone way up.

I can't wait until it's over basically.... But we'll spend years paying the games off :roll: I do have to say that I am going to visit the Swiss House (I'm Swiss) and treat myself to a nice Raclette and Rivella. That is the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Locked out from one of our fav parks! :(

batman%20075a.jpg

Poor Charlie.

I don't have cable so all I get are local channels... which means my airwaves are going to be held hostage as of this evening. Mike is making us watch the opening ceremonies right now, but after tonight I hope to not watch a moment of it.

I ended up falling asleep during the ceremony and apparently missed the fact that the flame couldn't be lit indoors and had to be taken outdoors.
Oh well.

They lit one indors but one of the things didn't work lol and they also had an outside torch too which looked like the one inside.
I missed the cool parts when the floor looked like water and there were killer whales! Stupid work *grumbles*

I found the Opening Ceremony a bit boring. The special effects were fabulous but too much time was spent just waiting around for them to happen. The music was a bit of a snore fest too. K.D. Lang was the only bright spot. She has such a great voice. To this day I think the closing ceremonies of the '88 Calgary Olympics were the best. K.D. Land stole that show too. No one has yet to beat that party - it was fun just to watch it!

I use to watch the Olympics faithly as a child. I have not interest in it anymore because politics is so much involved. I agree with littledevil that the money they are spending on these games is terrible. It is too bad that they have to spend so much on security but it is today society that has forced them to do this. I could go on and on about this but I will be counting the days until they are over too and I don't even live there. For you people who like the games , enjoy them.

Ann

WHOO! GO CANADA! 18-0 Women's Hockey! And a silver in women's freestyle moguls! We also have a men's finalist for speed skating :D Great to hear.

I'm incredibly glad Canada won the bid for the Olympics. I think it's a pity they had to pick Vancouver, it would have made more sense to pick somewhere that a) has more snow, and b) has more space to build around (ie Blue Mountain in Ontario possibly), but I think the attention is great!

GO CANADA GO!

So I'm being forced to watch the olympics right now and, okay, some of it is fun. But I am sick of all the interviews and the other CRAP that they do! So much of the TV time is spent with people sitting around and yakking, I'd rather watch practice sessions than a lot of the other junk. There's events happening pretty much 24/7, why do I have to watch hosts and commentators talk to athletes who competed 30 odd years ago?

I too agree... the opening ceremony, the small bits I would see was not very impressive. Poor Wayne Gretzky didn't look impressed in the rain on the bad of that pick up truck.

But... I hate sports, including the Olympics, not much for competition either. Scott on the other hand likes to keep the TV tuned to the Olympics. bleh

First gold to a Canadian on Canadian soil: Alexandre Bilodeau in mens freestyle (Moguls). It was an amazing performance. I've found myself to be quite the fan of the moguls now, so I was extremely excited to watch this one!

GRATS to CANADA! GO CANADA GO (for the gold!)

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

My husband loves watching sports but I would rather be on the computer :giggle: but I did enjoy watching the skating this afternoon :)

Im very pleased with canada for our gold! (we should of got it for ladies moguls too, lol)

I love sports in general, pretty much anything, so olympics are generally on tv :)

Lina said:
My husband loves watching sports but I would rather be on the computer :giggle: but I did enjoy watching the skating this afternoon :)

i get both ;) hehhe my laptop so i can be on the computer and im in front (obviously, lol) of my tv! lol

Back